9900k vs 10900k

so after months of struggling and having utilities shut off and barely eating due to the government shutting both my jobs down, not getting a stimulus, and unemployment dicking me around for 3 months, it finally decided to kick in all at once.. So now i magically have thousands upon thousands of dollars in my account, all my bills are paid off, fridge is full of food, and theres enough left over to play with. Thank you Karma for doing something right for once!

anyway, i went on newegg and priced out an amazing pc: i9 9900k, msi godlike mobo, 32gb dominator platinum ram @4ghz, asus 2080ti, 80+ platinum 1000 watt psu, several new ssd's and nvme ssd's, etc etc etc..

But after hovering over the final "buy" button for a few minutes thinking, im stuck on what to do now.. do i go drop the 4 grand on this current build immediately (because im impatient), or is the 10900k and some great z490 mobo really gonna be worth the wait? should i wait a few days/weeks/ months for everyone to get their products in stock? i feel like i want to.. but then again the 19 9900k and the godlike z390 is plenty powerful. more power than ive ever had in a pc. but still, the newer stuff is better, and better on thermals, but im impatient. but itll be worth it. but i wont even notice any difference. but maybe i will...................

I'm legitimately stuck. I can afford to custom build a pc and buy whatever i want only very evry very rarely. if not for the random extra 600 bucks a week, and the last 3 months of back pay i wouldnt be able to afford this at all. my normal life is check to check and 80 hour weeks to afford life. So this is a huge blessing! i dont want to waste it. My current pc is an i7 4790k, 32gb ddr3, rx580.. so no matter what i get itll blow my current pc out of the water. I just dont want to regret not waiting if the 10 series stuff will be dramatically better than the 9 series.

Who has an opinion and cares to shower me with your advice and words of wisdom?

29 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

words of wisdom

29 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

so after months of struggling and having utilities shut off and barely eating

> Put some money away for a rainy day. The rain will come again, and there may or may not be stimulus then. Dropping $4K into something that's going to be nearly worthless in 5-10 years isn't a wise financial decision. If you must upgrade, you could temper it back to half the price, and still have a nice setup.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Gamers Nexus did a video with benchmarks of the 10900k, it's a good CPU, going to be priced around $500 to $540. So around where the 9900k was brand new, they compare it directly to the 9900k so I would watch it and judge for yourself, from what I saw the gaming performance at stock clocks for both were fairly close, the 10900k is clearly a better overclocker though, I'd say if you already have a 9900k it's not worth the upgrade (but since you don't it may be more worth it for you to go 10900k). I'd wait in either case and see how much the 9900k drops to used or new when the 10900k comes out. I bet there will still be people that upgrade to it then sell their 9900k on the low. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

> Put some money away for a rainy day. The rain will come again, and there may or may not be stimulus then. Dropping $4K into something that's going to be nearly worthless and 5-10 years isn't a wise financial decision. If you must upgrade, you could temper it back to half the price, and still have a nice setup.

i agree with everything you said, but i didnt tell the whole life story which would explain why i believe its ok to do this. ill have roughly 2 grand left over after buying this pc. and i also get nearly a grand every week, and by the time the unemployment runs out ill be back to work and therefore good again. trust me, if 4 grand was all i had it wouldnt be going to a computer. there definitely shall be rainy days to come. and i figured 2 grand is a good leg to stand on in another emergency.

26 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

My current pc is an i7 4790k, 32gb ddr3, rx580

With Nvidia's new GPUs and AMD's new CPUs I think some time in Q3 or Q4, buying now (especially with that much money) is a recipe for buyer's remorse. If you just want to game, find a good deal on say RTX 2060S/2070 to replace the RX 580 will be enough.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Gamers Nexus did a video with benchmarks of the 10900k, it's a good CPU, going to be priced around $500 to $540. So around where the 9900k was brand new, they compare it directly to the 9900k so I would watch it and judge for yourself, from what I saw the gaming performance at stock clocks for both were fairly close, the 10900k is clearly a better overclocker though, I'd say if you already have a 9900k it's not worth the upgrade (but since you don't it may be more worth it for you to go 10900k). I'd wait in either case and see how much the 9900k drops to used or new when the 10900k comes out. I bet there will still be people that upgrade to it then sell their 9900k on the low. 

i watched this video earlier today. and several others. I'm paranoid about buying used cpu's. id probably still buy new regardless. Unless there was some deal that popped up that was too good to resist. and idc about overclocking with a system that powerful. there wouldnt really be a need to. Theres no point in overclocking and lowering the overall lifespan of your equipment just to look at the numbers. I do game, and produce music, and do a lot of video editing. so itll be a hell of an upgrade either way.

