Apparently the new intel nuc can run inside a standard PC

mbntr

As a concept that's really cool, you can have a secondary streaming pc inside your pc or you caould just have it as a linux box...

the Nuc compute element could be added like a graphics card (you will need an additional EPS 12v connector, BUT there are PCIe power to EPS so that's not that big of a deal.

The concept is cool but at the price it isn't very practical

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3512825/intels-ghost-canyon-nuc-and-compute-element-10-questions-and-intriguing-facts.html

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

If it's not able to communicate with the motherboard it's completely pointless... just because you can physically mount it inside another computer doesn't make it part of that computer. I mean, you can also run a raspberry pi inside a standard PC for that matter.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If it's not able to communicate with the motherboard it's completely pointless... just because you can physically mount it inside another computer doesn't make it part of that computer. I mean, you can also run a raspberry pi inside a standard PC for that matter.

well that is true, I don't know yet if it could use the GPU inside your pc, but I don't think it will be possible.

This could be a decent option for those who would buy a dual motherboard system

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

1 minute ago, mbntr said:

I don't know yet if it could use the GPU inside your pc

The article says it can't (and I don't see how it could).

2 minutes ago, mbntr said:

This could be a decent option for those who would buy a dual motherboard system

A dual motherboard system is already such a niche thing that I don't think it would be a problem for them to just buy a case that supports two normal motherboards.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The article says it can't (and I don't see how it could).

A dual motherboard system is already such a niche thing that I don't think it would be a problem for them to just buy a case that supports two normal motherboards.

hey the idea is cool, extremely impractical (and expensive) but it's interesting

Laptop:

Photography:

Cameras:

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

So if I understand it correctly, as neither the Intel page nor the PC World article explain it really well, the card is the "brains" part of the Ghost Canyon NUC. However it could still be used in a regular desktop although without the PCIe connectivity. It will come down to price and some other details but I think personal CPU farms could be a potential application for this. In a similar way some people buy a ton of GPUs to get folding or similar work done, there are use cases where only a CPU will do. This could be interesting to increase density providing the cost is kept in check. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

snip

Here, STH talked about this in their review, it was codenamed Beverly Cove and became a product though only for Facebook open compute platform. it seems it never reached a standard form for common servers and IT infrastructure 

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-nuc9vxqnx-nuc-review-xeon-quartz-canyon/2/

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

You can stick PlayStation 2 inside PC and call it a "console". XD

I thought the rise of extreme core counts and virtualisation in the server space was exactly to prevent the need for this kind of thing. It seems wildly inefficient to have 8 mini PCs, all requiring separate power, running inside one master PC when you can just run one master PC and split it into 8 virtual machines.

I see no upside to this approach over virtualisation?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I thought the rise of extreme core counts and virtualisation in the server space was exactly to prevent the need for this kind of thing. It seems wildly inefficient to have 8 mini PCs, all requiring separate power, running inside one master PC when you can just run one master PC and split it into 8 virtual machines.

I see no upside to this approach over virtualisation?

I'd agree this doesn't make sense in the server realm, but I think it could have application in some more personal level cases. The Xeon models I'd guess were more for workstation class uses than server.

I'd admit my use case is unconventional, but currently I have a two monitor setup at home like many people do, but in my case they're driven by different systems. I can still control both from one keyboard/mouse seamlessly. Why did I end up going this route? Isolation. What happens on one system does not affect what happens on the other. Virtualisation wouldn't offer that level of isolation and I'd argue is a more complex and limiting setup.

Also multiple smaller systems will help against some types of resource constraint. I'm seeing reports that in a Prime95 like compute uses the 32 core Zen 2 CPUs are performing far below expectations, as low as Zen 1 performance which sucks. Without owning one to diagnose myself, I already know it has a very poor CPU to ram bandwidth ratio, which can't be mitigated by the fragmented L3 cache model chosen. I'm speculating it is something related to either the limited bandwidth of infinity fabric, if not the ram itself. I haven't seen similar reports on the 16 core Zen 2 parts which should scale similarly, so that is making me lean slightly towards the internal bandwidth more. Anyway, lower core count monolithic CPUs each with their own memory provides a better balance in this type of use case.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

I'd agree this doesn't make sense in the server realm, but I think it could have application in some more personal level cases. The Xeon models I'd guess were more for workstation class uses than server.

I'd admit my use case is unconventional, but currently I have a two monitor setup at home like many people do, but in my case they're driven by different systems. I can still control both from one keyboard/mouse seamlessly. Why did I end up going this route? Isolation. What happens on one system does not affect what happens on the other. Virtualisation wouldn't offer that level of isolation and I'd argue is a more complex and limiting setup.

Also multiple smaller systems will help against some types of resource constraint. I'm seeing reports that in a Prime95 like compute uses the 32 core Zen 2 CPUs are performing far below expectations, as low as Zen 1 performance which sucks. Without owning one to diagnose myself, I already know it has a very poor CPU to ram bandwidth ratio, which can't be mitigated by the fragmented L3 cache model chosen. I'm speculating it is something related to either the limited bandwidth of infinity fabric, if not the ram itself. I haven't seen similar reports on the 16 core Zen 2 parts which should scale similarly, so that is making me lean slightly towards the internal bandwidth more. Anyway, lower core count monolithic CPUs each with their own memory provides a better balance in this type of use case.

Hasn't that been identified as a Windows CPU scheduling bug or am I confusing it with another issue? I thought it was found that running the same test on an identical system under Linux does not yield the same result as it does under Windows.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

48 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Hasn't that been identified as a Windows CPU scheduling bug or am I confusing it with another issue? I thought it was found that running the same test on an identical system under Linux does not yield the same result as it does under Windows.

