Guess we don't need video cables anymore - USB4 arriving with Displayport 2.0

williamcll
4 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Has anyone even figured out how to automate USB-C production yet or are the ends still assembled by hand?

Not sure. Hopefully. Even if they aren't, the quality of the cables has to be tested pretty thoroughly to meet a DP spec properly. Bad DP cables are a big issue for 1440p/144hz monitors right now.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:59 PM, bcredeur97 said:

They need to make monitors that are able to be powered from the device that they are plugged into. Like your average monitor in a workplace. would be so much less cables at work, where it can be kinda hard to manage everything beautifully in some situations (at least it is where I work)

or you know not needing a power strip if you have 2 monitors and a mini desktop. Instead of 3 power cords, just 1.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:48 PM, williamcll said:

Have you tried a portable monitor before?

I have a portable monitor that does exactly this. It's the best when I'm on the go and I can have one cable running from my laptop to the screen!

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

So will this allow you to daisy chain monitors in a row if you have multiple monitors, that would be a nice neat function to have to reduce on cable clutter.

USB-C already supports this. The problem is that not many monitors supports it.

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

So will this allow you to daisy chain monitors in a row if you have multiple monitors, that would be a nice neat function to have to reduce on cable clutter.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

USB-C already supports this. The problem is that not many monitors supports it.

DisplayPort already supported daisy chaining btw, it's also why this supports it.

17 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Perfectly good opportunity missed to roast Apple in that picture... Esp considering everyone but them is trying to move to a universal cable lol...

Not with computers!  Apple is believed to have played a role in developing USB-C, and it definitely played a role in Thunderbolt.  Now, phones on the other hand...

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

DisplayPort already supported daisy chaining btw, it's also why this supports it.

I don't know why I didn't know this, thank you.

11 hours ago, Commodus said:

Not with computers!  Apple is believed to have played a role in developing USB-C, and it definitely played a role in Thunderbolt.  Now, phones on the other hand...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/30/20747526/apple-q3-2019-earnings-iphone-services-ipad-mac-sales-china

That's like saying the Mafia running a soup kitchen for the homeless is a good thing. Don't get me wrong it would be great, but one can't overlook their primary business...

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Escanor said:

Next one is probably a round port so it can fit as long you put it in straight.

Idc about that. 

I just want them to use the connector all my mice & flash drives use. I hate having a million plugs & cables.