Those of you with ADHD...

Pickles von Brine
10 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Thanks for the support. I have spent the past 5 years learning about it as much as I can. Recently got an ADHD coach and she is AWESOME! Has helped me realize and come to terms with so much stuff. Helping me build myself up too! 

Oh yeah, it's amazing what a boost in moral can come from learning that one has ADHD and what it's all about. Learning you are not lazy, stupid, or crazy is so liberating. In fact, their is an excellent book by that title, You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder, that is written in language lay people can understand. It's surprisingly accurate--dead on, actually--for have been written by non-professionals and is still relevant today despite being written so long ago.

Sadly, there are a lot shrinks who are unfamiliar with adult ADHD and many people with it slip through the cracks.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Oh yeah, it's amazing what a boost in moral can come from learning that one has ADHD and what it's all about. Learning you are not lazy, stupid, or crazy is so liberating. In fact, their is an excellent book by that title, You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder, that is written in language lay people can understand. It's surprisingly accurate--dead on, actually--for have been written by non-professionals and is still relevant today despite being written so long ago.

Sadly, there are a lot shrinks who are unfamiliar with adult ADHD and many people with it slip through the cracks.

Ooo. I am going to check that book out. Put it up on audible!

And yes, it is really sad. I have met many that just had no idea what they were talking about and I walked out mid session. Honestly, my coach has been taking the role of my shrink and has worked wonders for me. I plan on going to pyschiatrist once this crap all blows over and get back onto meds. Not a high does, just enough to help me self regulate. :)

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

13 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Do you find yourself sometimes making weird sounds, inventing sounds or just... acting weird to entertain yourself? Ever gotten a comment from it? I end up making myself laugh or smile. 

I have/do sometimes. I'm finally back on medication, so it's not as obvious anymore, and I never did it publicly where I'd get a comment from it.

1 minute ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Ooo. I am going to check that book out. Put it up on audible!

And yes, it is really sad. I have met many that just had no idea what they were talking about and I walked out mid session. Honestly, my coach has been taking the role of my shrink and has worked wonders for me. I plan on going to pyschiatrist once this crap all blows over and get back onto meds. Not a high does, just enough to help me self regulate. :)

Even worse are employers who do not understand that ADHD is a learning disability that can be compensated for or just don't care. The second official diagnosis I got was the result of testing ordered by my employer--the one I now get my pension and Medicare supplemental insurance from--for the purpose of ruling out ADHD despite my first diagnosis by the shrink who was monitoring my hormone therapy. 

I've had micromanaging supervisors who couldn't understand I had to do things, including learning new procedures, a certain way that did not inhibit my ability to do so and gave me grief just because it wasn't the same as for others. Even trying to get advice online on how to do something can be a nightmare becaiuse i need simple, complete, step by step directions on how to do something new to me and they get very impatient, and some abrasive with me.

Here is a typical response I often get when i ask for clarification on how to do something and my response (it's amazing I don't get arrested for practicing proctology without a license after the reamings i sometimes give out):

rene wrote: ↑Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:19 pm
...I've seen you posit your "disability" quite a few times now. Please note that it is not the rest of the world's responsibility to compensate; it is your's to try harder, or to live with giving up. In fact, that is precisely why disabilities suck so much...

My response:

Wow! Using your "logic", there would be no handicapped ramps for building entrances, no sloped curbs where sidewalks come to crosswalks, etc., no Braille on ATMs, elevator controls, etc., no sign language interpreters at public events, etc. Granted, many of those had to be mandated by law but that was because of so many people who share your attitude.

This kind of attitude is similar to the attitude many Linux users have that puts down people who do not know as much as they do or do not know as much as they do, especially for things they consider to be basic. That's one of the the reasons many people will not switch to Linux. Fortunately, that attitude is on the decline.

ADHD is a disability, the same as with people with disabilities that confine them to wheel chairs, the hearing impaired, the blind, etc. Compensation is what life is like for people with ADHD. Using computers is one of those many compensations for me. Telling me to live with giving up is unbelievably cruel. That's like telling people with respiratory issues to never go anywhere, such as restaurants, offices, factories, etc. because they can't be around cigarette smoke (fortunately, here in the SSA, most places have laws prohibiting smoking in public places like that because of so many smokers with selfish, insensitive attitudes). Asking for simple, complete, step by step directions is one of the ways I compensate. Learning is harder for me so I do try harder, contrary to what you apparently believe.

