RX 5700-xt performance issues on Fallout 76

IndioBravo

Hi everyone,

When playing fallout 76, I notice that on some areas where it happens to be when there is high VRAM usage, the framerate drops as bad as 45fps (like cities), but on other areas I have 120+. This is also correlated with the clock speed on the GPU, when I have low FPS, the clock speed drops down and is very variable. The red circle on the image bellow is when the FPS are better.

image.png.260479a15b03a004f0d01513aa961883.png

There are no overheats, given that max temps on GPU and CPU are 80C, with 75C average. Also, CPU usage on the cores are no more than 85% and I have the latest GPU drivers with a clean windows installation.

I know it is normal to have frame drops on certain areas, but with a 5700xt I find it weird to have less than 50FPS. Any idea on what can be causing this?

My specs:

MOBO: Gaming Plus B450

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212

GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8GB

Monitor: Asus mg28qr

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 (3 intake 1 exhuast)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 @3000Mhz

SSD1 (OS): Samsung EVO 500GB

SSD2: Kingstone SSDnow 120GB

HDD1: WD 3TB green

PSU: Corsair RM650x

i had these same issues with my clock speed going as low as 1100mhz. it eventually went away for me after a few days

I forgot to mention that GPU usage rarely goes above 75% while playing this game.

7 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

i had these same issues with my clock speed going as low as 1100mhz. it eventually went away for me after a few days

It went away by itself?

I have my clock speeds got even as low as 500mhz.

just make sure you are on the latest drivers, the problem just ended up going away for me

Just now, Earnist_ said:

just make sure you are on the latest drivers, the problem just ended up going away for me

Yes, the latest. I don`t see it going away, I had these problems on other older games as well :(

How can it be? 5700xt is better than 2080ti.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

1 minute ago, DSD27 said:

How can it be? 5700xt is better than 2080ti.

I am well aware that 2080ti is better.

But I would expect to be able to identify why is there a bottleneck in performance, but metrics indicate that the GPU is just idle because it wants to.

39 minutes ago, Pablo Molina said:

I am well aware that 2080ti is better.

But I would expect to be able to identify why is there a bottleneck in performance, but metrics indicate that the GPU is just idle because it wants to.

Fallout 76 is a cursed game. Does this issue pop up anywhere else? If not it may just be the fact that the game was coded by orangutans

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Fallout 76 is a cursed game. Does this issue pop up anywhere else? If not it may just be the fact that the game was coded by orangutans

Yes, I get this same performance issue with some games such as LoL and GTA online

Just now, Pablo Molina said:

Yes, I get this same performance issue with some games such as LoL and GTA online

Try updating your drivers. 5000 series cards had some issues but there was an update that helped

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Try updating your drivers. 5000 series cards had some issues but there was an update that helped

I have the latest one, I always try to keep it up to date to see if this issue goes away.

1 minute ago, Pablo Molina said:

I have the latest one, I always try to keep it up to date to see if this issue goes away.

Odd, try DDUing and doing a fresh install of drivers.

She/they 

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Odd, try DDUing and doing a fresh install of drivers.

I actually did a fresh windows install yesterday, and did DDU (Using DDU and then using the AMD utility right after) to then install the latest driver for my GPU.

This makes me thing it is probably not software related. The only thing I can think of is a CPU bottleneck but I can`t evidence it.

2 minutes ago, Pablo Molina said:

I actually did a fresh windows install yesterday, and did DDU (Using DDU and then using the AMD utility right after) to then install the latest driver for my GPU.

This makes me thing it is probably not software related. The only thing I can think of is a CPU bottleneck but I can`t evidence it.

That seems unlikely. Is your CPU running cool? It's possible it's overheating and downclocking

She/they 

3 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

That seems unlikely. Is your CPU running cool? It's possible it's overheating and downclocking

Yeah, from 70C to 75C and it runs steadily from 3.85GHz to 3.90GHz.

On games like modern warfare warzone where my GPU is at 99% and running smoothly at 120FPS, my CPU reaches 82C but there is no problem at all. Kind of ironical.

fallout 4 is the same way...the game run on 2 CPU cores and they constently limit the performance whenever some detailed stuff is around you...like cites and stuff...

your problem is not the video card, it's the old ass game engine they still use for these games...it's aweful. a 5.0ghz intel cpu does a bit better...but nothing to write home about...it's just a sh!t game engine code.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

10 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

fallout 4 is the same way...the game run on 2 CPU cores and they constently limit the performance whenever some detailed stuff is around you...like cites and stuff...

your problem is not the video card, it's the old ass game engine they still use for these games...it's aweful. a 5.0ghz intel cpu does a bit better...but nothing to write home about...it's just a sh!t game engine code.

I thought about that, it makes perfect sense. The only thing that does not fit is that I can't see a 100% usage or near on any core.

But oh well, I guess that is the cause for the frame drop in other games also, that have a poor engine. I am guessing AMD drivers also have part of the fault?

1 hour ago, Pablo Molina said:

I thought about that, it makes perfect sense. The only thing that does not fit is that I can't see a 100% usage or near on any core.

But oh well, I guess that is the cause for the frame drop in other games also, that have a poor engine. I am guessing AMD drivers also have part of the fault?

Sometimes cpu cores are just too slow to process fast enough to provide more frames per second...they can be overwhelmed with full usage and be an issue yes...but they can also just be not fast enough when the code is really bad.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Sometimes cpu cores are just too slow to process fast enough to provide more frames per second...they can be overwhelmed with full usage and be an issue yes...but they can also just be not fast enough when the code is really bad.

Thanks for this information, this is actually new to me.

I guess that might be the problem on some games. Anyways, I plan to upgrade my CPU since it is technically the bottleneck of my PC.

There's what I'm getting with a 3600x and 5700xt at 1080p max settings in all games

Screenshot (133).png

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

8 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

There's what I'm getting with a 3600x and 5700xt at 1080p max settings in all games

Screenshot (133).png

image.thumb.png.55f71489cdf648bfcc637eb969c1fb1c.png

Based only on FO76, there is something broken on mi system... I am almost convinced I have to upgrade my CPU.

3 hours ago, Pablo Molina said:

image.thumb.png.55f71489cdf648bfcc637eb969c1fb1c.png

Based only on FO76, there is something broken on mi system... I am almost convinced I have to upgrade my CPU.

I'll run a game of Modern warfare warzone and see what I get framerate wise and post the pic here

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

6 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I'll run a game of Modern warfare warzone and see what I get framerate wise and post the pic here

Excelent thanks!

I notice something strange, I actually get 100-120 fps ingame while playing WarZone. Im not too sure why it displays only 67.6 FPS.