How long do HDD's actually last?

lafrente

In my previous 3 computers, I noticed harddrives getting slower over time. After 4 years they became especially pathetic, only used for files that you'd not need any performance for. Like movies and music. Don't ever think about having any kind of programs on them or you'd start punching the desk.

Have you had an HDD that still worked well after 3-4 years when actively used? 

1 minute ago, lafrente said:

In my previous 3 computers, I noticed harddrives getting slower over time. After 4 years they became especially pathetic, only used for files that you'd not need any performance for. Like movies and music. Don't ever think about having any kind of programs on them or you'd start punching the desk.

Mechanical Hard drives to not get slower over time. SSD's do. TLC is good for about 3 years if you have your swap file on it, otherwise you can probably make it last longer.

What you're experiencing, at least with mechanical drives is drive fragmentation, that coupled with os bloat. This is why back in the late 90's and early 2000's, "reinstall windows" every year was basically a must-do. Even though you could defragment the drive with something like Symantec disk doctor or any number of other tools that were more aggressive and fragmentation, generally the OS, page file, and some programs with pain-in-the-ass copy protection would not be moved, or break if moved.

I had a hdd last 10 years, it still works, but the pc it’s in doesn’t, there’s nothing important on it so I don’t care

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

-

I got an SSD that is 5 years old with around 20.000 hours ON time, with more than 15 terabytes written in total. And I still got the benchmark that I had done from years ago & benchmarked it again today. Literally same speed.

If harddisks defragment and get slower, that does mean they get slower. Yet I doubt that fragmentation is the case, as I low level formatted two of them, reinstalled windows, and they were just as slow. 

Can depend, on use, luck. I have HDD that worked for 2 decades. I had one that died rather quick after warranty. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

depends on luck of the draw...i have 3 ssds that are 7 years old and still work just fine...i have spin drives some over 10 years old still chuggin along. ive had only 2 spin drives fail that i can remember and one was because it got dropped while running (external) and a internal started ticking then died shortly after

On 3/10/2020 at 3:50 AM, lafrente said:

Yet I doubt that fragmentation is the case, as I low level formatted two of them

You can't low-level format modern HDDs. It was a thing back in the 80's, not on modern drives. What you did is just a regular format.

On 3/10/2020 at 3:34 AM, lafrente said:

I've got like 20 such HDDs, some of them are over a decade old.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

22 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You can't low-level format modern HDDs. It was a thing back in the 80's, not on modern drives. What you did is just a regular format.

I've got like 20 such HDDs, some of them are over a decade old.

Yes you can. https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

In my original post, I specifically pointed out the problem, its not "dying" but getting slow to a point that its non usable. None of my HDD's died. I already have one from 2009 and one from 2010. Another one 4,5 years old in painfully slow state, while my 5 year old SSD despite being used more performs like new.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, lafrente said:

ive had some in the past but they are not used much, it all depends on like the use and with technology upgrading and files taking more space it may be the same speed but seem slower to faster systems

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

39 minutes ago, lafrente said:

No, I have no idea why it claims to be doing a low-level format, but it definitely doesn't do that. You could do low-level format back in the days on MFM and RLL - drives, but you can't do it on modern drives. That app you linked to does a regular format, nothing more.

41 minutes ago, lafrente said:

In my original post, I specifically pointed out the problem, its not "dying" but getting slow to a point that its non usable. None of my HDD's died. I already have one from 2009 and one from 2010. Another one 4,5 years old in painfully slow state, while my 5 year old SSD despite being used more performs like new.

Yes, and I replied: all of my drives function like new once emptied. HDDs do not get slower over time. What may happen is that the software using the drives does.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I've had drives that are well over 20 years old that functioned perfectly fine and most of the time were actually in better condition then a lot of the newer drives I have. Only reason I got rid of them is cause I managed to damage them by drop when taking apart the machines. I seem to kill way too much hardware that way.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

On 3/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, lafrente said:

I got an SSD that is 5 years old with around 20.000 hours ON time, with more than 15 terabytes written in total. And I still got the benchmark that I had done from years ago & benchmarked it again today. Literally same speed.

If harddisks defragment and get slower, that does mean they get slower. Yet I doubt that fragmentation is the case, as I low level formatted two of them, reinstalled windows, and they were just as slow. 

SSD's have a lot of variables, but the thing that makes SDD's slower is the temperture before anything else. Throw a heatsink on the SSD and the performance stabilizes.

Mechanical hard drives, can physically, not get slower. They have a constant speed. They're not like a tire that wears through the tread. If they are "green" models they might spin down more frequently, but that's it.

The SATA SSD in my system has just short of 30TBW, 8900PoH, 36 degrees and the average block erase count is 92%. But I also don't have the pagefile enabled.

Compare that to:

The mechanical drives in the system:

D 45 degrees, 59083 PoH, 1480 PoC - WD2002FAEX (WD Black 7200RPM, 2TB, 3.5", 2010)

E 35 degrees, 4442 PoH, 17 PoC - WD40NMZW (WD Blue 5400 RPM, 4TB, USB My Passport 2.5", 2019)

F 41 degrees, 1939 PoH, 18720 PoC - WD30EZRX (WD Green, 3TB, USB MyBook, 2011)

G 34 degrees, 13552 PoH, 580 PoC - ST6000DM004 ( Seagate Baracuda Pro 7200RPM, 6TB, 3.5", 2018)

H 35 degrees, 17214 PoH, 597 PoC - WD6002FZWX ( WD Black 7200 RPM, 6TB, 3.5",  2016)

So the two worst performing drives in my desktop, the two USB drives. I'm almost sure the PoH and PoC numbers are reversed for that WD30EZRX. Actually, some generic search for the model number suggests there is actually a bug in the idle timer for this drive. I actually have three of these, one was RMA'd previously, the other two are plugged into a mac and a wii u. 

I can tell you for fact that none of those mechanical drives got any slower with time. H has the games on it. The Seagate replaced another 2TB Segate drive. I've had more issues with external drive chassis than anything else. Which is how any of the 5400rpm drives wound up inside at any point, because I had to scrap the chassis they were in. Of course as soon as you put them inside the PC, they're faster as well since there's no USB overhead.

If the HDD starts developing bad sectors it can become slow / less responsive. 

But that's easy to check for e.g. with CrystalDiskInfo.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2