Microsoft caught lying on their official website about Hyper V

So, I recently heard that Hyper V can run on 4GB RAM which is what's on my PC. I got this info from the Microsoft official website. This got me really excited as I thought that virtualization needed gargantuan amounts of RAM. So, I went to the official website and followed all the steps to create a virtual machine running Ubuntu 20.04 as this version is much faster than 18.04. I downloaded my virtual machine and tried to start it; guess what happened next. It said that I ran out of RAM. The thing is, minimum requirements don't mean that whatever software you wanna run should run well, they mean that it should at least function which is exactly what DIDN'T happen.

Edited by Ramsey Marwan
I made a mistake so I don't want anyone to get fooled and think that microsoft is lying or anything.

1 minute ago, Ramsey Marwan said:

So, I recently heard that Hyper V can run on 4GB RAM which is what's on my PC. I got this info from the Microsoft official website. This got me really excited as I thought that virtualization needed gargantuan amounts of RAM. So, I went to the official website and followed all the steps to create a virtual machine running Ubuntu 20.04 as this version is much faster than 18.04. I downloaded my virtual machine and tried to start it; guess what happened next. It said that I ran out of RAM. The thing is, minimum requirements don't mean that whatever software you wanna run should run well, they mean that it should at least function which is exactly what DIDN'T happen.

oh man

that cucks

Link to their claim?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, Ramsey Marwan said:

It said that I ran out of RAM

If you don't have a discrete GPU and are only running on an iGPU, that iGPU will reserve a portion of your RAM and thus you don't actually have 4GB available for the system -- could be your issue.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Windows 10's background tasks alone chews 3GB of system memory, so much more if there's a VM running. Imo, 8GB is the minimum of Windows 10 and third party programs to run smoothly.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Posts in the news section have to follow the posting guidelines, moved to Servers and NAS.

Also post a screenshot of the VM configuration you used, there are different ways of allocating ram to VMs in Hyper-V. Also just because the minimum is 4GB doesn't actually mean you can run any VM with any configuration, that's not how things work.

Well, you can run virtual machines on 4GB of RAM, HyperV included. That being said, Windows 10 is a massive RAM hog and it doesn't help matters that you really want more RAM for a good VM experience.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

If you have an iGPU or other programs in the background then no you don't have 4GB of ram available.

Also if your OS hasn't been clean installed in a while it will use more ram.

Also, what kind of crap computer do you have that only has 4GB of ram???

It's 2020, not 2002, you should have at the very least 8-16.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have used hyper-v on systems with 4gb of ram before(and a igpu) it works fine.

What exact error did you get?

How much ram did you give the vm?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have used hyper-v on systems with 4gb of ram before(and a igpu) it works fine.

What exact error did you get?

How much ram did you give the vm?

I think the problem is too much other things were running and Ubuntu 20.04 itself lists 4GB memory as a requirement. So even if moving to dynamic memory allocation allows the VM to start there isn't actually enough system resources to run the VM and not have massive performance issues on the host OS and the VM OS.

Just now, leadeater said:

I think the problem is too much other things were running and Ubuntu 20.04 itself lists 4GB memory as a requirement. So even if moving to dynamic memory allocation allows the VM to start there isn't actually enough system resources to run the VM and not have massive performance issues on the host OS and the VM OS.

yea get more ram.

4gb seems ofely high for 2004, should work fine on less. I don't think its a hard requirment.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea get more ram.

4gb seems ofely high for 2004, should work fine on less. I don't think its a hard requirment.

I only run 20.04 Server so wouldn't know, but it's not like Windows 10 is light on resources so unless Ubuntu can run on like 512MB or 1GB bad times ahead 😉

Minimum of 4 GB memory. As virtual machines share memory with the Hyper-V host, you will need to provide enough memory to handle the expected virtual workload.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I only run 20.04 Server so wouldn't know, but it's not like Windows 10 is light on resources so unless Ubuntu can run on like 512MB or 1GB bad times ahead 😉

chuckles, who needs ram when you hava swap. I have ran 10 windows 10 vms on 4gb of ram before. 

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It'll run even if you only give it 1GB RAM, it'll just most likely end up swapping quite a bit. Obviously, tasks such as browsing the web or such things will be rather....chuggy.

EDIT: Just out of sheer curiosity, I booted up my Fecal Fossil VM with only 1GB RAM allocated to it. Had 146MiB free RAM, if we discount any cached data.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It'll run even if you only give it 1GB RAM, it'll just most likely end up swapping quite a bit. Obviously, tasks such as browsing the web or such things will be rather....chuggy.

Well I mean that is the point, turning on is one thing but actually working is another. The VM isn't going to know that it's memory is sitting in Windows swap either which was more my point, you can give it 4GB of ram in the VM config, enable dynamic allocation so it'll actually start but if Windows 10 is chewing 3.8GB of 4GB and won't release it the Ubuntu VM has to run with basically zero actual ram. VMs running in VM swap is a really bad experience, almost nobody does it on ESXi because of just how bad it is, many have no idea that ESXi actually has VM swap space and you can over provision host memory.

I can run a Windows 7 VM for my old Nissan FAST software with 512MB of ram no problem.....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea get more ram.

i don't care. Microsoft said it can run on 4GB so that's what is supposed to happen. It's not my fault. They explicitly lied

52 minutes ago, the sff pc dude said:

oh man

that cucks

Yeah. I am considering getting a RAM upgrade but that won't fix the problem on Microsoft's end.

5 minutes ago, Ramsey Marwan said:

i don't care. Microsoft said it can run on 4GB so that's what is supposed to happen. It's not my fault. They explicitly lied

No, they didn't lie. You can run a basic VM on just 4GB of RAM -- it doesn't mean you can run everything you might think of on it. Also, you haven't said how much RAM you gave the VM; how much did you give the VM?

7 minutes ago, Ramsey Marwan said:

Have you selected this option on the VM?

Hyper-V dynamic memory - Managing VM RAM better way

I think you'll find it'll start once you do that.

Edit:

Also lower the startup RAM, that's what's used to check if the VM is allowed to start, put it down at like 256MB.

Just now, WereCatf said:

No, they didn't lie. You can run a basic VM on just 4GB of RAM -- it doesn't mean you can run everything you might think of on it. Also, you haven't said how much RAM you gave the VM; how much did you give the VM?

Oh, that was a mistake on my end. I guess ill delete the post. Sorry to anyone who got fooled

Guys, I made a mistake on my end. I can't delete the post and have to ask a mod. I am sorry for misleading anyone who got fooled by this. Anyways, can someone help me get in touch with a mod to delete this for me?

11 minutes ago, Ramsey Marwan said:

Guys, I made a mistake on my end. I can't delete the post and have to ask a mod. I am sorry for misleading anyone who got fooled by this. Anyways, can someone help me get in touch with a mod to delete this for me?

I wouldn't worry about it, topic has been moved out of the news section already and most people here don't care if someone got something wrong 🙂

I can hide the topic if you really want.