Questions about Arma 3

Camul

So I noticed that it's on sale and it'a a game I've been curious about for a while, but I have a few questions before I buy. 

1) How long is the game's singleplayer mode currently?

2) Can you aim down the sights, or is it like CS?

3) Can you pick which guns you want to use at any time?

4) Can you customize your guns and if so to what extent?

5) Is the digital deluxe map worth paying extra for?

6) What is the controller support like?

Thanks. :)

@6

controller for an FPS?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

@6

controller for an FPS?

Sometimes when I'm feeling lazy I lie in bed and use a controller if it's a single player game. 

1. I haven't thought but would guess 4-6h and then more after the third ep.

2. Click to ADS and hold to zoom

3. Yes

4. Depending on the gun, default non add-on weapons, barrel, sight, side(flash light, laser), ammo-type in some cases (most cases).

5. I son't have it cant tell. Check and decide if you want the extra stuff, it is not necessary.

6. Kb an mouse for infantry and joystick for piloting, i think it supports other types as well, but i wouldn't recommend anything but Kb and mouse for the infantry. There are so many control's you would be missing out on, or having difficulties with, but it can be done

EDIT. personally i would recommend the game, have 180+H time played, and enjoyed it all.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

1. I haven't thought but would guess 4-6h and then more after the third ep.

2. Click to ADS and hold to zoom

3. Yes

4. Depending on the gun, default non add-on weapons, barrel, sight, side(flash light, laser), ammo-type in some cases (most cases).

5. I son't have it cant tell. Check and decide if you want the extra stuff, it is not necessary.

6. Kb an mouse for infantry and joystick for piloting, i think it supports other types as well, but i wouldn't recommend anything but Kb and mouse for the infantry. There are so many control's you would be missing out on, or having difficulties with, but it can be done

Thanks. It sound like it awesome. So is the weapon customization like BF4?

Thanks. It sound like it awesome. So is the weapon customization like BF4?

Just find a nice group to play with and you will be golden, i updated my post so give it a second read.

No, the weapons can be customized on the fly, if you find a better scope on an enemy, take it and use it. 

There are also addons, so you can have pretty much what ever weapons you like, with what ever scopes the community can think of. There are no camos like in BF4, but you can get them in addons, make em your self if you get interested enough.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Sometimes when I'm feeling lazy I lie in bed and use a controller if it's a single player game. 

ah, for the rest, i think you cant customise guns, exept for maybe scopes, you can aim down sight, i dont know if you get a free pick at guns, but i think so.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

ah, for the rest, i think you cant customise guns, exept for maybe scopes, you can aim down sight, i dont know if you get a free pick at guns, but i think so.

I couldn't find a video about the full release yet, but that is just more content, here is a video about it, it doesn't show the UI for it but it but i gives the intel you'll need.

EDIT again, still not full release but it gives you the idea of the inventory UI. Here

I hope these help.

Spoiler

Just find a nice group to play with and you will be golden, i updated my post so give it a second read.

No, the weapons can be customized on the fly, if you find a better scope on an enemy, take it and use it. 

There are also addons, so you can have pretty much what ever weapons you like, with what ever scopes the community can think of. There are no camos like in BF4, but you can get them in addons, make em your self if you get interested enough.

Thanks. I think I'm definitely gonna pick this up when I get the money. Although, if the campaign is like 4-6 hours long what else can you do after that?

The amount of controls in the game are far more than any controller ive seen. They do work but man youd be mapping keys 5 times over lol.

weapon customization is decent enough its done from your inventory. So if you pick up a weapon and were to hate the scope. You can just remove it. Only thing I haven't found was a good tac light for it.

Aim down sights is odd at first because it has very little zoom effect to it just like real. But if your used to bf, moh, cod it can be weird. Distances are alot more realistic which can be a piss off because targets that are well within your range can be extremely small.

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?

Camul. Make your own missions or dowload other peoples. Get online with some friends and go tjrough as a squd etc..

