unraid on raid 5 card

im planing to get a xl60 from 45 drives and putting a custom gaming PC in it but i was wondering if i can put unraid on it using the raid cards that come in it or if i would have to use some random pcie to 15 sata ports also Linus you should make a video on this if its possible 

UnRAID doesn't run off disk, it runs in memory. 

I would not use UnRAID if you're planning to use 60 disks. 

Reason?

- UnRAID read speeds are limited to a single disk

- UnRAID write speeds are limited to a single disk or speed of write cache

- UnRAID is limited to 24 devices in an array. 

- If you were to RAID physical devices into logical devices to fit them all in to your 24 device limit, and running them in an array in UnRAID then you'd have double parity which could cause a major issue. 

This is assuming you aren't going to be creating an array using the ZFS plugin, but then what would be the purpose of using UnRAID if you're using ZFS which means you have to create all your smb configs manually?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

UnRAID doesn't run off disk, it runs in memory. 

I would not use UnRAID if you're planning to use 60 disks. 

Reason?

- UnRAID read speeds are limited to a single disk

From my understanding, that's true for writes. For reads it's limited to a single disk when doing 1 file, but if two computers is reading a file from two different drives, then each one get speed of one disk (if ethernet is fast enough) because parity does not happen with only reads.  Not totally sure tho, correct me if I am wrong.

- UnRAID write speeds are limited to a single disk or speed of write cache

True

- UnRAID is limited to 24 devices in an array. 

No, it's 28 + 2 parity last time I checked, and from my understanding, cache limit drives is on top of that and not instead of but not totally sure.

Drives that is unallocated do not count against that limit, so you can have unallocated drives you use for stuff if you want to.

- If you were to RAID physical devices into logical devices to fit them all in to your 24 device limit, and running them in an array in UnRAID then you'd have double parity which could cause a major issue. 

This is assuming you aren't going to be creating an array using the ZFS plugin, but then what would be the purpose of using UnRAID if you're using ZFS which means you have to create all your smb configs manually?

Not saying you are wrong, just some inaccuracies.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

UnRAID uses it's own RAID implementation that should make a dedicated RAID controller unnecessary and in some instances not recommended.

You would want to look into HBA cards like the LSI-9201-16i. If UnRAID has the disk number limitation as both Jarsky & Mihle mention then you'll probably want to go with something different like ZFS or BTRFS on a different distro of Linux.