Lian Li PC-011 Air

OPterodactyl

Hey, so I'm pretty new to pc building but I need to ditch my laptop and put together a desktop for myself.  I am hoping to game for hours at a time at 120+ frames at 1440p, because of that, I'm concerned about keeping my components cooled.  I have been looking around for the best cpu coolers and airflow cases and I'm struggling to find something that appeals to me and also gets great reviews.  Most recently, I found the Lian Li PC-011 Air.  It looks like it should have the best airflow on the market, but people aren't huge fans of it.  From what I can tell, there are two big problems.  First, it can't fit tall cpu air coolers, and second, the air filters actually impede a lot of airflow in the case.  Now, I think that this case could still be a viable option for me so I'm hoping some of you could tell me if I'm right or dead wrong.  First is I plan on using an AIO cooler, so I don't have to worry about tower clearance.  Second, I'm going to fill up every possible fan supported area with decent static pressure/ airflow fans, the be quiet silent wings 3.  These fans are rated to 73.33 CFM and 3.37 mm H2O.  My thought is that having fans that have a decent static pressure rating should combat the problem with the air filters.  What do you think, could I still get good airflow in this case?  

ps. 

Sorry for the essay, I just wanted to cover as much as I could in the initial post.

Either remove the filter from the 011 Air, or use the 011 Dynamic. I would personally do the latter.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

You're overthinking this man.

Sure some cases like the 510 have inherently bad airflow, but they all will work, and no one case will destroy your computers functionality. You don't need certain static pressure fans to overcome filters, etc. Realistically you could just buy a case, keep it with the 2 cheap fans it comes with, and be fine.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

3 minutes ago, SenKa said:

Either remove the filter from the 011 Air, or use the 011 Dynamic. I would personally do the latter.

Does the Dynamic have none/different filters than the Air?  If i decide to take the filters out, would that just mean more dust maintenance for me or could there be other issues?

2 minutes ago, Statik said:

You don't need certain static pressure fans to overcome filters, etc. 

Wouldn't a static pressure fan do a better job of pulling air through a filter?

6 minutes ago, OPterodactyl said:

Does the Dynamic have none/different filters than the Air?  If i decide to take the filters out, would that just mean more dust maintenance for me or could there be other issues?

The main issue with the filter in the O11 was the included front filter was terrible quality compared to the others that are standard on the O11D. The top, bottom and side filters on both the O11D and O11 Air are the same. 

The O11 Air for both of the reasons you listed isnt a top pick for airflow focus builds because if that, and users using an AIO opt for the O11D since they dont need the front fans and it looks cleaner an unique too. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The main issue with the filter in the O11 was the included front filter was terrible quality compared to the others that are standard on the O11D. The top, bottom and side filters on both the O11D and O11 Air are the same. 

The O11 Air for both of the reasons you listed isnt a top pick for airflow focus builds because if that, and users using an AIO opt for the O11D since they dont need the front fans and it looks cleaner an unique too. 

Interesting, Why would they skimp on the front filter if that is the whole selling point versus the Dynamic?  So If I went with the dynamic, side and bottom intake, back exhaust, top rad exhaust.  How might my temps differ from the same setup on the air, plus the front intake?

8 minutes ago, OPterodactyl said:

Interesting, Why would they skimp on the front filter if that is the whole selling point versus the Dynamic?  So If I went with the dynamic, side and bottom intake, back exhaust, top rad exhaust.  How might my temps differ from the same setup on the air, plus the front intake?

Vs

1 lian li o11 air cpu only

3 lian li o11 air gpu only

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, OPterodactyl said:

Wouldn't a static pressure fan do a better job of pulling air through a filter?

Yes, but getting high quality crazy static pressure fans, and getting all deep into it, it's going to make minimal change. If you wanna do it do it, but just getting whatever case you like and a couple fans isn't going to cause your PC to go into nuclear meltdown

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Just now, Statik said:

Yes, but getting high quality crazy static pressure fans, and getting all deep into it, it's going to make minimal change. If you wanna do it do it, but just getting whatever case you like and a couple fans isn't going to cause your PC to go into nuclear meltdown

Fair enough, thanks for the reply