My Motherboard sparked up as I started it!

Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,

Hot air would be best for the job in removal and soldering the new one in.
I'd suggest protecting the immediate area around it with Kapton tape so nothing else is affected too much by the heat.

Once done, test and see if it goes or blows - That's really all you can do at this point.

Hey guys first time poster here and I would like to see if anybody knows what I have damaged?
So I cleaned my computer out and took everything apart to clean the dust. I also installed new RGB LL120 fans on my radiator and on the back end of my computer as an exhaust.

I put everything back together again and realised that my ssd wasn’t connected. So I got my old sata power cable and connected my ssd to my power supply.

I turned on the computer and instantly I saw my motherboard spark and I heard like a pop sound.

The computer still powers on and posts but without the fans working.

Does anybody know what I could have potentially done?

here is a picture I have provided of the damage from the board which is the only thing I can visually see.

A069D85C-79D7-4D13-9AEC-016F7B0EFC35.jpeg

looks like you blew a fuse, but i could be wrong, just going on assumption based on what you said.  I would see if you could rma the board if it is still under warranty

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

2 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

looks like you blew a fuse, but i could be wrong, just going on assumption based on what you said.  I would see if you could rma the board if it is still under warranty

its not under warranty its z170

3 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

That's a voltage regulator not a fuse.

Just now, TrigrH said:

its not under warranty its z170

Could still try, I've RMAd a board before that was long past warranty.

They sent me a newer model though, since they had no stock of the old board.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

My board is now close to 3-4 years old, it wouldn’t be covered by warranty anymore.

I’m trying to work out if it’s a fuse or if I have damaged by fan cpu header on my motherboard. 
I might try buying a fan controller hub from Corsair and see if running a new fan controller will work.

35 minutes ago, AndonK said:

Hey guys first time poster here and I would like to see if anybody knows what I have damaged?
So I cleaned my computer out and took everything apart to clean the dust. I also installed new RGB LL120 fans on my radiator and on the back end of my computer as an exhaust.

I put everything back together again and realised that my ssd wasn’t connected. So I got my old sata power cable and connected my ssd to my power supply.

I turned on the computer and instantly I saw my motherboard spark and I heard like a pop sound.

The computer still powers on and posts but without the fans working.

Does anybody know what I could have potentially done?

here is a picture I have provided of the damage from the board which is the only thing I can visually see.

A069D85C-79D7-4D13-9AEC-016F7B0EFC35.jpeg

Does anybody have this board who can tell me what this part number is that has be damaged?

So from feedback it seems to be the voltage regulator.

2 hours ago, AndonK said:

Does anybody have this board who can tell me what this part number is that has be damaged?

So from feedback it seems to be the voltage regulator.

The main number I can find is PA102F06. The is a transistor. Can't find much about it or what it's specs are. I was unable to find a board diagram for it either. 

Buying that component would probably be very hard. It is also hard to say if anything else would have been damaged as well without a diagram and voltage numbers. 

4 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

The main number I can find is PA102F06. The is a transistor. Can't find much about it or what it's specs are. I was unable to find a board diagram for it either. 

Buying that component would probably be very hard. It is also hard to say if anything else would have been damaged as well without a diagram and voltage numbers. 

Thank you for your help much appreciated :)

right now my best option is to probably take it to a professional and see if it’s fixable by the looks of it.

Hey guys,

I've blown a mosfet/transistor off my motherboard (used the wrong modular power cable to try and power a cheap fan controller). if anyone has this model: Asus Maximus Viii Hero Alpha. I've attached a photo of the blown mosfet, there are 3 different other kinds on the mother board but I need to know which one it is so i can get a replacement. 

If anyone has this motherboard I'd really appreciate some help working out that component model number (should be on top of the part)

Thank you!

Asus_Maximus_Viii_Hero_Alpha_Blown_component.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 3820 @ 4.37Ghz | RAM: Kingston Hyper X 16Gb | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr ii edition | Storage: 2 x Samsung Evo 840 500GB (Raid 0) | PSU: Corsair RM-850 | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler: Corsair H110 | OS: Win7 | Monitor: Sony 40" TV | Mouse: Corsair M65 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Audio: Harman/Kardon

23 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Do you have the same board?

and is that the number on the component?

You already posted about this once.  And under a different name it seems.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Hey man,

Post was by my cousin who the board is for. Trying to get the specific number component number. 

CPU: Intel i7 3820 @ 4.37Ghz | RAM: Kingston Hyper X 16Gb | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr ii edition | Storage: 2 x Samsung Evo 840 500GB (Raid 0) | PSU: Corsair RM-850 | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler: Corsair H110 | OS: Win7 | Monitor: Sony 40" TV | Mouse: Corsair M65 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Audio: Harman/Kardon

Got it.  Sorry.  was pretty confusing.   I think someone posted on that thread with the right part.   

Check out Actually Hardcore overclocking.  He does board teardowns and may have a photo of it. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

9 minutes ago, Radsta said:

Post was by my cousin

Make sure to keep posts about this in one thread as creating multiple threads about the same subject can be considered spamming (even if it's from different members).

* Threads merged *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 4/16/2020 at 8:52 PM, m9x3mos said:

20 hours ago, AndonK said:

Thank you for your help much appreciated :)

right now my best option is to probably take it to a professional and see if it’s fixable by the looks of it.

That is a fan controller transistor that you blew.

Transistors marked NIK PA102F06 represent linear voltage regulators. They are used for voltage control on FAN headers.

https://axe.rs/hardver/maticne-ploce/asus-b85-vanguard/7/

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

That is a fan controller transistor that you blew.

Transistors marked NIK PA102F06 represent linear voltage regulators. They are used for voltage control on FAN headers.

https://axe.rs/hardver/maticne-ploce/asus-b85-vanguard/7/

So right now we can't find this part anywhere to buy unfortunately.
I found a second hand motherboard on ebay that is for parts only which i'm going to buy, we are going to take off that part and put it on my busted motherboard.
That is my option A.
Option B is I found 2 motherboards on ebay that are in working condition which is the same as my current motherboard which then leads to me just doing a straight swap.

Option A is the cheap option whilst option B will just cost a little more money.

What would you guys do?

9 hours ago, AndonK said:

So right now we can't find this part anywhere to buy unfortunately.
I found a second hand motherboard on ebay that is for parts only which i'm going to buy, we are going to take off that part and put it on my busted motherboard.
That is my option A.
Option B is I found 2 motherboards on ebay that are in working condition which is the same as my current motherboard which then leads to me just doing a straight swap.

Option A is the cheap option whilst option B will just cost a little more money.

What would you guys do?

Option a you can't really do with a regular soldering iron. If you have a hot air station then sure. 

Personally I would go with b even though I have a pretty good iron. 

Hot air would be best for the job in removal and soldering the new one in.
I'd suggest protecting the immediate area around it with Kapton tape so nothing else is affected too much by the heat.

Once done, test and see if it goes or blows - That's really all you can do at this point.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.