Considering A Refurbished PSU... Should I?

jkidd

Hey, everyone -

Because I'm trying to keep my current build to under $1,000, I'm looking for all kinds of deals and savings that I can find. Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/joshuamkidd/saved/rcqW3C

I came across a refurbished 750 watt power supply by DELL that is listed for only $20.99: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-refurbished-750-watt-power-factor-correction-power-supply/apd/mg309/computer-chassis-components

Some tech. friends thought that as long as it had matching cables, connectors, and components, it should work with my build.

What do you think? Buy or pass?

- jkidd

You don't wanna make the mistake of buying a cheap unreliable PSU, so pass.

Get a brand new EVGA or Corsair 80+ bronze rated PSU and you'll be good to go. 

1 minute ago, jkidd said:

Hey, everyone -

Because I'm trying to keep my current build to under $1,000, I'm looking for all kinds of deals and savings that I can find. Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/joshuamkidd/saved/rcqW3C

I came across a refurbished 750 watt power supply by DELL that is listed for only $20.99: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-refurbished-750-watt-power-factor-correction-power-supply/apd/mg309/computer-chassis-components

Some tech. friends thought that as long as it had matching cables, connectors, and components, it should work with my build.

- jkidd

Hi. I saw you have listed dvd writer, if you don't need much I think you can delete and invest on new PSU. There can be any repair things inside of the used psu ( I don't know though just wondering) also never experienced old psu. 

4 minutes ago, jkidd said:

Hey, everyone -

- jkidd

That's a BTX power supply. It won't fit in an ATX case. It's thicker than the PSU mount.

Also, it's at least 12-13 years old.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

agreed

and some other things

Why do you need 64 gb ram?

You can get a window 10 key for way cheaper

Office 360 might be a better choice

In a recent Gamers Nexus video I got the impression people RMA PSUs for reasons that aren't actually related to the PSU's performance or actual failings.  Though if you get an actual bad one it probably won't be fun.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's a BTX power supply. It won't fit in an ATX case. It's thicker than the PSU mount.

Also, it's at least 12-13 years old.

Yeah, I decided to go look at it too and that thing isn't going to work for you.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

47 minutes ago, jkidd said:

Hey, everyone -

- jkidd

Seven-hundred-and-fifty watts is overkill for this system, that is not even a decent PSU even if it wasn't refurbished/used, and it won't fit in an ATX case since it is a BTX power supply.

Get an at least somewhat decent power supply (even these are on the lower end although should be a ton better than that Dell one even if you managed to make it work with your case):

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XCjG3C/evga-power-supply-100w10500kr

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6rc48d/corsair-vs-450w-80-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020170-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wbhj4D/thermaltake-smart-500w-80-certified-atx-power-supply-ps-spd-0500npcwus-w

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xDMwrH/evga-br-450w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-br-0450-k1

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

I was advised by a techie friend/professional that I needed at least 750 watts to ensure that I had enough power, especially when all of the computer parts are on and running.

- jkidd

37 minutes ago, jkidd said:

I was advised by a techie friend/professional that I needed at least 750 watts to ensure that I had enough power, especially when all of the computer parts are on and running.

- jkidd

No, you don't need a 750W PSU to power a 300W PC. Get a decent 450-550W PSU instead

:)

44 minutes ago, jkidd said:

- jkidd

Very few computers need a 750w power supply.

4 hours ago, jkidd said:

That is a Dell replacement power supply - meant for a Dell.  It will be relatively noisy.  The cable may not reach or be sufficient.  It has no certification or warranty.  In short - it sucks.  It looks like you're not poverty stricken.  Up your budget a little.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-W1-0500-KR

There $35 after rebate.  3-year warranty.

18 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

You need a motherboard.

If you're going to pay retail get the full Windows and not the EOM version.

Buy a Windows key on eBay.  Spend less than $20.  

1 hour ago, nick name said:

Buy a Windows key on eBay.  Spend less than $20.  

I’m not going to do that.  I’m not that scuzzy.  Plus the single retail Windows I bought in 2009 has lasted me through 10 builds.  

