Vegetarians/Vegans. [Poll]

I'm sorry but that seems a tad hypocritical.

I am not vegetarian and I do not support the cruel slaughter techniques that are used in many slaughter houses. That's why I buy local and open range products. These products are much more sustainable but they will cost more to purchase. It is also relatively easy for me to gain access to such products living in southern California

But factory farms aren't the only issue. Massive agriculture also have a negative impact on the environment. Yeah it's not in CO2 emissions but in deforestation, irrigation, soil degradation, etc. just because you went vegan/vegetarian does not mean you're being ecologically conscious.

If you want to help preserve the environment in terms of dietary choices then local and open range is the way to do it. Blind vegetarianism/veganism doesn't really solve anything and really just switches one negative outcome for another

Yes you are correct, I am switching my CO2 emissions from one thing to another. But I am still producing less CO2 than meat-eaters that drive Chevy pickups

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I'm sorry but that seems a tad hypocritical.

I am not vegetarian and I do not support the cruel slaughter techniques that are used in many slaughter houses. That's why I buy local and open range products. These products are much more sustainable but they will cost more to purchase. It is also relatively easy for me to gain access to such products living in southern California

But factory farms aren't the only issue. Massive agriculture also have a negative impact on the environment. Yeah it's not in CO2 emissions but in deforestation, irrigation, soil degradation, etc. just because you went vegan/vegetarian does not mean you're being ecologically conscious.

If you want to help preserve the environment in terms of dietary choices then local and open range is the way to do it. Blind vegetarianism/veganism doesn't really solve anything and really just switches one negative outcome for another

Against my personal policy I'll throw my 0.02 here: If you wanted to spare animal cruelty you'd had to consume from inefficient ranches like the ones you mention, at a premium price. If you were to go vegetarian/vegan, normal agriculture is like you said, equally as bad to the environment so you should probably only consume organic agriculture, which again is really inefficient and expensive.

The only way those two things would be viable in the severely overpopulated world we live in would be depopulation. Nobody in their right mind would suggest that, yet there has to be a way to feed 6+ billion people without having most of them starve to death cause meat is too expensive and crops get eaten by locusts or rot in transport or reach outrageous prices because all of the above.

I mean sure, I'm all for responsible eaters that watch their meat intake (or avoid it altogether) and go vegetarian. My sister is a vegetarian, so it's my cousin, 2 uncles, plenty of people I know are in fact. But the key is that they are all upper middle class citizens with a pretty comfortable lifestyle and can afford to pay premium for their ideological believes. The minute somebody suggest this should be widespread practice I can only point at poor people starving and say "You tell them meat is evil and mass agriculture is terrible for the environment, you go ahead and suggest that they send their family to bed hungry because they couldn't afford to eat an organic-only vegan diet"

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I have the upmost respect for people, who can live like this, because I know I couldn't. 

I always considered maybe doing like a "vegetarian" day, but after like two weeks I couldn't do it. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I love meat, would kill myself if I couldn't eat meat anymore.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Against my personal policy I'll throw my 0.02 here: If you wanted to spare animal cruelty you'd had to consume from inefficient ranches like the ones you mention, at a premium price. If you were to go vegetarian/vegan, normal agriculture is like you said, equally as bad to the environment so you should probably only consume organic agriculture, which again is really inefficient and expensive.

The only way those two things would be viable in the severely overpopulated world we live in would be depopulation. Nobody in their right mind would suggest that, yet there has to be a way to feed 6+ billion people without having most of them starve to death cause meat is too expensive and crops get eaten by locusts or rot in transport or reach outrageous prices because all of the above.

I mean sure, I'm all for responsible eaters that watch their meat intake (or avoid it altogether) and go vegetarian. My sister is a vegetarian, so it's my cousin, 2 uncles, plenty of people I know are in fact. But the key is that they are all upper middle class citizens with a pretty comfortable lifestyle and can afford to pay premium for their ideological believes. The minute somebody suggest this should be widespread practice I can only point at poor people starving and say "You tell them meat is evil and mass agriculture is terrible for the environment, you go ahead and suggest that they send their family to bed hungry because they couldn't afford to eat an organic-only vegan diet"

Nobody here is proposing a widespread organic/vegan/vegetarian adoption world wide. We are speaking in the case of personal preference. If you can afford to go organic/more sustainable source of food intake why not? If you can't afford to then nobody here is forcing you to go about that route. In regards to organic a free range being inefficient, yes you can argue that but they are much more self sustaining than mass food industry. Crops are grown seasonally and rotated to replenish nutrients in the soil. Meats are used in their entirety with minimal waste in regards to the offal of the animal. They are inefficient because they are small scale. They are not large industrialized farms that is the point. In a smaller setting things are more easily controlled. Animals are treated much more humanely. Crops are grown to use with minimal spoilage. The soil's nutrients are used and replenished by rotating crops. It makes our environmental footprint much smaller than that of the regular massive food industry. Paying a slight premium is worth the benefit to the environment in my eyes. 

In regards to overpopulation as the root of the issues. Yes that is true and depopulation is a way to resolve it but how would that even happen? It would be nearly impossible to set out to put reproductive legislation on a world wide scale to curb population growth. At this time we would need some sort of plague or world war to quench the world of our numbers. Either that or have something like in Inferno where

a virus is released that would render a third of the human population infertile thus limiting population growth without sense killing

I've been vegetarian for 1 year and I'm still going strong. Meat is not only cruel, but also a waste of our resources. Over 150 Billion animals are raised and slaughtered every year; this equates to LOTS of CO2 emissions.

Me being vegetarian gives me the right to waste lots of gas driving my 5.7L Hemi Durango, and yes I live in Minnesota

I would much rather have fun driving a powerful SUV than supporting the cruel slaughter of animals

CO2 used to feed plants... 1 word

Bacon's

/Posted Image

post-44680-13931279030582_thumb.jpg

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

CO2 used to feed plants... 1 word

Bacon's

wtf?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

somethin about a Texas BBQ that gets my mouth watering

Posted Image

Oh lord we have a Texan on our hands. Memphis master race!

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

I'm not quite vegan, but pretty damn close. I only eat meat like once every two weeks and in general I simply don't like it. The texture of it has always made me lose my appetite and I'm not a fan of the metallic blood taste. There's lots of pros to not eating crazy amounts of meat, but they're just icing on the cake.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I would love to be a vegitarian if i could afford it.

It really isn't that expensive

Vegetarians don't eat grass.

So no wheat grass?

wheatgrassgrowalternate11.jpg

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

@ForAnyoneStillReading

Why is it Vegetarians/Vegans (well some) have to force their mantra on everyone else? Its sold like a religion, by shunning the other or out casting it, there is no middle ground. When anyone who has ever studied nutrition knows darn well a diet of only Vegetables will render said person weak in certain vitamins impairing health, some secretly take these nutrients not found or found in very small quantities through supplements but hide it like their breaking a law. Well yes, they're contradicting their own words and ways but damn if they will ever tell anyone of this.

If its so great just do it and move on there is no need for a scene at the local BBQ place complaining about the lack of Veg-ian/Vegan options, when's the last time a carnivore lover stepped into a Tofu house and threw a temper tantrum due to the lack of steak? If you like veggies eat at a veggie place and if you like meat eat at a meat place, its pretty simple.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.