I do not feel I'm asking too much for simple, complete, step by step instructions. Everyone has to start at the beginning so I'm not the only who would benefit from them. My biggest gripe with computer tech sites is people who assume others will already know what these people consider to be basic knowledge, then get upset when people run into problems because of gaps in their knowledge.

Back before I retired, I was often the one who was asked to train new employees, not because I knew more than anyone else, but because I understood the need to give complete training and not assume anyone knew anything. Employees I trained usually did better on the job (unless they were just too lazy) than ones trained by others. I was often the one assigned to develop and/or write up procedures for the same reason.

I understand that people who help others on forums are usually volunteers and are not required to do anything, let alone get paid for it. That is why I really appreciate anyone taking the effort to try to help me. However, if anyone is going to do anything, it only makes sense to do it right. That includes giving proper instructions. If you can't be bothered, then why are you even here?

Btw, his post was taken down either by him or a mod but my response, complete with the quote of his response, remains.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

36 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

And where did you get your degree in Psychology? I felt he was spot on.

For the record, I got mine from Abilene Christian College, class of '71. Even though I never used my degree vocationally, I did continue my studies informally, eventually concentrating on LGBT studies, including working with transgender support groups and, occasionally, speaking to college classes. After being diagnosed with ADHD, I expanded my studies to the area of ADHD.

He’s talking about stats that are complete bullshit. Taking about sections of the brain that do relate to actual conditions but trying to rope it in to ADHD. 

Psychology is a con, it’s not a science because it is purely subjective to the point where you have 2 sets of psychologists in court cases trying to prove each other wrong. If someone has a mental condition you can prove it through objective data not behaviour patterns. For example take Jeffery dahmer, clearly fucking insane but didn’t get the insanity verdict despite having being diagnosed with 4 different conditions. How can you get the exact opposite result with the same data points? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

9 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

He’s talking about stats that are complete bullshit. Taking about sections of the brain that do relate to actual conditions but trying to rope it in to ADHD. 

Psychology is a con, it’s not a science because it is purely subjective to the point where you have 2 sets of psychologists in court cases trying to prove each other wrong. If someone has a mental condition you can prove it through objective data not behaviour patterns. For example take Jeffery dahmer, clearly fucking insane but didn’t get the insanity verdict despite having being diagnosed with 4 different conditions. How can you get the exact opposite result with the same data points? 

🙄

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

🙄

Tinfoil hat anyone?

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

38 minutes ago, divito said:

I have/do sometimes. I'm finally back on medication, so it's not as obvious anymore, and I never did it publicly where I'd get a comment from it.

Meds help. Have you noticed any suppression of your emotions or anyhting? What meds are you currently taking? I use to be on adderall and it use to suppress my emotions a bit. 

1 hour ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Meds help. Have you noticed any suppression of your emotions or anyhting? What meds are you currently taking? I use to be on adderall and it use to suppress my emotions a bit. 

If anything, I might be more easily irritable? But other than that, I haven't had any bad side effects or other suppression. Just clears my head and thinking is more linear.

Currently taking Ritalin ER.

Long story short: I asked my GP in my late teens (I'm 34 now) about my issues and he gave me Ritalin SR. I only filled it once (and it helped) but I'm weird and never bothered for a refill (I don't go to doctors much).

Then late last year I inquired with my new GP about restarting it as I've noticed issues at work, so started on it again. Found I was crashing when SR ran out (8 hours), so I requested Ritalin ER so I can use it for work days. Lasts 12ish hours and there is less of a crash, even with upping the dosage. Also have regular Ritalin and SR for days I don't need the full benefit. 

Good to hear. Definitely some powerful tools for us. Glad it is helping @divito

I plan talk to my doc when the crap is all over to get back on meds. I prefer to get back on adderall. I had far less sideeffects on it. Stratera did nothing for me. :/ Ritalin gives me... all kinds of trouble. Biggest one is high blood pressure and hart palpitations.