Those of you with ADHD...

Pickles von Brine

Do you find yourself sometimes making weird sounds, inventing sounds or just... acting weird to entertain yourself? Ever gotten a comment from it? I end up making myself laugh or smile. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 hour ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Do you find yourself sometimes making weird sounds, inventing sounds or just... acting weird to entertain yourself? Ever gotten a comment from it? I end up making myself laugh or smile. 

I do sometimes when I'm alone or I'm playing with a pet but I do not believe that is an exclusive characteristic of ADHD.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

i mean sometimes I make up random ass sounding words to mess with people usually in discord. the words are usually shit similar to rick and morty stuff (schlaangus, humbus, yombo) just random ass stuff that sounds funny, but i mean it's usually to troll people. usually the respond with: "wtf is a humbus" and i like laugh at them for not knowing what humbus is.

I support Humbus

9 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

What do you mean "sometimes".? . :)

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

24 minutes ago, Praesi said:

What do you mean "sometimes".? . :)

Ah, a man of cultured delight. Indeed. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

25 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Ah, a man of cultured delight. Indeed. 

Exactly. A man. 🙄

😉

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Exactly. A man. 🙄

😉

Damn, that hurt. XD

10 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

You do know 90% of children in America would be diagnosed as ADHD if the were assessed.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

32 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

You do know 90% of children in America would be diagnosed as ADHD if the were assessed.

That is false. ADHD is not something 90% of children will have. Yes, there has been a higher diagnosis of it, but it has been because of better testing. ADHD is a neurological disorder that will persist into adult in in 2/3rd of cases. Children will be hyperactive and maybe inattentive, but that does not mean they have ADHD. 

The name ADHD does not even properly describe the condition as well. We do not lack attention, we struggle with regulation of attention amoung MANY MANY other things. ADHD is an executive function disorder, not an attention deficit disorder.

List of executive functions:

1. Nonverbal working memory
  2. Internalization of Speech (verbal working memory)
  3. Self-regulation of affect/motivation/arousal
  4. Reconstitution (planning and generativity)

List of executive functions disrupted by ADHD:

1. Organizing, prioritizing and activating for tasks
  2. Focusing, sustaining and shifting attention to task
  3. Regulating alertness, sustaining effort and processing speed
  4. Managing frustration and modulating emotions
  5. Utilizing working memory and accessing recall
  6. Monitoring and self-regulating action

It is one of the biggest pain in the asses to work with. So unless you have it you will not understand the social and emotion distress it causes. There is no cure either. Medication only helps out with certain areas and does not resolve it. 

It also affects my sleep. I have something called DSPD and delayed onsite insomnia do it. 

Coping skills, understanding and building tools to assist and working with it is the only way to live with it. 

3 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

That is false. ADHD is not something 90% of children will have. Yes, there has been a higher diagnosis of it, but it has been because of better testing. ADHD is a neurological disorder that will persist into adult in in 2/3rd of cases. Children will be hyperactive and maybe inattentive, but that does not mean they have ADHD. 

The name ADHD does not even properly describe the condition as well. We do not lack attention, we struggle with regulation of attention amoung MANY MANY other things. ADHD is an executive function disorder, not an attention deficit disorder.

List of executive functions:

1. Nonverbal working memory
  2. Internalization of Speech (verbal working memory)
  3. Self-regulation of affect/motivation/arousal
  4. Reconstitution (planning and generativity)

List of executive functions disrupted by ADHD:

1. Organizing, prioritizing and activating for tasks
  2. Focusing, sustaining and shifting attention to task
  3. Regulating alertness, sustaining effort and processing speed
  4. Managing frustration and modulating emotions
  5. Utilizing working memory and accessing recall
  6. Monitoring and self-regulating action

It is one of the biggest pain in the asses to work with. So unless you have it you will not understand the social and emotion distress it causes. There is no cure either. Medication only helps out with certain areas and does not resolve it. 

There was literally a study and 90% of the children in the study qualified for an ADHD diagnosis. Most cases are diagnosed during childhood even though you can’t properly diagnose it until adulthood. False ADHD diagnosis are the biggest scam in psychiatry. 

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

There was literally a study and 90% of the children studied qualified for an ADHD diagnosis. Most cases are diagnosed during childhood even though you can’t properly diagnose it until adulthood. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/facts-statistics-infographic

https://www.addrc.org/adhd-numbers-facts-statistics-and-you/

https://www.adhd.org.nz/adhd-is-more-common-than-you-think.html

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html

Furthermore for adults:
https://www.additudemag.com/statistics-of-adhd/
I would love to see this study. So far I have not come with such a thing. Wherever you read it either was BS or completely not fact checked. 

