Nvidia CPU

Goku1814

Could Nvidia make their own CPUs for computers that can rival Intel or AMD?

They make SoCs. If they wanted to make true CPUs, they would.

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

They make SoCs. If they wanted to make true CPUs, they would.

Could they possibly be better than AMD or Intel?

Just now, Goku1814 said:

Could they possibly be better than AMD or Intel?

No one know since they don't exist.

I'm sure if they thought they could overtake either one, they would have done so.

Instead they opt for areas they know they'll profit.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

No one know since they don't exist.

I'm sure if they thought they could overtake either one, they would have done so.

Instead they opt for areas they know they'll profit.

are their GPUs the best tho?

3 minutes ago, Goku1814 said:

They currently have the best GPU in terms of performance.

they already making cpus, google tegra

they just not design it from the ground up, they buy blueprints and build a product out of it, and have tsmc to manufacture the chips for them.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

6 hours ago, comander said:

With x86 compatibility - it'd be very hard legally.

This is something I don't get why are AMD and Intel the only ones allowed to make x86? Shouldn;t the patent have expired already allowing any company the right to make x86 CPUs? Why is there a legal block and will it ever expire eventually like a normal patent.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

28 minutes ago, comander said:

from the early 2000s which isn't expired. 

So the patent or licence will never expire and only Intel and AMD will ever have the rights to x86???

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

AMD makes x86 cpu because back in the days intel supply cpus for ibm for their pc line, and ibm needed a second supplier, so intel contacted amd.

so companies start making x86 chips, including amd, cyrix, nec, national semiconductor etc. most of them are clones of intel chips, some later develop their chip, aka clean house design.

fast forward to 2000s, amd designed the highly sucessful x86-64 instruction set, which is compatible with 32 bit x86, therefore quickly adopted by inductry. while intel had their own 64 bit chip, the itanium (RIP), it's not compatible with x86. so intel did a cross patent deal with amd, that license x86-64 from them (like companies buy design from ARM), in change for extend x86 license to amd.

via bought centuar and cyrix (which bought from nat semi) so they have their own flavour of x86 design, and also has some sort of cross patenting thing with intel. while in the 90s, transmeta was the fourth manufacture of x86 chips, altho it's only compatible, not native, and it's limited on really low powered applications.

so basically, there are only 3 providers of x86 chips right now, intel, amd and via (zhaoxin). i can give some unbased but educated guesses about the chinese x86 situation if you interested.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 5/19/2020 at 1:22 AM, Goku1814 said:

Could Nvidia make their own CPUs for computers that can rival Intel or AMD?

Maybe. But the desktop market isn't very attractive in the long, long term. Everything is slowly going mobile on the consumer-level. And I expect the desktop market to rely heavily on professionals and enthusiasts (e.g. PC gamers). 

It would be smart for Nvidia to branch out of the desktop market into other fields. And that's what they're quietly doing already with self-driving cars. 

On 5/19/2020 at 12:56 AM, comander said:

1. With x86 compatibility - it'd be very hard legally. Emulation might be viable but that's its own can of worms. 
2. Using ARM/RISCV/POWER - maybe but WHY? It'd be a huge risk and I don't see it paying off. Many-core CPUs are becoming increasingly memory limited. Over time they'll become more and more commodity-like.

GPU cores are extremely powerful, so if you can repurposed them as CPU cores, you will have double the speed of a good CPU out there, providing you can do it efficiently

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Maybe. But the desktop market isn't very attractive in the long, long term. Everything is slowly going mobile on the consumer-level. And I expect the desktop market to rely heavily on professionals and enthusiasts (e.g. PC gamers). 

Even PC gamers are starting to want smaller, more compact and portable devices. Look at how many Mini ITX build they are. Soon we will probably be using mobile CPU's in compact desktops

On 5/19/2020 at 2:30 AM, Goku1814 said:

NO. They have very good performnace but they dont have much good bang for the buck gpus (meaning that in certain budget their gpu makes no sense)

good bang fro the buck gpus: rx 570 4gb/ rx 580/ 1660 super/ rx 5600XT/ rx 5700/ rx 5700XT/ rtx 2080 super

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

54 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

GPU cores are extremely powerful, so if you can repurposed them as CPU cores, you will have double the speed of a good CPU out there, providing you can do it efficiently

CPU's and gpu's are fundamentally different... The gpu's can't do the same things as a cpu...

42 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

A GPU core is not the same thing as a CPU core by a long shot. A GPU's cores are tiny and only useful for a handful of instructions. A GPU has different cores optimized for different tasks and uses them as needed (think CUDA, RTX, Stream, …)

The reason a GPU is so fast at what it does is that it has been purpose built for the very thing it is used for: Processing large sets of data with the same limited number of instructions over and over again. The speed comes from the fact that you have thousands of cores that can process data in parallel. Individual cores aren't very fast at all.

A CPU on the other hand can run far more complex instructions and is well suited for branching code. Emulating a CPU with a GPU is pretty much impossible, because the cores can't do what a CPU can. A CPU on the other hand can absolutely emulate a GPU. The reason it is slower is because it's cores are far larger, more power hungry and it doesn't have thousands of them to process data in parallel.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 hours ago, comander said:

1. GPU cores are extremely weak. There's just 1000x more of them. 

2. For some tasks

If you can make an OS that utilises lots of cores, then it's good. One core for each process

Cyrix tried.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 5/21/2020 at 6:23 AM, atxcyclist said:

Cyrix tried.

And succeeded! Their 6x86 was competitive and cheaper. They were undeservedly killed off because they got unlucky with some of Carmack's and Abrash's magic in quake. (carefully hand-crafting code to run floating point and integer instructions in parallel by taking advantage of a quirck in the pentium).

2 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

And succeeded! They were undeservedly killed off because they got unlucky with some of's Carmack's and Abrash's magic in quake. (carefully hand-crafting code to run floating point and integer instructions in parallel by taking advantage of a quirck in the pentium).

I had a Cyrix 233mhz and it was poop in many ways, not just Quake. 🙁

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

30 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I had a Cyrix 233mhz and it was poop in many ways, not just Quake. 🙁

They were highly competitive, just often not given a fair chance. A computer is much more then just a CPU, especially in those days where the choice of motherboard still made a huge difference. Many a Cyrix CPU, being the cheaper choice, found itself on a motherboard with a crappy chipset and no cache (the COAST module was the first to go when cutting corners). Given equal platforms they gave Intel a run for their money. Most reviews are gone so it's hard to find good evidence. Managed to find this for what it's worth: https://www.fermimn.edu.it/inform/materiali/evarchi/cyrix.dir/perfchrt.htm

Then came Quake, which exploited the Pentium quirk mentioned above to run floating point and integer in parallel, making the Pentium fly in quake and giving the Cyrix a reputation of "poor floating point performance". Which was not true at all, their floating point was fine, it just could not run in parallel with integer instructions.