Are Waterproof Phones Now Mandatory?

Uttamattamakin

Having a phone that is waterproof or water resistant was a remarkable and even optional feature not that long ago. For example of waterproof being optional consider the folding phones none of which are waterproof.  Now we have the requirement to really be safe we have to sanitize our cell phones almost as much as we have to sanitize our hands.  

I want to credit the channel that brought this up. Naomi Sexy Cyborg Wu pointed this out 15:48 into this phone unboxing. 

I don't think I've seen anyone else make that point.  

So from now on and forever will wee NEED to have waterproof phones?

For that matter mice, keyboards or any other accessories we touch?   At leat waterproof enough that wiping it down with 70%-90% alcohol while powered off can't possibly cause a problem even if not done carefully

26 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

So from now on and forever will wee NEED to have waterproof phones?

From a practical perspective? I would agree, we should all have water proof phones.

From a legal perspective? No, it's not a mandatory feature. There are ways of cleaning your tech without damaging them. Whether or not people clean things correctly is irrelevant to the manufacturer.

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Naomi Sexy Cyborg Wu

is this the point of humanity that we reached?

OT: 

you can just sanitize your phone wth alcohol wipes tho?

Water resistance is a nice feature for the accidental plunge into water, or use in the rain. However, i wouldn’t intentionally want to test the water resistance myself as warranties don’t cover water damage. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It's possible to clean something without rinsing it under a running watertap.

No, I won't consider water resistance (waterproofing doesn't really exist) a mandatory feature to consider.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I’ve took photos underwater with my phone and that was quite useful tbh 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

70%-90% alcohol while powered off can't possibly cause a problem even if not done carefully

This is already a thing, 70-90% alcohol posses very little threat of corrosion, although 90% would be better when dealing with bare pcb in order to not risk corroding the traces.

im sorry, but the fact that her YouTube channel is “Naomi sexy cyborg wu” and she washed her phone with soap and water, (mind you, soap isn’t always antibacterial) 

really makes me not want to believe anything else she says.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 hours ago, danomicar said:

From a practical perspective? I would agree, we should all have water proof phones.

From a legal perspective? No, it's not a mandatory feature. There are ways of cleaning your tech without damaging them. Whether or not people clean things correctly is irrelevant to the manufacturer.

Mandatory as in something the market would demand is likely what she meant.  Like in the way that some kind of a camera is mandatory.  A smart phone without a camera, front or back no camera at all would not sell.  

Maybe it should be mandatory.    

2 hours ago, minibois said:

It's possible to clean something without rinsing it under a running watertap.

No, I won't consider water resistance (waterproofing doesn't really exist) a mandatory feature to consider.

True but look at the ingredients on the average bottle of hand sanitizer.  A good sanitizer is mostly alcohol but the rest is aloevera and other subtances that might gum up the works if they get into electronics.  

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

is this the point of humanity that we reached?

OT: 

you can just sanitize your phone wth alcohol wipes tho?

Agree but the average joe or jane walking the streets doesn't carry those.  They may carry hand sanitizer.  Being able to give your hands  a squirt of sanitizer and just rub them on your phone without fear of malfunction is very practical. 

You have to think about what the average Joe wants. 

1 hour ago, scuff gang said:

This is already a thing, 70-90% alcohol posses very little threat of corrosion, although 90% would be better when dealing with bare pcb in order to not risk corroding the traces.

im sorry, but the fact that her YouTube channel is “Naomi sexy cyborg wu” and she washed her phone with soap and water, (mind you, soap isn’t always antibacterial) 

really makes me not want to believe anything else she says.

Then it is your loss.    You have cell phones and wifi and anything else that involves frequency hopping directly because of someone who made much of their living in a way not so dissimilar to Naomi Wu.  That's not some feminist reaching that is fact. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/bombshell-shatters-myth-of-wi-fi-bluetooth-inventor-hedy-lamarr/

But hey TV and movies have convinced us that men and women of real intelligence can't also be physically fit and groomed much less care about their appearance. 

2 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

But hey TV and movies have convinced us that men and women of real intelligence can't also be physically fit and groomed much less care about their appearance. 

what does the point that she uses normal water and soap for antibacterial cleaning to do with her looks? nobody here mentioned her looks except you.

3 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Naomi Sexy Cyborg Wu

I can't take someone with "sexy" in their name, combined with that thumbnail, seriously.

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

what does the point that she uses normal water and soap for antibacterial cleaning to do with her looks? nobody here mentioned her looks except you.

I quoted what you wrote your original post expressed negative feelings around her choice of YouTube name.   You know people choose a channel name to get people to look at their content right?

We have to think like the average joe who is not an electronics expert to understand her demonstration.  If you tell the average person to sanitize or clean their phone they are going to think soap and water.  That is a fact. 

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I can't take someone with "sexy" in their name, combined with that thumbnail, seriously.

Why exactly? 

If not again see the links about Headdy Lamar.  There is no reason someone who is "sexy" cannot also be smart.  

In fact if you think about it... if smart people were on average less sexy we'd not have evolved greater intelligence.   (Smarter people being more able to find food, and avoid dangers to life and healthy which leads to looking more attractive, which  with a longer life due to not doing dumb things leads to more descendants. )  To believe that smart people can't also be sexy or concerned with their appearance is basically to disbelieve Darwinian evolution. 