This is an area I would consider myself an expert in. Do not make wide sweeping claims without proof. 

I also invite you to read this paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724232/

13 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/facts-statistics-infographic

https://www.addrc.org/adhd-numbers-facts-statistics-and-you/

https://www.adhd.org.nz/adhd-is-more-common-than-you-think.html

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html

Furthermore for adults:
https://www.additudemag.com/statistics-of-adhd/
I would love to see this study. So far I have not come with such a thing. Wherever you read it either was BS or completely not fact checked. 

This is an area I would consider myself an expert in. Do not make wide sweeping claims without proof. 

I also invite you to read this paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724232/

You know you have an issue when the sources list for your paper is longer than the paper itself. 

The issue isn’t that it exists the issue is its MASSIVELY over-diagnosed I’ll link a Harvard piece but it essentially says the upper range of ADHD is 5%, UPPER RANGE. Yet places are claiming figures in excess of 30%. There’s mountains of literature out there about how people have been over diagnosing ADHD for profit due to a lack of real tests. You’re talking half a billion dollars a year in 2007 just for America. Most cases are likely down to other factors not ADHD. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6172.full

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-adhd-overdiagnosed-and-overtreated-2017031611304

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

You know you have an issue when the sources list for your paper is longer than the paper itself. 

The issue isn’t that it exists the issue is its MASSIVELY over-diagnosed I’ll link a Harvard piece but it essentially says the upper range of ADHD is 5%, UPPER RANGE. Yet places are claiming figures in excess of 30%. There’s mountains of literature out there about how people have been over diagnosing ADHD for profit due to a lack of real tests. You’re talking half a billion dollars a year in 2007 just for America. Most cases are likely down to other factors not ADHD. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6172.full

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-adhd-overdiagnosed-and-overtreated-2017031611304

That I can definitely agree with on this, but I disagree with your previous statement about 90% of children having ADHD. 

ADHD was/is definitely overdiagnosed. Testing isn't perfect either and the studies on the affects of those with it isn't super well understood. 

Dr. Russel Barkley has been working really hard to find proper ways of diagnosing and educating those not only with it but health professionals about it. There is also a strong genetic link to ADHD too. So, it is very well possible there could be genomic testing to find out if you do 100% have it. 

That coupled with the fact that those who have ADHD a lot of the times are just give meds and told to shew without helping them is a huge problem. Not only myself, but many of my friends with it never got the help they needed when they were younger. Medication is only part of the solution. In many ways I wish it was taken as seriously as autism and given the same amount of work and diligence. Many would be so much better for it. I am 30 and just now getting help in building the scaffolding to hold myself together. It is honestly not only the failing of the system, but lack of research done on it in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

That I can definitely agree with on this, but I disagree with your previous statement about 90% of children having ADHD. 

ADHD was/is definitely overdiagnosed. Testing isn't perfect either and the studies on the affects of those with it isn't super well understood. 

Dr. Russel Barkley has been working really hard to find proper ways of diagnosing and educating those not only with it but health professionals about it. There is also a strong genetic link to ADHD too. So, it is very well possible there could be genomic testing to find out if you do 100% have it. 

That coupled with the fact that those who have ADHD a lot of the times are just give meds and told to shew without helping them is a huge problem. Not only myself, but many of my friends with it never got the help they needed when they were younger. Medication is only part of the solution. In many ways I wish it was taken as seriously as autism and given the same amount of work and diligence. Many would be so much better for it. I am 30 and just now getting help in building the scaffolding to hold myself together. It is honestly not only the failing of the system, but lack of research done on it in the first place. 

I didn’t say 90% have them I said with the current guidelines 90% of children could be diagnosed with ADHD. That’s the point that the guidelines are too broad. 

The “testing” is all subjective nonsense. You can’t strap someone into an MRI and diagnose it properly it’s all behaviour which is whatever the psychiatrist wants it to be effectively. So they can say oh well little tummy has ADHD here have a prescription for this drug for only $X a month and you’ll have to be seeing me again once a month for an hour that’ll be another small payment etc etc. Psychology in general is a minefield, none of them can agree on anything, it’s not proper science because the proper science is called neurology. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I didn’t say 90% have them I said with the current guidelines 90% of children could be diagnosed with ADHD. That’s the point that the guidelines are too broad. 

The “testing” is all subjective nonsense. You can’t strap someone into an MRI and diagnose it properly it’s all behaviour which is whatever the psychiatrist wants it to be effectively. So they can say oh well little tummy has ADHD here have a prescription for this drug for only $X a month and you’ll have to be seeing me again once a month for an hour that’ll be another small payment etc etc. Psychology in general is a minefield, none of them can agree on anything, it’s not proper science because the proper science is called neurology. 

