Is ebay a good source for tech deals?

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a new rig for cad design, gaming, etc. I was looking at a 3700x and 1080 on ebay, both at ~ $100 discounts (Canadian) and both with 40 - 50 product ratings. I'm a little more concerned about potential mining on the graphics card, but would these be safe options in general? How good is E bay's buyer protection guarantee? 

Also, I'm looking to sell my old PC and a monitor, is eBay a good way to do it, especially with all the quarantine? Is there any other buy and sell apps / sites in Alberta you would recommend? 

Also my PC is styled after linus's OG xbox build. how much would the awkward form factor hurt the amount i can sell it for?

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

Facebook Marketplace will get you better deals if you're willing to take the risk of no buyer protection.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT sell on ebay if you don't plan on doing this somewhat professionally. eBay is a PITA for sellers, randomly taking and holding your money, and siding with the buyer even if they're clearly wrong. I'd use Facebook Marketplace/Craigslist/Kijiji instead.

I don't think the discounts are worth it, because you don't really get a warranty.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Facebook Marketplace will get you better deals if you're willing to take the risk of no buyer protection.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT sell on ebay if you don't plan on doing this somewhat professionally. eBay is a PITA for sellers, randomly taking and holding your money, and siding with the buyer even if they're clearly wrong. I'd use Facebook Marketplace/Craigslist/Kijiji instead.

I don't think the discounts are worth it, because you don't really get a warranty.

thanks. Im currently debating between a used 1080 for 390 CAD shipped or a new 5700 for 440 CAD. Would the 5700 be better because of the warranty and (hopefully) longevity? or would the better performance and lower cost of the 1080 be better? My parents are kind of controlling with money spending so im trying to keep it under what i can sell my current rig + a monitor for. 

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

14 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

21 minutes ago, PeterFile said:

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a new rig for cad design, gaming, etc. I was looking at a 3700x and 1080 on ebay, both at ~ $100 discounts (Canadian) and both with 40 - 50 product ratings. I'm a little more concerned about potential mining on the graphics card, but would these be safe options in general? How good is E bay's buyer protection guarantee? 

Also, I'm looking to sell my old PC and a monitor, is eBay a good way to do it, especially with all the quarantine? Is there any other buy and sell apps / sites in Alberta you would recommend? 

Also my PC is styled after linus's OG xbox build. how much would the awkward form factor hurt the amount i can sell it for?

From my experience, I would recommend using PayPal when buying items on eBay, since you are less likely to get scammed out of your hard earned money and will have PayPal work with you to resolve the issue along with eBay if needed. Never have been a seller on eBay, so I can't comment if it would be good for selling your old computer hardware or not. Although in the past, many sellers have posted some item, then a few moments after I buy it, the sale will be retracted or you could get a card that is illegitimate (different model than promised). If you want most guaranteed longevity, then go with a new card.

What CAD software are you planning to run on your system?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

I don't necessarily agree here, having more than my fair share of buyers who tried to scam me out of a sale. Assuming you have some proof documenting that the product works as described before shipping it out, they often will back down from refund requests. While a persistent scammer will abuse the purchase protection, this has only happened once of the dozens of items I've sold. 

True, local markets are far superior for sellers, and if you're selling a legitimate product, it's what I recommend.

1 hour ago, PeterFile said:

thanks. Im currently debating between a used 1080 for 390 CAD shipped or a new 5700 for 440 CAD. Would the 5700 be better because of the warranty and (hopefully) longevity? or would the better performance and lower cost of the 1080 be better? My parents are kind of controlling with money spending so im trying to keep it under what i can sell my current rig + a monitor for. 

The difference of only $50 CAD, up to you. The performance difference swings slightly to the 1080's favor (in gaming, but some workloads may be quite the opposite), but like you mentioned, warranty support is at least somewhat valuable. I personally don't min used hardware, but that depends on the value of customer support to yourself.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

What CAD software are you planning to run on your system?

Blender and fusion 360, but in as im hoping to study engineering in uni a year or so from now I might end up using more industrial solutions.

PC: 

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

DAILY TECH:

There are certain risks with eBay as with all platforms but if you do things right and by the book there's no reason to universally steer away from eBay. I've sold many items on eBay and while I've had a few hiccups and annoying buyers I've never had a truly bad experience and never been successfully scammed. Unless it's something I don't want to ship (i.e. big or heavy) I always list on eBay and typically sell faster and for a higher price than if I were to try local only.

@OP if you're interested in using eBay to either buy or sell, read some of the numerous online guides about how to effectively use eBay and get a great deal, there is some technique to it

I've done a lot of buying and a little selling on eBay over the last 21 years I've been on there, here are a few things I've learned about both:

• Always sell older items with the disclaimer that it's used and no warranty is offered, if not you will get burned by unscrupulous buyers, I speak from personal experience unfortunately
  • Always make sure that you're only selling to a country or countries you want to deal with fees and taxes with, being in the United States I only offer items for sale to US residents for this reason
  • Make 100% sure the items you're selling can be sold legitimately. Software and/or licenses can be tricky in some places, make sure eBay won't pull your ad in your region for this
  • When buying, read the fine print extensively, because the few condition levels on eBay are often up to interpretation by buyers, some see a laptop with a dead screen as simply used, and not broken/for parts
  • Always be aware of the payment methods you will take when you sell things, and make sure you are good with the payment methods allowed on auctions you're buying. This isn't a huge deal, most sellers offer even credit card processing without a Paypal account, but there are occasionally some that want a money order or personal check. Out of principal I never send personal checks to random people, too easy to steal account and routing numbers
  • eBay can manage outgoing shipments well, and at least in the US there's typically a discount for originating shipments through eBay, so use that especially on cheaper items with high shipping as it will help your profit

I could list dozens of other little things, but eBay really is a good platform if you're aware of the few but sometimes significant pitfalls of the system. I've had a ton of good luck buying and selling computer parts on eBay, in fact it's been my go-to place for low buck builds for friends and family members that are fine with a few generations old tech; Some of the deals are outstanding if you have the patience to watch auctions consistently.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Spent 15 years selling on ebay, never had a problem with buyers or having money sent through to me directly from paypal, that said I do have a seller account and a very high seller rating. 

ebay is only really good for selling stuff dirt cheap, otherwise listing can sit there for months. Tech deals anything 'vintage' is not really worth it usually high prices and little buyers. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Its rare to get insane deals on ebay but not impossible. However, you're much better off looking at your local classified ads.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:57 PM, Belac F said:

Depends on the deal, I’ve sold parts and bought from eBay. Got a 6600K for like £60 off when it was current gen which was great cosnit just didn’t come with the box and I’ve sold a RX580 during the mining craze and a Vega 56 more recently and both were fine along with a couple of coolers.

Also ex mining cards are fine to buy, remember they’re nearly always undervolted for power efficiency because you’re not actually using much GPU resources.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

The CPU would be fine since you still have a warranty, but I wouldn't spend a ton on an out of warranty graphics card. Grab a 1070Ti instead, they're significantly cheaper. 

Alberta uses Kijiji. I wouldn't bother selling a monitor on ebay, way too easy to have something go wrong and there a pain in the ass to ship. FB Marketplace is an option but get ready for low baller city. 

If it's awkward you're better off selling it piece by piece. Unless you find a person who really likes the style, it's going to be a hard sell. 

On 4/3/2020 at 5:04 PM, LienusLateTips said:

You'd get a warranty with the cpu. 

3 hours ago, juandeag2k said:

Its rare to get insane deals on ebay but not impossible. However, you're much better off looking at your local classified ads.

It's not rare at all. Just have to take the time to look. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red