Guess we don't need video cables anymore - USB4 arriving with Displayport 2.0

williamcll

VESA-DP-Alt-Mode-Photo-1.jpg

Other than having a bandwidth equal to thunderbolt 3 of 40Gbps, USB4 will also be able to pass Displayport 2.0 signals by turning both inbound and outbound data cables into outbound video signals. It is expected to arrive in 2021 and can support both HDR8K60FPS as well as (compressed) 16k60FPS

As the tech industry gears up for the launch of the new USB4 standard, a few more parts first need to fall into place. Along with the core specification itself, there is the matter of alternate modes, which add further functionality to USB Type-C host ports by allowing the data pins to be used to carry other types of signals. Keeping pace with the updates to USB4, some of the alt modes are being updated as well, and this process is starting with the granddaddy of them all: DisplayPort Alt Mode.

The very first USB-C alt mode, DisplayPort Alt Mode was introduced in 2014. By remapping the USB-C high speed data pins from USB data to DisplayPort data, it became possible to use a USB-C port as a DisplayPort video output, and in some cases even mix the two to get both USB 3.x signaling and DisplayPort signaling over the same cable. As a result of DisplayPort Alt Mode’s release, the number of devices with video output has exploded, and in laptops especially, this has become the preferred mode for driving video outputs when a laptop doesn’t include a dedicated HDMI port.

Now, as USB4 prepares to enter service, DisplayPort Alt Mode is being updated as well. One of the many big changes in the USB4 spec is that DisplayPort is a first-class citizen, with USB4 able to encapsulate DisplayPort video data like Thunderbolt 3 already does. So in order to keep pace with USB4 – where things are a bit more rigorous and well-defined this time around – VESA has needed to tighten the Alt Mode standard to match, as well as to update the specification to incorporate DisplayPort 2.0 and its UHBR signaling standards. The end product, fittingly enough, will be called DisplayPort Alt Mode 2.0.

image.png.65afed5306c2e54baa52d7c12b017e66.png

Overall, the introduction of DisplayPort Alt Mode 2.0 means that there will be two different ways to pipe DisplayPort video over a USB4 cable, giving system builders and users an unusual degree of flexibility in designing devices and choosing how to wire them up. As previously discussed, USB4 can already carry encapsulated DisplayPort data within a USB4 signal. However with the introduction of DP Alt Mode 2.0, it also becomes possible to skip the middle man, so to speak, by reconfiguring a USB-C port to pass raw DisplayPort video.

But why even have multiple modes to begin with, you might ask? The matter comes down to performance as well as hardware costs. From a bandwidth standpoint, USB4 maxes out at 40Gbps of bandwidth in any one direction a bidirectional connection. So the most bandwidth available for DisplayPort video, assuming it saturates the connection, is only half of what DisplayPort 2.0 is capable of. A raw DisplayPort connection via Alt Mode 2.0, on the other hand, doubles that maximum bandwidth to 80Gbps since all lanes can be used to send data to a display. So if nothing else, Alt Mode is needed to drive ultra-high resolution connections over USB-C, such as 8K @ 60Hz with HDR.

image.png.0316ddd762eab00852a4c25e6f753ca1.png

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15752/displayport-alt-mode-20-spec-released

https://vesa.org/featured-articles/vesa-releases-updated-displayport-alt-mode-spec-to-bring-displayport-2-0-performance-to-usb4-and-new-usb-type-c-devices/

Thoughts: Maybe in a few years all the ports on a graphics card would be replaced with USBs instead of just one VR-link port. But first 16k monitors have to be cheap and usable before any of these happen. I also wonder will phones support this as well?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm just glad they didnt name it USB 3.1 Gen 3a

Nah we're already on USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 so it would have been USB 3.2 Gen DisplayPort 2.0x2x2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I swear if they change the connector again though....

Are they going to stick with this connector till the end of time finally?

9 minutes ago, fpo said:

I swear if they change the connector again though....

Are they going to stick with this connector till the end of time finally?