That is the belief of those with the system but the numbers still seem lower than I'd expect from those CPUs. There's something more going on there that I can't test without getting such a system myself.

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

wasn't expecting this, but yeah here's a roundup:

PCWorld: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3538128/intel-ghost-canyon-nuc9i9qnx-nuc-9-extreme-review.html

of note: the baseboard has m.2 and PCIe x4 sockets, so the PCIe connection will operate between x16x0x0 and x8x4x4 modes

Intel-NUC-9-baseboard-Large.jpg

also ServeTheHome and Level1Techs have a Xeon counterpart that's codenamed Quartz Canyon o_o

Board states "PCIe x16" Linus "must be PCIe 8x"

Though I agree, most likely running in8x mode, I do wonder if they have done some sort of mux/detection so it runs in 16x if no other device populating it.

7 hours ago, porina said:

So if I understand it correctly, as neither the Intel page nor the PC World article explain it really well, the card is the "brains" part of the Ghost Canyon NUC. However it could still be used in a regular desktop although without the PCIe connectivity. It will come down to price and some other details but I think personal CPU farms could be a potential application for this. In a similar way some people buy a ton of GPUs to get folding or similar work done, there are use cases where only a CPU will do. This could be interesting to increase density providing the cost is kept in check. 

But isn't that covered with Xeon Phi? Why would one need all the added I/O these have compared to those cards? 

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

But isn't that covered with Xeon Phi? Why would one need all the added I/O these have compared to those cards? 

Phi is EOL so not something to use going forward. Even if it was still going on, it really needs software optimised for its strengths, whereas more regular CPUs are more versatile. 

8 hours ago, porina said:

I feel like the critical "flaw" here is that this doesn't need to be in another motherboard's PCIE slot to work. You can make a farm with them, you just don't need a "normal" computer as a base to do it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Interestingly, some Intel Compute cards work in the same manner as well. The QNAP Mustang 200 for example carries an i7-7567U, 2 SODIMMS, a M.2 Port with Intel 600p, 8GB of eMMC and a 10Gbps NIC on a Graphics card form factor.

358_1537325176_Mustang-200-C-8G-R10.png?

Source: https://www.qnap.com/en/product/mustang-200/specs/hardware

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yeah, this thing totally is not suppose to go "in" a PC. It can just use a backplane that supplies the power.

You could put it in a PC case/motherboard slot to save on the cost of buying a custom case + PSU. As a cheapo upgrade *if* they release a celeron version with no i/o and for $30... but anything else is cheaper to just buy it with the case + PSU!!! :P

It's the problem of economies of return. Very very few use cases where this is an actual cost effective "upgrade" if fitting in side a PC, vs fitting it externally and just throwing the old PC out vs upgrading the old PC.

Though, I'd love to see the old slot driven motherboards come back, so all PCs would be slot in/out upgrades! :D

1200px-PDP-11-M7270.jpg

7 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Yeah, this thing totally is not suppose to go "in" a PC. It can just use a backplane that supplies the power.

You could put it in a PC case/motherboard slot to save on the cost of buying a custom case + PSU. As a cheapo upgrade *if* they release a celeron version with no i/o and for $30... but anything else is cheaper to just buy it with the case + PSU!!! :P

It's the problem of economies of return. Very very few use cases where this is an actual cost effective "upgrade" if fitting in side a PC, vs fitting it externally and just throwing the old PC out vs upgrading the old PC.

Though, I'd love to see the old slot driven motherboards come back, so all PCs would be slot in/out upgrades! :D

1200px-PDP-11-M7270.jpg

Why am I getting flashbacks to riser cards for CPUs & ISA slots. Anyone remember the Pentium IIs that came on mini riser cards? Those things were a nightmare to get out of the slots.

30 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I feel like the critical "flaw" here is that this doesn't need to be in another motherboard's PCIE slot to work. You can make a farm with them, you just don't need a "normal" computer as a base to do it.

But then you need x monitors, x mice & x keyboards to run everything (or the worlds most ballin KVM Switch).

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

But then you need x monitors, x mice & x keyboards to run everything (or the worlds most ballin KVM Switch).

You still do since the "main" motherboard wouldn't be able to communicate with the NUC anyway. Or more sensibly you can use remote control software over the network.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Why am I getting flashbacks to riser cards for CPUs & ISA slots. Anyone remember the Pentium IIs that came on mini riser cards? Those things were a nightmare to get out of the slots.

Could not find a photo, but Computerphile had a old mainframe where the entire thing slotted into a massive backplate that had at least 4 full length connectors. So you could fit new slots of motherboards/ram (the ram was the size of the motherboard or some back then!) and other cards into it. It was massive! :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 6:54 PM, mbntr said:

As a concept that's really cool, you can have a secondary streaming pc inside your pc or you caould just have it as a linux box...

the Nuc compute element could be added like a graphics card (you will need an additional EPS 12v connector, BUT there are PCIe power to EPS so that's not that big of a deal.

The concept is cool but at the price it isn't very practical

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3512825/intels-ghost-canyon-nuc-and-compute-element-10-questions-and-intriguing-facts.html

I would love for this to be true and proven! To eliminate needing two boxes, or bulky ugly dual system cases would be a god send for me. I would install a compute element inside my existing Windows PC and run my Linux system on it independantly. No more sluggish vms, no more extra cases. Think of the leg room I could have xD

On 4/16/2020 at 4:18 AM, RejZoR said:

You can stick PlayStation 2 inside PC

MMM IDEAS...

maybe my old Xbox 360 has a use after all!

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6