What should I do with my Server?

Hello Guys,

I have a HP ProLiant DL 360 Gen 7 Server and I need cool and useful ideas for it.

Specs:

2x Intel Xeon X5690 6x3.47GHz

56GB RAM

AMD FirePro W7100 8GB

3x 500GB SSD RAID 5

2x 750W PSU

Please help me, I dont want to waste all that power...

Minecraft server

jk I dunno

Also how do you have a server and just don't know what to do with it?

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Go here: https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted

1. Pick a project

2. Install it

3. Mess it up

4. Fix it/reinstall

5. If you finally succeed, go back to step 1.

In addition - learn Linux command line, networking, virtualization (KVM for example), Docker, storage etc. Whatever floats your boat. 

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Folding@home, if possible?

It'd really help contribute to fighting diseases and cyance science in general.

If you're interested, please check out these threads:

Spoiler

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

26 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Minecraft server

jk I dunno

Also how do you have a server and just don't know what to do with it?

Well I got it from work, upgraded it a lot (New Board, CPUs, SSDs and GPU).

Now I am looking for some cool project  ideas which are really useful for me.

Minecraft is not really my thing, it is good but I didnt  play it for some years.

Maybe I willl setup one, but that is not enough for my Server.

36 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Folding@home, if possible?

It'd really help contribute to fighting diseases and cyance science in general.

If you're interested, please check out these threads:

Reveal hidden contents

Well it is currently in use as a gaming machine.

I will buy a new gaming PC soon.

To be honest this might be a good thing but I invested a couple hundered euros and I dont want to use my power for this.

I am an IT apprentice, so I dont have too much money to give away.

2 minutes ago, Guenther_Lauch said:

Well it is currently in use as a gaming machine.

I will buy a new gaming PC soon.

To be honest this might be a good thing but I invested a couple hundered euros and I dont want to use my power for this.

I am an IT apprentice, so I dont have too much money to give away.

I mean some google searching and you'll probably find a way to make money off your server or sell it?

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

46 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Go here: https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted

1. Pick a project

2. Install it

3. Mess it up

4. Fix it/reinstall

5. If you finally succeed, go back to step 1.

In addition - learn Linux command line, networking, virtualization (KVM for example), Docker, storage etc. Whatever floats your boat. 

Well I will have a closer look on this, but I cant find anything useful for me. Well if I have a virtualized environment what should I do with it? Thats the thing...

I have a HP Workstation with ESXi on it. It runs my friends Teamspeak Server + other stuff and a Veeam Backup & Replication Server.

2 minutes ago, Guenther_Lauch said:

I dont want to use my power for this

I know its your machine but if you don't end up with any ideas would you reconsider helping Folding@home, 

you have a decent amount of computational power that could be very helpful to a good cause 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

1 minute ago, Gundar said:

I mean some google searching and you'll probably find a way to make money off your server or sell it?

Well I thought of selling it, but I wanted to build my own mini server rack.

I dont want to earn money with it because of tax, legal reasons and only 50k internet.

2 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Well if you don't want to make money from it, and you don't want to use your power for FaH, you could always bash it with a hammer.

Befor that I'd sell it LOL. There must be something interesting and useful out there.

Just now, Guenther_Lauch said:

Befor that I'd sell it LOL. There must be something interesting and useful out there.

For a media Server it has to less capacity, Email is not necessary, Cloud is on my NAS, Web Server is an idea, but I need more...

2 hours ago, Guenther_Lauch said:

Well I will have a closer look on this, but I cant find anything useful for me. Well if I have a virtualized environment what should I do with it? Thats the thing...

I have a HP Workstation with ESXi on it. It runs my friends Teamspeak Server + other stuff and a Veeam Backup & Replication Server.

There are a tons of applications that you can run, either for running it permanently/for long term/for actual use, or just set it up to learn how the tool works, how the setup works, what the internal working is like. You can check out reddit /r/homelab, if it is of any help.

Really that's the best we can help you with. You need to determine what you like and want to do. The link I gave previously and the one below are the best to help you really.

https://project-awesome.org/n1trux/awesome-sysadmin

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

5 hours ago, Guenther_Lauch said:

Hello Guys,

I have a HP ProLiant DL 360 Gen 7 Server and I need cool and useful ideas for it.

Specs:

2x Intel Xeon X5690 6x3.47GHz

56GB RAM

AMD FirePro W7100 8GB

3x 500GB SSD RAID 5

2x 750W PSU

Please help me, I dont want to waste all that power...

You don't seem like a person with alot of technical interest if you have a server but are asking for help to know what to do with it..

It's just as simple as "My interests are... How can i use this server for my interests = solution"..

Asking in a forum where people just spit out the things they would have done or get "pissed off" because you don't wanna donate the resources to FaH (that is repeated here serval times) then you know it's not the place to ask..

Also for you who keep taking up FaH.. He is not interested.. Accept it.