The best Z490 Motherboard

Hi,

Just wondering, what's the best Z490 motherboard ? My budget is around 350-450 euro's, and I will be using it with for my 10900K and my 16 GB (2X8GB) of G.SKILL Trident Z 4800 Mhz CL19 ram. I want to make sure I buy a Z490 motherboard that lets me overclock my 10900K to the limit and support at least 4600-4800 Mhz ram without any issue.

Thanks !

I'd go Asus or EVGA if they release anytime soon. I've always had EVGA for intel there are very good overclocks.

The chip itself I don't think it will go to far but that maybe was just the cpu I worked with.

So asus rog strix is nice and the maximus.

First watercooled System

Build Name: Frost

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

Top Rad & Fans:  Corsair 54mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB Fans

Side Rad & Fans: Corsair 30mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans

Motherboard: Asrock X670E Steel Legend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D w/ Corsair XC7 RGB Pro w/ Kyrosheet

Memory/RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 2x16GB 32GB 6000Mhz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF w/ EK-Quantum Vector2 Nickel/Plexi & Backplate

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD5 RGB

Coolant: EK Mystic Fog

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe

WZ/2042 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Game SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Performance/Editing HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Storage HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition/Razer Mamba

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM700 RGB

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast

Headset: Razer Blackshark v2 Pro

Eyewear/Glasses: Gunnar Optiks Razer FPS

Camera: Razer Kiyo Pro

Why such high-frequency memory? You're spending so much extra on the RAM that could be put for other improvements, but gain so little extra performance.

As for best - define best. Do you want watercooling (VRMs that is then)? Do you want 2.5G LAN? Do you care about Thunderbolt 3? How many USB/SATA ports or internal USB or fan headers? What size are you looking at (ATX, mATX, mITX)?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 hour ago, Super panda said:

Hi,

Just wondering, what's the best Z490 motherboard ? My budget is around 350-450 euro's, and I will be using it with for my 10900K and my 16 GB (2X8GB) of G.SKILL Trident Z 4800 Mhz CL19 ram. I want to make sure I buy a Z490 motherboard that lets me overclock my 10900K to the limit and support at least 4600-4800 Mhz ram without any issue.

Thanks !

The best board that might fit your budget would be the Asus Maximus XII Apex. The Formula is 100$ more. 

19 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The best board that might fit your budget would be the Asus Maximus XII Apex. The Formula is 100$ more. 

^

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, jj9987 said:

Why such high-frequency memory? You're spending so much extra on the RAM that could be put for other improvements, but gain so little extra performance.

As for best - define best. Do you want watercooling (VRMs that is then)? Do you want 2.5G LAN? Do you care about Thunderbolt 3? How many USB/SATA ports or internal USB or fan headers? What size are you looking at (ATX, mATX, mITX)?

Why such high-frequency memory? Well I have a rtx 2080 Ti and 1440P 240HZ monitor so gaining as much fps as possible on 1440P low/med setting is my main goal :) For me the best motherboard would be the one that has good VRM's and allows me to get the most of my new 10900K CPU and supports very high memory frequency. The size I'm looking for is ATX. Also I'm using a 360mm aio for the cooling

2 minutes ago, Super panda said:

Why such high-frequency memory? Well I have a rtx 2080 Ti and 1440P 240HZ monitor so gaining as much fps as possible on 1440P low/med setting is my main goal :) For me the best motherboard would be the one that has good VRM's and allows me to get the most of my new 10900K CPU and supports very high memory frequency. The size I'm looking for is ATX. Also I'm using a 360mm aio for the cooling

That 4800 mhz ram will do you absolutely nothing interms of ram

Your running an Intel cpu not an AMD one where multiple ccxs are a problem

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

28 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I see, here in my country I can get the MSI MEG Z490 ACE , Gigabyte Z490 AORUS MASTER and Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) at around the same price. Which one would you exacly recommend ? not sure if the maxumus XII Apex is available yet 

Just now, Super panda said:

I see, here in my country I can get the MSI MEG Z490 ACE , Gigabyte Z490 AORUS MASTER and Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) at around the same price. Which one would you exacly recommend ? not sure if the maxumus XII Apex is available yet 

The Asus Maximus XII Hero..... Although those are all great boards, I prefer Asus.