No. But hopefully it will live up to a decade before reaching it's full capabilities.

They need to make monitors that are able to be powered from the device that they are plugged into. Like your average monitor in a workplace. would be so much less cables at work, where it can be kinda hard to manage everything beautifully in some situations (at least it is where I work)

or you know not needing a power strip if you have 2 monitors and a mini desktop. Instead of 3 power cords, just 1.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

They need to make monitors that are able to be powered from the device that they are plugged into. Like your average monitor in a workplace. would be so much less cables at work, where it can be kinda hard to manage everything beautifully in some situations (at least it is where I work)

USB C does this but it is usually set up so a monitor will power a laptop.

nothing says you can't make a GPU have powered USB-C out but dual would mean an extra 8 pin PCIE for power even then each could only send 75W.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

or you know not needing a power strip if you have 2 monitors and a mini desktop. Instead of 3 power cords, just 1.

Have you tried a portable monitor before?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Haters will say why not just use Thunderbolt 3 if it’s the same thing.

Honestly, at this point Thunderbolt, USB & Display Port should all unify into a single connector and become Super Serial Bus or some crap. TB & USB are essentially the same thing anyway at this point.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Its funny. I remember Apple did something like this 20 years ago. the ADC (Apple Display Connector) It was basically a modified DVI cable that carried Analog and Digital video, USB, and Power to a monitor. I have an ATi Rage 128 pro card with that port.

I like the concept, but the monitor still needs to be able to be plugged into the wall in case the person is using a laptop.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Haters will say why not just use Thunderbolt 3 if it’s the same thing.

Because it isn't the same thing.

Thunderbolt uses different signaling and encoding from USB 4.0, despite what a lot of articles says. 

Thunderbolt 3 will also be less flexible than USB 4.0. For example Thunderbolt only supports displayport as the video signal. I am pretty sure Thunderbolt can only carry displayport, data (over the Thunderbolt protocol) and power. Nothing else.

USB 4.0 will be able to carry MHL, HDMI, DisplayPort,  VirtualLink, analog audio and a bunch of other protocols. 

USB 4.0 is objectively a better standard than Thunderbolt 3. Not only because of wider adoption (since it's USB) but also because of technical differences. 

This also means that USB 4.0 devices might not support Thunderbolt 3 devices, and vice versa. It depends on how it was/is implemented as well as if the manufacturer can (and will) release software updates to support the different encoding and signaling in the USB 4.0 and/or Thunderbolt controller. 

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This also means that USB 4.0 devices might not support Thunderbolt 3 devices, and vice versa. It depends on how it was/is implemented as well as if the manufacturer can (and will) release software updates to support the different encoding and signaling in the USB 4.0 and/or Thunderbolt controller. 

Wasn't this basically the original excuse MS used for not having USB-C ports earlier on?  I remember something about claiming there was not enough compatibility between many of the devices out there due lack of standardization.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So when will TV OEMs add USB 4? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Wasn't this basically the original excuse MS used for not having USB-C ports earlier on?  I remember something about claiming there was not enough compatibility between many of the devices out there due lack of standardization.

I don't know what Microsoft said so I can't comment on that. But USB-C is kind of a monster of s standard which includes a lot of optional stuff. Maybe that's what Microsoft were talking about? I don't think it's much of an issue though.

The problem I am referring to is specifically an issue (or opportunity I guess) unique to Thunderbolt 3 <-> USB 4.0. Since they are very similar, but not exactly the same, it will be possible for some devices to be compatible with one another. So your new and shiny USB 4 equipped laptop might be able to plug into a Thunderbolt 3 external storage device and work, but it might not. Your Thunderbolt 3 external device might be able to be updated to support a device that uses USB 4.0. But it might not.

Thunderbolt 3 devices might be able to be updated to support the USB 4.0 protocol.

USB 4.0 devices will (optionally) be able to be designed and coded to work with Thunderbolt 3 devices.