3 hours ago, jkidd said:

- jkidd

Well whoever this techie guy is, he's not that familiar with PCs...

I was able to run a power hungry FX-8350 @ 4.8/4.9 GHz with two overclocked video cards, and that only peaked at around 670W.

This was a couple years ago.

Your Ryzen system with a single RTX 2070 Super is going to be under 400W.

Adding a second RTX 2070 Super, and you would still be under 750W.

A decent quality 500W ~ 550W will be plenty already.

If you *WANT*, you could get a 600W ~ 650W.

(e.g. in some situations, the 650W version might be on sale & cheaper than the 550W variant)

On another note:

1. May I ask what is the purpose of 64GB of RAM, instead of 16GB or 32GB?
  2. I would recommend the Fractal Design Meshify S2, over the Focus G...if you want to stick with a Fractal Design case
  3. As for the SSD, I'd pay an extra $10 ~ $15 for an ADATA SU750 512GB, or Crucial MX500 500GB...over the WD Green drive

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 hours ago, Hilltrot said:

That is a Dell replacement power supply - meant for a Dell.  It will be relatively noisy.  The cable may not reach or be sufficient.  It has no certification or warranty.  In short - it sucks.  It looks like you're not poverty stricken.  Up your budget a little.

There's nothing proprietary about it at all. It's just a form factor no one's Dell stopped using in 2007. I've powered plenty of ATX PCs with BTX PSUs before when the case allowed for it or a tester was needed, and that includes PSUs from Dell. They're all made by the same few companies anyway, then given a Dell label. That one's probably made by Delta.

At the heart of it, a PSU is a PSU is a PSU. Dell, HP, whoever might do funky things with the pinout to try and keep you from (gasp!) replacing their PSU and upgrading the system, but once a $5 adapter is in place, a PSU is a PSU is a PSU.

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

There's nothing proprietary about it at all. It's just a form factor no one's Dell stopped using in 2007. I've powered plenty of ATX PCs with BTX PSUs before when the case allowed for it or a tester was needed, and that includes PSUs from Dell. They're all made by the same few companies anyway, then given a Dell label. That one's probably made by Delta.

At the heart of it, a PSU is a PSU is a PSU. Dell, HP, whoever might do funky things with the pinout to try and keep you from (gasp!) replacing their PSU and upgrading the system, but once a $5 adapter is in place, a PSU is a PSU is a PSU.

Are you recommending he purchase this PSU - Yes or no?

2 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Are you recommending he purchase this PSU - Yes or no?

Oh hell no. I said that way earlier in the thread. Nor would I recommend anyone spend $35 on that ancient EVGA white unit in 2020. This was responding to you saying it was made for a Dell. Dell offering a surplus PSU for sale doesn't mean it only works with Dell PCs.

7 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Office 360 might be a better choice

Or just buy a cheap windows 10 pro key on ebay

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 hours ago, jkidd said:

- jkidd

A system running an i7 or Ryzen equivalent and single high end card uses around 400w MAX. 

You only grab a 750w unit for a single card set up if you got a good deal on it, not because it was needed.

10 hours ago, jkidd said:

Hey, everyone -

- jkidd

Don't
DELL is OEM and does not have +80 & Garanties if your local power goes out and fries your components with it

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

12 hours ago, Hilltrot said:

I’m not going to do that.  I’m not that scuzzy.  Plus the single retail Windows I bought in 2009 has lasted me through 10 builds.  

There's nothing wrong with buying someone's extra OEM keys.  But if you have a key then no need to buy another. 

I would say check the local used market on Craigslist or whatever, but that's a tricky proposition during a pandemic...

That said, you can find better deals than that power supply. Find one from a reputable, non-oem, company like EVGA, ThermalTake, Seasonic. I don't personally think it's risky to buy one used, but you should try to figure out just how old it is. If it's more than 5 years, I would strongly advise against. Power supplies that are designed to be system specific will often use cheaper components, not be as stable (especially if you are overclocking), and use proprietary or limited form factors/ connectors. Check out the Scrapyard Wars series' from LTT for examples of the challenges of building a hodge-podge PC. But in the end, I don't see any issues with buying used.