Which Air Flow is Best?

GoodGame

I purchased a Cooler Master MC H500P Mesh  for my build since it has good reviews for being one of the best airflow cases.

Since it has the 2x140mm fans at the front, i'll be installing my AIO radiator at the top 2 x 120mm, with a single rear fan 120mm.

Would it be best to let the FRONT and TOP fans pull air IN then let the REAR fan push the air OUT? or FRONT and REAR fans pull air in then let the TOP fans push air OUT?(since hot air rises)

if there are other better solutions i'd be happy to take them on.

I'd set it up to pull in the front, and push out the top and rear

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

top as intake can have some problems, the radiator fans can fight for airflow with the GPU fans. Same thing with the back as intake. Whenever possible, keep airflow as a straight line instead of having fans push opposite directions of one another.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have 4 fans pulling air in from the front, bottom and side panel. And 4 blowing air out, 2 in the top and 2 in the back (pull push  140mm radiator).  It has worked for me, I don't have problems with heat. Perhaps you could do something similar.

Thanks all for the advise, going from the recommendations here and few articles from the net, its best to go neutral

or slight negative pressure then Intake from the front then letting TOP & REAR push out. 

Big beefy high CFM 140mm or bigger fans hauling air in from the front.

Small, quiet AF fans guiding air out the back and top, if a radiator is involved switch AF to SP fans for less CFM but higher pressure.

Always calculate CFM coming in and ensure extraction is lower, this ensures positive pressure.

Adjust this for the fan spaces available in your case.

I recommend Noctua Redux fans as you can easily pick the correct RPM, CFM and Static Pressure/Airflow for your needs form their range while keeping on a budget.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 hours ago, GoodGame said:

Thanks all for the advise, going from the recommendations here and few articles from the net, its best to go neutral

or slight negative pressure then Intake from the front then letting TOP & REAR push out. 

There are arguments for a bare tiny whisper of positive but it’s very close to neutral.  Big positive not so much.  Lots of filter cleaning.  It’s about airspeed and filters.  Airspeed picks up dust.  Filters filter dust but don’t do it perfectly and need to be cleaned.

Positive pressure will keep case seems from sucking in dust but you don’t need much at all to do that.   High positive pressure makes more airspeed which makes for more total dust. Negative pressure tends to make lower outside the case airspeed.  The only problem with negative pressure is it can pull in stuff through unfiltered sections like case seams.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

As you first said all intake and only back exhaust is the best.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

59 minutes ago, Constantin said:

As you first said all intake and only back exhaust is the best.

I am not in agreement with this one. At least for dust. It’s a narrow thing though.  Opinions are not in general agreement.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I am not in agreement with this one. At least for dust. It’s a narrow thing though.  Opinions are not in general agreement.

You can buy extra dust fan filters, they are quite cheap and doing a good jobe.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

17 minutes ago, Constantin said:

You can buy extra dust fan filters, they are quite cheap and doing a good jobe.

Gotta clean em though and the job isn’t perfect. The super fine stuff still gets through.  It’s narrow though.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Gotta clean em though and the job isn’t perfect. The super fine stuff still gets through.  It’s narrow though.

dust is a fact! it's part of keeping clean your PC

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

dust is a fact! it's part of keeping clean your PC

Well I’d say it’s small particles of various things rather than a fact. A narrow distinction perhaps.  Some places are dustier than others and different requirements become differently important

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well I’d say it’s small particles of various things rather than a fact. A narrow distinction perhaps.  Some places are dustier than others and different requirements become differently important

Sure, but at the end of the day either after one month or 5 months you will deal with it

4 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Sure, but at the end of the day either after one month or 5 months you will deal with it

Depends on the user.  I knew for a fact that I would be lucky if I cleaned my case out once every two years so I went a bit over the top with dust protection.  Didn’t clean it till it started acting up.  Took 5 years.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on the user.  I knew for a fact that I would be lucky if I cleaned my case out once every two years so I went a bit over the top with dust protection.  Didn’t clean it till it started acting up.  Took 5 years.

LOL where is the PC in a sealed lab?

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

LOL where is the PC in a sealed lab?

An exceptionally dirty living room that was rarely cleaned and inhabited by cats.  I went a bit overboard as I said.  Used aquarium filter for  fan filtering, did whisper positive air pressure, kept it off the floor.