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

That 4800 mhz ram will do you absolutely nothing interms of ram

Your running an Intel cpu not an AMD one where multiple ccxs are a problem

Ic, I thought the higher frequency memory would slightly help ^^ I'm still going to buy at least a 4400 mhz ram tho, just looking for an ATX Z490 motherboard that is good for overclocking at around 400$ ish price range

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The Asus Maximus XII Hero..... Although those are all great boards, I prefer Asus.

Ok will check it out, thx for the reply ^

1 minute ago, Super panda said:

Ic, I thought the higher frequency memory would slightly help ^^ I'm still going to buy at least a 4400 mhz ram tho, just looking for an ATX Z490 motherboard that is good for overclocking at around 400$ ish price range

The board and Cpu will likely do well over 4000mhz depending on the sticks you purchase. 

16GB 2x8 overclocks easier than 32GB 2x16 sticks. Just a heads up there.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

The board and Cpu will likely do well over 4000mhz depending on the sticks you purchase. 

16GB 2x8 overclocks easier than 32GB 2x16 sticks. Just a heads up there.

Yep , deff going for 16GB for now and I'm happy as long as I can get 4400Mhz or above working on the motherboard, I have heard people had a lot trouble getting anything above 4266 Mhz on the older Z390 motherboards :d

2 minutes ago, Super panda said:

Yep , deff going for 16GB for now and I'm happy as long as I can get 4400Mhz or above working on the motherboard, I have heard people had a lot trouble getting anything above 4266 Mhz on the older Z390 motherboards :d

It's not the boards (usually) that top out. It's the processor's integrated memory controller that tops out. My 8700K is good for 4300mhz. I can get a higher freequency, but be damned to get it stable.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's not the boards (usually) that top out. It's the processor's integrated memory controller that tops out. My 8700K is good for 4300mhz. I can get a higher freequency, but be damned to get it stable.

Do u think a decent Z490 mobo with 10900K would be able to get me a stable 4400+mhz ? My old 9700K wasn't good enough for anything above 4133mhz...

Just now, Super panda said:

Do u think a decent Z490 mobo with 10900K would be able to get me a stable 4400+mhz ? My old 9700K wasn't good enough for anything above 4133mhz...

You're rolling the dice on the memory controller. I cannot say yes or no. 

What exactly is the memory you are using or going to use if you don't mind I ask?

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

What exactly is the memory you are using or going to use if you don't mind I ask?

But I mean the imc on Intel cpu's is just day and night better than amd's so I'm sure it'll handle it no problem 

While I think this is a waste if money to spend that much on such binned ddr4 sticks (considering ddr5 will be utilized Soon) 

But maybe it's future proof ;)

Build Log: 

This is the memory I'm using right now with my 9700K https://www.bol.com/nl/p/g-skill-trident-z-rgb-16gb-ddr4-4133mhz/9200000077949613/?country=BE#product_specifications

And the memory I'm going to be using for my 10900K is probably this one https://www.megekko.nl/product/2046/1044929/DDR4-Geheugen/G-Skill-DDR4-Trident-Z-Royal-2x8GB-4800Mhz-F4-4800C18D-16GTRS-Geheugenmodule

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I think he said some sort of trident z Samsung b die 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Super panda said:

Yea the Royal Z is top end. 4800mhz at CL18. That's A rated. Again, still a toss of the dice with that imc.

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

But I mean the imc on Intel cpu's is just day and night better than amd's so I'm sure it'll handle it no problem 

While I think this is a waste if money to spend that much on such binned ddr4 sticks (considering ddr5 will be utilized Soon) 

But maybe it's future proof ;)

You're right that Intel has diminishing returns at a certain point. However the faster you go, the lower than latency gets.

It'll be great for system responsiveness and work related computing with lots of reads and writes from the drives for sure.

Gaming performance the faster you go, the lesser the gains on Intel. The scaling drops, you are correct.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You're right that Intel has diminishing returns at a certain point. However the faster you go, the lower than latency gets.

It'll be great for system responsiveness and work related computing with lots of reads and writes from the drives for sure.

Gaming performance the faster you go, the lesser the gains on Intel. The scaling drops, you are correct.

Yea and considing it has one ccx, latency while still a problem  definitely gets to a point where it is good enough ;)

Build Log: 

Yep I'm very well aware of the diminishing returns at this point :D But the thing is, with intel you can at least get a 4000Mhz memory working easly without messing up the latency and stuff but with AMD you can't go above 3600Mhz ram or else it won't be 1:1 ratio anymore and you will actually start losing performance due to the Infinity fabric