Irrational Games shuts down. Ken Levine want something new

AlexGoesHigh

Well System Shock 2, Bioshock, and Bioshock Infinite are their defining games. Possibly he didnt think the studio could put together something that was better withing the same genre. Also if the game he wanted to work on next was something completely different having irrational do it would be marketing confusion. That is my only guess.

Nononono, you're not thinking of all of the different avenues that he could have taken. He could have started his little 15 man team within Irrational (so 2 teams, the main studio and then him with his 15 man squad of designers) and then that little group could have made whatever game that he wanted to make. He also could have outright left the studio to start a new studio and then bring over those 15 people from Irrational. 

Both of those options are good options, and there was no reason for him not to do either of those. 

COMIC SANS

Nononono, you're not thinking of all of the different avenues that he could have taken. He could have started his little 15 man team within Irrational (so 2 teams, the main studio and then him with his 15 man squad of designers) and then that little group could have made whatever game that he wanted to make. He also could have outright left the studio to start a new studio and then bring over those 15 people from Irrational. 

Both of those options are good options, and there was no reason for him not to do either of those.

Why should I think of what he could have done? What's done is done. What's done, Will be done.

Really nothing we can do about it now ya know? So im just trying to think of his reasoning as to why he would do it

Why should I think of what he could have done? What's done is done. What's done, Will be done.

Really nothing we can do about it now ya know? So im just trying to think of his reasoning as to why he would do it

True, true, but it still makes no sense.

):

COMIC SANS

Didn't see that one coming indeed. But i'm sure Levine will create something great in another environment :)

"The new venture will focus on replayable narrative-driven games that will only be released digitally"

To me this sounds like what Telltale Games has been doing so far.

I dont like were the gaming industry is heading... seems to me that in a few years games will be like pop corn a quick run for the buck just to target the tablet/phone/console market..... just play free crapy games that will charge you with small fees for perks and BS...

yeah... I want the early 2000s' triple A developments.. hell, they (the developers of the time) were just churning out awesome game after another on PS2 & PC and just... those were the days.

I have Systems Shock 2 and have played it. It is very good but I think Bioshock is more refined in certain aspects. but if you insist on going back that far infinite is ever farther from what it started out as.

Did you play it in the 90s though? Many of the games from that era just don't age well but doesn't takes away from their historical significance.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So many good people with be without a job now. I hope another developer picks them up. 

Well this got more interesting:

6c31518838.png

It could also explain to an extent why Irrational Games got shut down, but we don't know for sure.

I refuse to accept this as real.

Do you think they'll continue Bioshock? I find it quite nice to have 3 titles and end it.

IKR but this came directly from their site :(

Update posted on Engadget's article about the issue looks to be positive if they stay true to their statement:

Though BioShock 2 was developed by another Take-Two studio (2K Marin), both the original BioShock and BioShock Infinite were crafted in-house at Irrational Games; it's unclear if the franchise will continue, but we've reached out to Take-Two for comment.

Update: Take-Two told us, "At this point 2K and Take-Two are directing all inquiries to the Irrational Blog for details on today's announcement."

Update 2: More from Take-Two just came in, somewhat confirming the continuation of the BioShock franchise: "BioShock is one of our most beloved and critically acclaimed franchises, and we are indebted to Ken and the talented team at Irrational Games for their contributions to the series with BioShock and BioShock Infinite; the latter being one of the most decorated games of 2013. The BioShockuniverse remains a rich creative canvas for many untold stories, and we look forward to exploring the next BioShock experience."

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Infinite was a massive bore, no where close to the top for 2013, a year that also saw the release of The Last of Us, New Tomb Raider, Far cry Blood Dragon, and GTA V.

All the while, maybe we'll see something interesting out of him in the future. My bet is we'll see another bioshock that doesn't really fit in 4, and maybe we'll get some kind of avoid even numbered bioshock games rule going.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Maybe I'm just weird but I thought Bioshock sucked.

I agree, it's super-linear, full of pastiche, visual posturing and fan service - personally I was bored to tears with both the first game and Infinite, and didn't even try #2.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

No one got my reference :(

Did you play it in the 90s though? Many of the games from that era just don't age well but doesn't takes away from their historical significance.

nope got my own first PC in '02. Im not saying it was bad just idk some things not as refined I mean they carried stuff over and had a bit of time. im not saying the games bad by any means. Also Bioshock isnt nearly as old and I think a correlation can be seen easier.

Maybe I'm just weird but I thought Bioshock sucked.

I agree, it's super-linear, full of pastiche, visual posturing and fan service - personally I was bored to tears with both the first game and Infinite, and didn't even try #2.

I guess the game cant be for everyone. @That Norwegian Guy I wouldnt mind if you explained that further in a bit more detail.

You could say that they shutdown for an "irrational" reason.

You could say that they shutdown for an "irrational" reason.

that joke was already made.

To all of you commenting on Infinite being so great, have you played the original? In my opinion and many others that I have seen its just hands down a better game. I have now played it 3 times since it came out twice right away on release on the 360, then a year or so after release on PC after the kinks had been worked out, and the I replayed it when I got it free in the preorder on steam for infinite. It still holds up and you can really see what they did in Infinite to make it appeal more toward the mainstream audience.

Its was only two truly. Irrational had no hand in Bioshock 2. Kevin refused to do a sequel (which the correct choice in my opinion) and was later glad he had no hand in it.

yeah bioshock 2 was unnessary I personally still liked it. Infinite felt like it had been too heavily infliuieneced by call of duty

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I refuse to accept this as real.

Levine has been talking about it on twitter for the past few days.  :(