There is a neurological link with ADHD. Those with it do, neurologically, have issues and that is what caused the psychological issues. It is also the easisted to treat. 

18 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

There is a neurological link with ADHD. Those with it do, neurologically, have issues and that is what caused the psychological issues. It is also the easisted to treat. 

I’m sorry but he’s talking a load of wank. 

He is one of the foremost expert in ADHD. Definitely not talking wank. ADHD is a neurological disorder, not a psychological one. However, its symptions preset as a psychological. 

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

Can't say that I have ADHD for sure but I definitely do... odd things and do make odd noises, for sure, to keep myself entertained.

Indeed. Question though, have you found yourself to be a rather outside-the-box thinker @handymanshandle

Just now, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Indeed. Question though, have you found yourself to be a rather outside-the-box thinker @handymanshandle

Tends to depend on the context, but sometimes, yes.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

12 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

I've been making weird sounds, like yelling, squealing etc. ever since early childhood and still continue to do it. I find myself doing it when I feel somehow especially energetic and my understanding of it is that I am trying to control my energy-levels. I do have Asperger's Syndrome as well as ADHD, so I don't know how much of my behaviour is from the former and how much from the latter.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

...It is one of the biggest pain in the asses to work with. So unless you have it you will not understand the social and emotion distress it causes...

You can say that again! Imagine someone having to go through school and the work place not being diagnosed with ADHD until in they were in their early 50s. I don't have to imagine it because that was me. ADHD was not really known about in the '50s to the early '70s when I graduated from college.

...t also affects my sleep. I have something called DSPD and delayed onsite insomnia do it...

I have the same thing although it was never formally diagnosed. It never manifested itself until after I worked 5 1/2 years on third shift for a convenience store chain after retiring the first time. Prior to that, I had worked jobs all my life that required to get up early in the morning so I was able to bull my way through it. Now that I'm retired for keeps, I affectiuonately refer to my DSPD as shift lag since it is so similar to jet lag. The older I get, the harder it is for me to overcome it.

2 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

...Coping skills, understanding and building tools to assist and working with it is the only way to live with it. 

Exactly. I had learn most of my coping mechanisms on my own by the time I was formally diagnosed.

Jeannie

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I've been making weird sounds, like yelling, squealing etc. ever since early childhood and still continue to do it. I find myself doing it when I feel somehow especially energetic and my understanding of it is that I am trying to control my energy-levels. I do have Asperger's Syndrome as well as ADHD, so I don't know how much of my behaviour is from the former and how much from the latter.

I do the same thing. Sometimes I will just sound like some weird animal. Feels good and its funny. 

2 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You can say that again! Imagine someone having to go through school and the work place not being diagnosed with ADHD until in they were in their early 50s. I don't have to imagine it because that was me. ADHD was not really known about in the '50s to the early '70s when I graduated from college.

I have the same thing although it was never formally diagnosed. It never manifested itself until after I worked 5 1/2 years on third shift for a convenience store chain after retiring the first time. Prior to that, I had worked jobs all my life that required to get up early in the morning so I was able to bull my way through it. Now that I'm retired for keeps, I affectiuonately refer to my DSPD as shift lag since it is so similar to jet lag. The older I get, the harder it is for me to overcome it.

Exactly. I had learn most of my coping mechanisms on my own by the time I was formally diagnosed.

There is a lot of that going around. I am part of ADDA and in the beginners group. I see a lot of this. There was a guy in his 60s that got diagnosed with it. Never knew his entire life. 

DSPD is a real pain in the but though. Do you get really bad brain fog from it? Mine I feel like I can cut it with a knife. 

57 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I’m sorry but he’s talking a load of wank. 

And where did you get your degree in Psychology? I felt he was spot on.

For the record, I got mine from Abilene Christian College, class of '71. Even though I never used my degree vocationally, I did continue my studies informally, eventually concentrating on LGBT studies, including working with transgender support groups and, occasionally, speaking to college classes. After being diagnosed with ADHD, I expanded my studies to the area of ADHD.

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

And where did you get your degree in Psychology? I felt he was spot on.

For the record, I got mine from Abilene Christian College, class of '71. Even though I never used my degree vocationally, I did continue my studies informally, eventually concentrating on LGBT studies and, after being diagnosed with ADHD, in the area of ADHD.

Thanks for the support. I have spent the past 5 years learning about it as much as I can. Recently got an ADHD coach and she is AWESOME! Has helped me realize and come to terms with so much stuff. Helping me build myself up too!