Which CMOS battery should I get for my maximus viii hero?

2 minutes ago, zaki owais said:

Title 

Probably CR2025 or CR2032. Easiest to just take out the battery and check what it uses.

I assume you have good reason to change the battery?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2032 like all other boards.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, zaki owais said:

Which CMOS battery should I get for my maximus viii hero?

Generally motherboards use CR2032 or CR2025 batteries but could be different. You can identify the type of battery by looking at the model number on the old battery. 

According to Google, the battery used by the Maximus VIII hero is a CR2032, however I would advise you to double check.

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

14 minutes ago, minibois said:

Probably CR2025 or CR2032. Easiest to just take out the battery and check what it uses.

I assume you have good reason to change the battery?

Yes , its not working (maybe). Anything (XMP) I change in the BIOS isn't saved.

6 minutes ago, zaki owais said:

Are you sure it's not just the motherboard resetting because the memory is not stable? Often you have to save the setting and let it reboot a couple times.

If I were you, I would just 'test out' if your BIOS is remembering settings. Try changing some setting that doesn't influence if the computer will boot or not. I.e. change the boot order, save and exit and see if it remembers that.

After confirming your BIOS remembers changes, make sure your memory is in slots 2 and 4 and try to see if you have another XMP setting to choose. Or just try setting the memory speed, voltage and timings manually.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If the battery is the issue, you would have other problems like the time not being saved. You would probably get a warning message when you start the pc anyway.

A quick test:

Set the time correctly, turn off the pc, unplug pc from mains, wait a minute, plug back in, power on. If the time is still correct, the battery is fine and not the issue.

1 hour ago, zaki owais said:

I had a similar issue with XMP and once i manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.35V instead of leaving it on auto it worked fine.

check that the reset cmos jumper isn't shorted?  cmos battery issues usually don't show up before 8-10 years after mainboard is manufactured, unless it is a known issue when a mainboard pulls more. 

Servers usually have shorter lifespan. 

1 hour ago, zaki owais said:

Check the date and time, if both are reset, then it is a faulty CMOS battery. If it is only XMP settings and not the date and time, it's because the system fails to post due to the RAM/CPU not being able to run at the higher clock, but then it should say "The system has POSTed in safe mode" and should ask you to enter setup upon turning on.

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

• 1 year later...

Hi. Did OP find a solution? I am running to the same issue you described where PC boots up, then turns off, then turns on, into bios. Also getting date and times getting forgotten within Windows 10. Happening when in XMP and with default BIOS settings.

I just attempted to replace the batteries, and that didn't fix it.

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 4:48 AM, mariushm said:

If the battery is the issue, you would have other problems like the time not being saved. You would probably get a warning message when you start the pc anyway.

A quick test:

Set the time correctly, turn off the pc, unplug pc from mains, wait a minute, plug back in, power on. If the time is still correct, the battery is fine and not the issue.

Just happening something similar to me. It appears the "American Megatrends" screen every time I start the pc after unpluging. Not in restarts.

I turned off, unplug, wait for a few minutes, plug again, press the reset button in the MB, start... it took like 5 minutes to get to the loggin screen and the time was 12-12-3221.

After that, is just the "American" screen problem, the time is ok. So I'm not sure whats the problem in my case.  What do you think?