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?

Thanks. I think I'm definitely gonna pick this up when I get the money. Although, if the campaign is like 4-6 hours long what else can you do after that?

Mp and custom missions, also custom campaigns.

Spoiler

Camul. Make your own missions or dowload other peoples. Get online with some friends and go tjrough as a squd etc..

Thanks. I can't wait to buy this game! 

1) Single Player,  I managed to do the first set of missions in a single shift at work (12 hours) a few missions took me a few attempts to do it as i had the AI set to max. so with all 3 single player plus the showcase missions Id say you could get at least 20 hours worth of fun from it.

2)You can aim down sights you can free look around with out moving your gun off target. and your optcs usually have two modes of zoom. Looking down the sights gives you the basic and hitting "/" default key will give you your second level of zoom (surprised how few people actually know this one. all my friends despite having the game longer than me never knew of it)

3) With in reason. For example in the single player, you can chose what guns that have at the base. or you can grab a rile from a corpse you find. And with multiplayer it also depends on the game mode you're playing. There is a vast choice of weapons in the game, but they are offered in a more realistic manner. as this is after all a Mil-sim game.

4) I have no idea about the map, Never needed it, and do not plan on ever getting it. (unless its free)

5) With this game having so many controls, I would say that controller support would not be fantastic. joysticks can be used for flight, but an Xbox pad would be far from ideal for this game. as if you were to use a game pad you would more than Likely lose a lot of the features such as being unable to free look around while running.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

@Skreedles

Your Computer will run it, But I will say this now, you will want to put the game no higher than medium settings at 1080p as it can be a bitch at times.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

@Skreedles

Your Computer will run it, But I will say this now, you will want to put the game no higher than medium settings at 1080p as it can be a bitch at times.

I heard it is poorly optimized.

Other can give you details about the features, i will give this warning, in the simplest form i can think of.

If you are looking for a replacement/cheaper alternative for BF or COD, you will most likely not enjoy any ARMA

If you are looking for a change from the arcade FPS, this is a good option.

As for the clans/groups/squads you will wan't to join. There are ARMA 3 only clans (plenty), but there are many more that will require you to own ARMA 2 as well. The simple reason is ARMA 2 has ACE (advanced combat environment), and ACE is simply amazing. It brings so much realism to the original game, once you try it, there is no going back. This is not a concern for when you are looking for a group, just worth mentioning.

Spoiler

I heard it is poorly optimized.

Its extremely CPU limited in its basic design (its basically a single threaded game) to the old engine design they are using. It might look good but once your GPU is good enough the CPU just can't push the frames. In a real multiplayer game with an overclocked high end modern CPU its hard to even get 30 fps, doesn't matter what hardware you have. BIS might one day fix it but people have been complaining about it since the Alpha in March so don't hold your breath on that one.

Too bad vm graphics suck vm it single cored and use all your cores to run the vm cpu. Even the overhead would be covered in some cases

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

I play arma 3 for just the Wasteland game mode. It is very enjoyable if you can find the right server. And it can be a bastard too....although you will spend a lot of time running about.

So I've played it for about 30 minutes so far and well, it's pretty difficult to say the least. The controls are gonna take a lot to get used to, but so far I'm enjoying it, and I'm happy that it's not gonna be as easy as a CoD or BF campaign.

the big selling point on arma 3 i think is the different level's of moving and like all Bohemia games you have a neck.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

So I've played it for about 30 minutes so far and well, it's pretty difficult to say the least. The controls are gonna take a lot to get used to, but so far I'm enjoying it, and I'm happy that it's not gonna be as easy as a CoD or BF campaign.

it's more of a sim then a FPS , yes you need all your keys and i recommened going through them and custom binding them to suit you , for me i unbind lock lean and space for prone

i also use a head tracker

once your done with single play multi or theres Plenty of mods on Armaholic - and arma is mod friendly

Its all about those volumetric clouds