As long as two devices will be able to agree on one protocol (Thunderbolt 3 or USB 4.0) it will work. The problem might be that some devices can only do Thunderbolt 3 and some might only be able to do USB 4.0, and those devices won't work with each other.

It would be good if there was some kind of modular cable for everything. PC PSUs, display, network, power delivery. That way you don't have t look for one specific cable. Imagine using a USB-C cable instead of a 24 pin on your motherboard

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

12 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

So when will TV OEMs add USB 4? 

Probably never, at least en masse. TVs will stick with HDMI until the day the port dies because of wide compatibility.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:33 AM, williamcll said:

Thoughts: Maybe in a few years all the ports on a graphics card would be replaced with USBs instead of just one VR-link port. But first 16k monitors have to be cheap and usable before any of these happen. I also wonder will phones support this as well?

That's the idea. Apple already does it, but RTX Quadro's already come with USB-C on them

In an ideal situation we will phase out all ports on the laptop, PC, Smartphone/tablet and SmartTV with USB-C. However there's still the big problem of interoperability and power requirements. The port may stay the same, but there was clearly one oversight with it.

You can't power a device over 120 watts with it. 

Ideally this will result in a re-think of PSU's. Instead of desktops and laptops having a variety of chargers, they will instead ship USB-C power bricks, and the wattage capable is determined by how many USB-C ports it has. So a desktop that requires 800 watts would have 8 ports on it if the PSU is external, silly, but it would solve problems where a battery backup is required. Flip it around though, where you buy the desktop that has 12 USB-C ports on it and another 4 USB-C ports on the dedicated GPU, you can instead use the PSU to power the desktop and monitor by making the PSU the "USB Hub (SuperDock)" so to speak. Desktops don't appear to be aiming in that direction however.

But it would solve damn near every problem with laptop connectivity. If the laptop is powered by a PSU that also powers the monitor, then it acts as a dock, and you can plug in your ethernet to the monitor or power supply, leaving the PCIe lanes free, and detach the laptop by disconnecting the USB-C cables rather than having to tow the power supply around.

USB-C ports on a monitor can also be powered by said central power superdock. The problem currently with USB-C -only monitors is that they require bizarre cables to add power. This solves that problem and enables them to be used with devices like tablets and smartphones which wouldn't be able to power a monitor under that configuration.

Which only leaves hardware security. At present Dell systems can be configured to permit TB docks or deny. There is no such switch for USB.

So USB 4 is basically thunderbolt 3, but thunderbolt 3 cannot be USB 4 or are they exactly the same thing. I hope they label those ports clearly by having new symbols next to it and for motherboard makers to color them like what they are doing right now, so it's easier to know which is which.

USB 3.1 Gen 1 in Blue
USB 3.1 Gen 2 in Teal
Thunderbolt 3 USB C in PINK
USB 4 USB C IN Purple

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

21 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I can totally imagine that....

nilxsj2d28v11.jpg.ae766905615159b47138ed3039a90f36.jpg

Perfectly good opportunity missed to roast Apple in that picture... Esp considering everyone but them is trying to move to a universal cable lol...

On 5/1/2020 at 12:47 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

Cables that meet Spec are going to be expensive for a long, long time.

Has anyone even figured out how to automate USB-C production yet or are the ends still assembled by hand?

We already have a lot of this in in the current gen. Only really see it in docking stations, though. 

HP does sell the EliteDisplay with an integrated dock. The only problem is that all these USB docks are super fiddly and bringing their level of reliability to a monitor isn't as desirable as their marketing people would have you think. 

The throughput increase is welcome. A lot of docks have limits on resolution and quantity of monitors that they will support. As someone in the corporate world, people who want more than two monitors are kind of a pain to support right now. It's gotten a little better with the WD-19 but the wd-15 just didn't and the TB-16 has reliability similar to first run Xbox 360s. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

So will this allow you to daisy chain monitors in a row if you have multiple monitors, that would be a nice neat function to have to reduce on cable clutter.