Looking for a good work laptop (IT)

I recently got a new job and will be dealing with alot of on-site and off-site IT work, since i need to be on the run alot and i dont own a laptop right now ive gotten the funds from the company to acquire a brand new workplace laptop that will become an additional signing bonus, (around 1500$-2k$)

What Laptops would you guys recommend? preferrably something light with a ethernet port if possible :) The possiblity of having a docking station is also a big plus :P 

Thanks in advance :D 

Main PC:
CPU: Intel i9 - 13900k, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm

GPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT 16GB,

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite,
Ram: 
G.Skill Trident Z neo C16 3600Mhz 32GB,

PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum.

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL

Gear
Mouse: Logitech G Pro

Keyboard: Iqunix F97 Hitchhiker

Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2HR

Speakers: Yamaha HS7

Mic: 512 Audio skylight

Screens: LG 27GL850 & Samsung 34" Odyssey G5 Samsung

Personally i would go for an 2 in 1 so you can use it on the go with the touchscreen.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I'd say the best option out there right now with ethernet and a docking station is probably the Lenovo Thinkpad T490/T490s. It is also worth mentioning that any laptop with a thunderbolt port basically has a docking station these days, although most don't have ethernet built in.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

24 minutes ago, ItsTworty said:

I recently got a new job and will be dealing with alot of on-site and off-site IT work, since i need to be on the run alot and i dont own a laptop right now ive gotten the funds from the company to acquire a brand new workplace laptop that will become an additional signing bonus, (around 1500$-2k$)

What Laptops would you guys recommend? preferrably something light with a ethernet port if possible :) The possiblity of having a docking station is also a big plus :P 

Thanks in advance :D 

Well, since you're looking for a dock that means you already know Business class is the way to go.

The best options would be a ThinkPad T495 or EliteBook 840/845/745 G6 or G7

If those are too large, a ThinkPad X1 Carbon or EliteBook 830 G5/G6 or a ZBook U. A ThinkPad P53s is also an option

All of these come with heavy duty water/dust/dirt/shock resistance and are VASTLY better quality than consumer junk like XPS or Spectre models

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

XPS13 all day.

No. He Need's a work laptop, not an overheating laptop with latency issues and shoddy electrical deaign

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

No. He Need's a work laptop, not an overheating laptop with latency issues and shoddy electrical deaign

What? I have used an XPS13 as my work laptop for the last three years with literally zero issues. Having such a light machine with such a good battery has been really nice when I've had to make site visits.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

People tend to forget why business class exists - reliability. That's why Latitude/EliteBook/ThinkPad stands out. It won't give you issues, random crashes, headaches and what not.

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

What? I have used an XPS13 as my work laptop for the last three years with literally zero issues. Having such a light machine with such a good battery has been really nice when I've had to make site visits.

We've returned multiple XPS models due to severe heat and DPC latency issues. I cannot recommend such a bug-ridden machine in good faith. It's not suited to on-site work and it's not good for anything past browsing Facebook. If it were, there wouldn't be a need for business grade Latitudes which Dell also makes and sells

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

People tend to forget why business class exists - reliability. That's why Latitude/EliteBook/ThinkPad stands out. It won't give you issues, random crashes, headaches and what not.

We've returned multiple XPS models due to severe heat and DPC latency issues. I cannot recommend such a bug-ridden machine in food faith. It's not suited to on-site work and it's not good for anything past browsing Facebook. If it were, there wouldn't be a need for business grade Latitudes which Dell also makes and sells

I don't know man, I can only speak from my own experience, I've yet to have any issues or complaints with my XPS13 doing programming for building automation systems.

I don't know man, I can only speak from my own experience, I've yet to have any issues or complaints with my XPS13 doing programming for building automation systems.

We have to remember a study of 1 case is nothing compared to multiple cases.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Well you got a unicorn. Out of twenty that I've seen, only one is issue free. The others are reporting trackpad problems, heat problems, lots of fan noise at idle, screen bleed (talking wicked bleed) and the afdormwntioned DPC latency issues

Alright, nevermind OP, forget I said anything

Thanks for all the replies guys much appriciated!!

I've spoken with the other guys and they are also recommending the Lenovo X1 carbon series. And ive now kinda set my eyes upon the X1 G7 with the i5-8265U processor since the local prices are quite high here as for now :| Model number: 20QD00L3MX

Heard romours about them having pretty good battery life aswell so im looking forward to trying one later next week :D 

Main PC:
CPU: Intel i9 - 13900k, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm

GPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT 16GB,

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite,
Ram: 
G.Skill Trident Z neo C16 3600Mhz 32GB,

PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum.

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL

Gear
Mouse: Logitech G Pro

Keyboard: Iqunix F97 Hitchhiker

Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2HR

Speakers: Yamaha HS7

Mic: 512 Audio skylight

Screens: LG 27GL850 & Samsung 34" Odyssey G5 Samsung

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Well, since you're looking for a dock that means you already know Business class is the way to go.

The best options would be a ThinkPad T495 or EliteBook 840/845/745 G6 or G7

If those are too large, a ThinkPad X1 Carbon or EliteBook 830 G5/G6 or a ZBook U. A ThinkPad P53s is also an option

All of these come with heavy duty water/dust/dirt/shock resistance and are VASTLY better quality than consumer junk like XPS or Spectre models

What do you mean? My spectre runs quiet, and is better than any laptop I've used, it is literally higher quality than any laptop I've used.

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

25 minutes ago, ItzCopiouz said:

What do you mean? My spectre runs quiet, and is better than any laptop I've used, it is literally higher quality than any laptop I've used.

It's better than the very low end junk like your typical Pavilion or Inspiron, sure. But it cannot hold a candle to an EliteBook or ThinkPad ;)

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

It's better than the very low end junk like your typical Pavilion or Inspiron, sure. But it cannot hold a candle to an EliteBook or ThinkPad ;)

It's working quite well for me.

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

1 minute ago, ItzCopiouz said:

It's working quite well for me.

That doesn't mean it's better than true Business class machines :) - it's decidedly average in the grand scheme of things.

Just now, 5x5 said:

That doesn't mean it's better than true Business class machines :) - it's decidedly average in the grand scheme of things.

Ok. I don't really have any complaints about my current laptop. Works just fine for me.

Just now, ItzCopiouz said:

Ok. I don't really have any complaints about my current laptop. Works just fine for me.

Again, that's okay - but it's not something that can be compared to true high end devices which can withstand much harsher conditions, are designed in a far more sophisticated way (i.e. are designed to last longer) and which come with a higher grade of internal components.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Again, that's okay - but it's not something that can be compared to true high end devices which can withstand much harsher conditions, are designed in a far more sophisticated way (i.e. are designed to last longer) and which come with a higher grade of internal components.

Yeah, this laptop was not made to be a tank, but that is fine for me, since I don't swing it around everywhere.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It has features that I value, like long battery life, great screen, and lightweight. But other laptops are made for other purposes, like the elitebook.

Yeah, this laptop was not made to be a tank, but that is fine for me, since I don't swing it around everywhere.

Yes, but since the OP is using it for work, an extra layer of reliability is always good considering downtime means lost time and money :)

Just now, 5x5 said:

Yes, but since the OP is using it for work, an extra layer of reliability is always good considering downtime means lost time and money :)

That is 100% true.

It has features that I value, like long battery life, great screen, and lightweight. But other laptops are made for other purposes, like the elitebook.

Again, this is YOUR choice - but the OP has different needs than you. Be considerate of that. You've spent several posts defending a purchase that nobody cares about.