2 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

i agree with everything you said, but i didnt tell the whole life story which would explain why i believe its ok to do this. ill have roughly 2 grand left over after buying this pc. and i also get nearly a grand every week, and by the time the unemployment runs out ill be back to work and therefore good again. trust me, if 4 grand was all i had it wouldnt be going to a computer. there definitely shall be rainy days to come. and i figured 2 grand is a good leg to stand on in another emergency.

$2000 is nothing. I don't know where you live, but if it's a place with no social health care, I would not be comfortable with less than 10x that in a rainy day fund. 

9 minutes ago, RichardCheung said:

AMD's Zen2 is cheaper and better.Unless single thread performance needed,I will never suggest to buy this generation.

yeah i debated if i should go 3900x instead to save some money but i always try to stick with intel. I just like intel better.

1 hour ago, Jstagzsr said:

yeah i debated if i should go 3900x instead to save some money but i always try to stick with intel. I just like intel better.

10900k is only 10 - 20 fps faster than 3900x in gaming, but 10900k can consume over 200 watts at stock and over 300 watts when overclock. AM4 socket will be over when Zen 3 launch. X570 motherboards and electronics are shortage and prices are gouging from 3rd party sellers.

2 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

Well if you are going to buy, might as well be the latest release 10900K. 

Sure it'll be hot, but also a compute monster you've never run before.

It's going to be fast, lots of threads to work with, high end memory NP.

But I'm going to suggest coughing up the money for a custom loop for that cpu.

my 2 pennies.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well if you are going to buy, might as well be the latest release 10900K. 

Sure it'll be hot, but also a compute monster you've never run before.

It's going to be fast, lots of threads to work with, high end memory NP.

But I'm going to suggest coughing up the money for a custom loop for that cpu.

my 2 pennies.

i was debating if i wanted to do a custom loop. i settled on a 360mm aio for now with a custom cpu and gpu loop in the future possibly.

Just now, Jstagzsr said:

i was debating if i wanted to do a custom loop. i settled on a 360mm aio for now with a custom cpu and gpu loop in the future possibly.

300w is 1,024 btu/hr.

I'm not sure 360 AIO can cut mustard.

16 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

300w is 1,024 btu/hr.

I'm not sure 360 AIO can cut mustard.

ive checked thermal capabilities of several different aio's with the 9900k, even overclocked theyre reasonable. of coarse a custom loop would be the best option, like almost always, but im already spending a shit ton of money on this and im trying to minimize anything extra. so if a 200$ aio will keep me under thermal throttle then ill be happy.

4 hours ago, RichardCheung said:

It doesn't worth.I heard of that some cores of i9-10900k is based on skylake,not all coffeelake-refresh

Coffee lake is based on Skylake. This is why people say that. You can follow this path all the way back to the Pentium Pro (P6 arch). Incremental changes aren't bad. Netburst and Bonnell were the last real new designs. Netburst was hot and had low IPC, and Bonnell was always made for low power applications (Used in Goldmont+ now.)

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

300w is 1,024 btu/hr.

> 10900K under OC synthetic load. Stock power is in line with a 9900K, so the comparison here is valid for a non-OC situation.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, svmlegacy said:

> 10900K under OC synthetic load. Stock power is in line with a 9900K, so the comparison here is valid for a non-OC situation.

I had taken in that a 360 would be the bare minimum I suppose for a stock configuration. It will really depend on ambient and case temps.

8 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

No offense mate, but even in where i live, which is basically a third world country, 2000 US dollars is nothing.

12 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

anyway, i went on newegg and priced out an amazing pc: i9 9900k, msi godlike mobo, 32gb dominator platinum ram @4ghz, asus 2080ti, 80+ platinum 1000 watt psu, several new ssd's and nvme ssd's, etc etc etc..

