Kids and Smartphone Brands

AYDANN6ix9ine

(Just sharing my thoughts)

So for me, I didn't have a smartphone until 2 months ago (I'm in 8th grade so kind of late to the party, I guess), when I picked up a Google Pixel 3a for $249. That was a good phone but I realized that maybe it would be good to get a more powerful phone for better long-term usability, so I did. I got added to my family AT&T plan and got a $600 discount on a Pixel 4 XL as a result. Now although this phone is terrible for $900, it is great for $300. All the features it includes and the Pure Google Experience I expect will do me well for 3 years.

But that isn't my topic of discussion. I am just talking about kids and smartphone brands. The only brands I hear in any smartphone discussions at school are "Apple or Samsung?" There are zero mentions of brands like Google, Huawei, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Motorola, LG, or any other Android phone brand. We were at a whole friend meet-up and my friends wanted to try out my cousin's OnePlus 7 Pro. They just said "Cool, I have never tried a Samsung before." It's sorta confusing considering how big brands that I listed, such as Huawei and Xiaomi, are actually very prevalent and successful. Why do you think that many young kids and teenagers are ignorant to other brands outside of the iPhones and the Galaxies?

Apple and Samsung are the "premium" phones to have. Kids are easily swayed by those companies and since they are the 2 biggest its easy to see why. It's also not just kids non-tech people do the same thing. "oh i love your Apple''.

Marketing. That's why. 

So many people I talk to think Samsung is "the brand that runs all the android phones" because they're the most popular. 

I'm not kidding. 

I just roll my eyes and move on. If someone is genuinely curious, I'll explain, but I'm not going to mansplain the difference between Samsung and the hundreds of other Android based brands. Not worth it. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

3 minutes ago, ManOverboard1224 said:

Apple and Samsung are the "premium" phones to have. Kids are easily swayed by those companies and since they are the 2 biggest its easy to see why. It's also not just kids non-tech people do the same thing. "oh i love your Apple''.

You don't even know how often i get the "Is that an iPhone or a Samsung?"

".... it's actually a OnePlus ...."

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

4 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

You don't even know how often i get the "Is that an iPhone or a Samsung?"

".... it's actually a OnePlus ...."

? I have a note 9 and pay with Samsung pay and every one is always like "oh your using Apple pay?" It's so much less work to just accept it then to stop and explain. I feel your pain.

Its usually just the general phones they have. I'm in the same grade as you. I have an apple and I only see kids with a Samsung and Apple. I'm guessing its based on the "trends". Its very rare for me to see a kid with a different phone. I even saw a kid with a Razer phone, RGB and everything.

Samsung and Apple spend a lot of money on marketing. Oneplus and the like does very little marketing towards the casual buyer.

It also doesnt halp that when you go in most retailer stores i dont think any of them carry oneplus (atleast not in the states. Cant speak for other areas).

My kids have an LG and a Motorolla. At 9 and 15 they dont care about brands as much as being able to use the phones tbh.

But that really depends on the kid. My kids dont care about brands when it comes to anything. They see something they like and thats what they want. Most the time i doubt they could tell you the brand name.

its because everyone wants an iphone 11 so they look cool. samsung is for the techy kids that know a little more about phones, then the other brands are for the super smart kids that know a lot about tech.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Just now, LamoidZombieDog said:

its because everyone wants an iphone 11 so they look cool. samsung is for the techy kids that know a little more about phones, then the other brands are for the super smart kids that know a lot about tech.

also if a parent is buying a phone, they normally buy something like an iphone 6s if they have 100$ or some crappy LG Motorola e.t.c if they can only spend 50

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

Well, here in Balkan, most used brands are Samsung and Huawei, then far away 3rd is iPhone. I'm rarity with my Xiaomi. Reason for that is simple. People who doesn't follow phones or tech in general in most cases only hear about most used/popular ones and just get 1 for themselves. Other reason is price range, you can get Samsung for every single price range, Huawei for mid/higher end have great phones. Older iPhones are also great,  because they are still supported my Apple. Parents usually don't spend a lot of money for their kids phones, at least not in my experience, so these 3 brands are ideal, known and reliable and not too pricy.

Mm, in Malaysia I believe the smartphone market is mainly split (unequally) between Samsung, Apple, Oppo, Vivo, and Huawei. Enjoy this chart detailing Malaysia's mobile market share (Mar 2019 to Feb 2019), but please note I haven't looked into the data site's sampling methodology or reliability:

Spoiler

StatCounter.thumb.png.930449f9038fe65ec50f4fb60bb40b1b.png

Interesting trend to note: Huawei's rise in market share/popularity from Aug 2019 onwards. At the very least, this lines up with what I've witnessed in Malaysia.

Back on topic: Not sure how kids nowadays feel about their smartphones, but as a kid, I never felt comfortable using Apple's iOS and I've only only owned Samsungs or Nokias. Sometimes I dream back to the feature phone days. I used to own one of these:

Spoiler

Nokia-NGage-QD.jpg

Ah... The good old days.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

On 3/12/2020 at 2:51 PM, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

(Just sharing my thoughts)

So for me, I didn't have a smartphone until 2 months ago (I'm in 8th grade so kind of late to the party, I guess), when I picked up a Google Pixel 3a for $249. That was a good phone but I realized that maybe it would be good to get a more powerful phone for better long-term usability, so I did. I got added to my family AT&T plan and got a $600 discount on a Pixel 4 XL as a result. Now although this phone is terrible for $900, it is great for $300. All the features it includes and the Pure Google Experience I expect will do me well for 3 years.

But that isn't my topic of discussion. I am just talking about kids and smartphone brands. The only brands I hear in any smartphone discussions at school are "Apple or Samsung?" There are zero mentions of brands like Google, Huawei, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Motorola, LG, or any other Android phone brand. We were at a whole friend meet-up and my friends wanted to try out my cousin's OnePlus 7 Pro. They just said "Cool, I have never tried a Samsung before." It's sorta confusing considering how big brands that I listed, such as Huawei and Xiaomi, are actually very prevalent and successful. Why do you think that many young kids and teenagers are ignorant to other brands outside of the iPhones and the Galaxies?

A lot of it is simply due to the brands people are exposed to -- you're approaching this from a very North American (maybe European) perspective.

Huawei and Xiaomi have little traction in North America (Huawei is effectively blacklisted).  OnePlus?  It's for enthusiasts -- it has almost no presence in the US, and I can't imagine many 13-year-olds browsing phones at T-Mobile stores.  You might have a better case for LG and Motorola, but that's partly because they don't compete as well in the same high-end space as Apple and Samsung.

Yeah, it's frustrating that some kids will label every Android phone "a Samsung," but I wouldn't expect most people your age to have extensive knowledge of phone brands, let alone enough clout with their parents to get a OnePlus or Xiaomi phone.  Until there's another brand that really captures the public imagination, it'll probably be split between Apple and Samsung for a long time.

The sad part is that this doesn't only apply to kids.