20 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I quoted what you wrote your original post expressed negative feelings around her choice of YouTube name.   You know people choose a channel name to get people to look at their content right?

We have to think like the average joe who is not an electronics expert to understand her demonstration.  If you tell the average person to sanitize or clean their phone they are going to think soap and water.  That is a fact. 

Why exactly? 

If not again see the links about Headdy Lamar.  There is no reason someone who is "sexy" cannot also be smart.  

In fact if you think about it... if smart people were on average less sexy we'd not have evolved greater intelligence.   (Smarter people being more able to find food, and avoid dangers to life and healthy which leads to looking more attractive, which  with a longer life due to not doing dumb things leads to more descendants. )  To believe that smart people can't also be sexy or concerned with their appearance is basically to disbelieve Darwinian evolution. 

You missed my point, and a few others points. I don't care if they look "sexy" and are smart. You can be sexy and smart. That wasn't my point. My point was someone who puts "sexy" in their name and flaunts themselves around wearing but a few pieces of cloth, can't be taken seriously. She could very well be intelligent, but she's belittling that via the name alone. The fact that one uses this at all would normally suggest they're not good at what they do, so they resort to showing themselves off to get views. It's very distracting from the point of the content anyway. No one watches her for anything else - I see this shit on Patreon all the time. People "model" in different clothes, usually none to covering, and all the comments/Patrons are from older men (you figure out the rest).

5 hours ago, EL02 said:

wtf is happening here??!!11!

Edit: Got it. Ok boomer.

Boomers people who are uncomfortable with womanly women doing technical / science stuff. 

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Borderline shitpost

The intent of the post makes it a shitpost.   I really intended a discussion of what she said. 

Her body of work...not the work done on her body. 

OK SO Let me rephrase the question and reset the thread. 

Does it make sense in the post covid-19 world to have a phone that is not waterproof and able to be sanitized, either with alcohol OR with water, in an uncareful manner?

Answer like you are thinking of how people who are of average and below intellect, and non-technical orientations will go about doing that.

9 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Boomers people who are uncomfortable with womanly women doing technical / science stuff. 

The way you are aligning text in the center is making me more uncomfortable.

That channel is the channel equivalent of participation award.

9 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Does it make sense in the post covid-19 world to have a phone that is not waterproof and able to be sanitized, either with alcohol OR with water, in an uncareful manner?

Well there's no such thing as "waterproof". And there's a reason why they're not alcohol proof also.

20 minutes ago, EL02 said:

The way you are aligning text in the center is making me more uncomfortable.

That channel is the channel equivalent of participation award.

Well there's no such thing as "waterproof". And there's a reason why they're not alcohol proof also.

Water and alcohol are different molecules.  In fact CH3OH  the simplest one is much larger than water H2O so if anything being water proof implies being alcohol proof. 

Everyone knows ..."water resistant".  Put a block of steel at the bottom of the Marianas Trench and water might just be able to seep into it.  You know what she means. 

I put text in the middle precisely because the difference will make you stop and read it. 

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Look

I'd like all phones to be water proof

I'd like all phones to last forever and not shatter on drop

But no manufacturer will hear you over the sound of capitalism

Having the phone last forver no.  Planned obsalecence can do that.  Making a version of Andorid your phone can't run AND making it have killer apps can do that. 

If the pones are so lacking in durability that they break often and cost $1000+ people stop buying them.    Once being water resistant becomes a standard all phones will have to do it.  By analogy, imagine buying a computer, ANY computer without USB of some  type.   She is saying that having a water resistant phone might just be becoming a standard not really a plus but a given.  Something that is expected of newer phones in general

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Is its such a terrible loss though?

No. Just wipe the phone with disinfecting wipes

As far as the viruses is concernedAnd if the virus managed to get onto the phone, then the phone isnt the priority any more is it?

True but again, no one will throw away their un disinfect able Galaxy Fold because they had it and coughed all over it while they had Covid-19 (or anything else.) 

It would be nice if whatever came next was at least a bit splash resistant.  From what I understand of it.  The plastic screen on that thing, the Galaxy Fold, or any folding phone,  might not play nicely with high % alcohol. 

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

This is all you and nothing to do with the embedded video

In fact when I made my first reply, the video failed to load

I asked a simple question and got lots of comments about how she could not be taken seriously for being a woman and looking how she does.    With just two words in your post what else could I think?   :) try to articulate more words and you will be better understood  :) 

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

To put this in short, you cant save an idiot just by giving him a water proof phone

No but by that token why have seatbelts? 

8 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

but by that token why have seatbelts? 

Because you can freaking die in case of an accident. 

6 hours ago, EL02 said:

Because you can freaking die in case of an accident. 

Viruses and bacteria can kill you.  Even if you want to argue about this one only killing old sick people (Which is not true) they are a danger. 

I would say that it is becoming a standard for mid to high range phones to be water resistant, however it is not a requirement 

4 hours ago, Gavinn said:

I would say that it is becoming a standard for mid to high range phones to be water resistant, however it is not a requirement 

I'd agree with this.  If I am paying more than 2-3 hundred for a phone I will be disappointed if it is not some degree of water resistant.  At least resistant enough to things getting into it that a squirt of hand sanitizer won't destroy it.