Lots of "premium" items that have huge upcharges for the performance you get out of it.  The biggest offenders being the godlike mobo (unnecessary, way overpriced and other z390 that have as good of VRM for less than half the price), 4000 Mhz RAM (HUGE price jump over 3200 or 3600 RAM, for a negligible if not unnoticeable benefit) and PSU (80+ plat 1000 watt running about double the price of a 80+ gold 750/850 which is certainly enough for that system).

I know its not my business, but if I had covid screw me over to the point where my fridge was empty, I would put a lot more in the bank for the next rainy day.  No one knows what will happen, but if another wave comes there is a chance people get shut down again and more stimulus may not come next time (i really doubt congress will do it again). 

I would maybe build a 3700x b450 rig and save the rest (could make a decked out rig for half of what you are spending there with performance not far off).  Or even better (what I would truly do) is just upgrade your GPU right now, and save the rest for uncertainty and the ryzen 4000 / ampere launches.  There is some awesome stuff coming down the pipe, and if nothing else ampere SHOULD make 2000 RTX series cards way more affordable.  Maybe just buy a 2070 super or 2080 super now for that CPU and that alone would be a huge and awesome upgrade, save the rest for a better time (both in terms of money and tech launches!)

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

3 hours ago, Zberg said:

Lots of "premium" items that have huge upcharges for the performance you get out of it.  The biggest offenders being the godlike mobo (unnecessary, way overpriced and other z390 that have as good of VRM for less than half the price), 4000 Mhz RAM (HUGE price jump over 3200 or 3600 RAM, for a negligible if not unnoticeable benefit) and PSU (80+ plat 1000 watt running about double the price of a 80+ gold 750/850 which is certainly enough for that system).

I know its not my business, but if I had covid screw me over to the point where my fridge was empty, I would put a lot more in the bank for the next rainy day.  No one knows what will happen, but if another wave comes there is a chance people get shut down again and more stimulus may not come next time (i really doubt congress will do it again). 

I would maybe build a 3700x b450 rig and save the rest (could make a decked out rig for half of what you are spending there with performance not far off).  Or even better (what I would truly do) is just upgrade your GPU right now, and save the rest for uncertainty and the ryzen 4000 / ampere launches.  There is some awesome stuff coming down the pipe, and if nothing else ampere SHOULD make 2000 RTX series cards way more affordable.  Maybe just buy a 2070 super or 2080 super now for that CPU and that alone would be a huge and awesome upgrade, save the rest for a better time (both in terms of money and tech launches!)

in the process of trying to thin out that 4000 dollar price tag a little i actually did almost everything you said anyway before even seeing this. Great minds think alike.

80+ gold 850 watt psu (-200$)
msi 2080ti (-300$)
dominator platinum 4x8 3200 ddr4 (-200$)
even got rid of the 300$ ryojin aio and went with a 99$ enermax liquitech ii 360

now im down to $3,264. slightly more reasonable..

And i agree with the msi godlike mobo being extremely overpriced and overpowered and actually spent several hours looking into several different boards (asrock taichi ultimate, msi ace, gigabyte aorus master, asus rog maximus 7 hero) and i very well may end up grabbing one of those instead, but i know ill have buyers remorse if i dont get at least SOMETHING in this system that wasnt a compromise.. after getting rid of all my dream parts to get what was more affordable im pretty much left with only the 9900k and the msi godlike mobo that were in my original dream list.. and even teh cpu, the original one was a 9900x., so thats even a compromise. i really really dont want to spend so much money on something im not gonna be happy with. If thats the vase ill just buy a 2080ti and slap it in my old pc. the 4790k @4.9ghz is still a plenty powerful cpu in 2020 imo.

so yeah im still kinda stuck on what decision to make.

4 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

spent several hours looking into several different boards (asrock taichi ultimate, msi ace, gigabyte aorus master, asus rog maximus 7 hero)

I like those options.  I have the aorus master, love it.  I think I would have gotten the Taichi if I didnt get the master.  Either way, both will perform stellar (considered in a very high mobo tier by most) at such a savings.

4 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

80+ gold 850 watt psu (-200$)
msi 2080ti (-300$)
dominator platinum 4x8 3200 ddr4 (-200$)
even got rid of the 300$ ryojin aio and went with a 99$ enermax liquitech ii 360

All good moves.  I think I would personally still wait on it, think about it a while before hitting that "BUY" button.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar