Should i get a better cooler?

NewbieGamer69

Hey guys, so i got a pc about a month or two ago, and i downloaded ryzen master to check my temps and i noticed while gaming especially in fortnite the cpu temps sometime reach 80c but i have to say i keep my room very warm as i like it that way. When i keep it normal temp it is around 75c. What i wanted to ask is, is the gammaxx 400 gte cooler a good option? It isnt too expensive and has some rgb, other one i had an eye one was the hyper 212 black rgb but that one is more expensive, is it worth the money or is it just for the style. So do you guys think an aftermarket cooler is worth it for a ryzen 5 3600 ?

will it run more quiet? 

the hyper212 cpu cooler has been around for an extremely long time, it is a tried and true legend in cpu cooling.  It will be money well spent. It is beyond capable. But firstly, your temps as fine as they are, 80c will not harm or lower the life of your cpu at every day usage. However if you want peace of mind and can easily afford to purchase this my vote would be for the hyper 212 as I have used this in the past with great success. 

I personally wouldn't buy neither of those, cuz they are ugly. Would look for Alpenföhn Brocken, Matterhorn - Thermalright True Spirit, Macho or Scythe Mugen, Ninja or Fuma.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

Does it get hotter? Your current temps are safe. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 3/4/2020 at 5:00 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Does it get hotter? Your current temps are safe. 

It sometimes edges at 84-85 but for a split second im using rivatuner, but usually around 77-80 under gaming. 

So ive been eyeing 3 coolers for the past 2 months since i built my PC i have a ryzen 3600 with the stealth cooler and im not happy with the temps reaching 80c and sometimes spiking to 85c under heavy cutscenes and places where it needs to be used a lot. Im just a gamer i dont use any other programms for productivity. 
so the 2 coolers i really have my eye on are: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML120L (RGB1.0)

and

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

I was just wondering if anyone who had these can vouch for them, if they are between 1-2 degrees difference i want to get one thats silent, which one is less noisy. I can cop the masterliquid for 55usd and the hyper 212 for 45usd. Another one that ive considered is the gammax 400 GTE v2 rgb but theres almost no reviews on this one so im skeptical but its a lot cheaper at 29usd.

if they all perform the same withing 1-2 degrees difference should i get the cheaper gte?? I want it to be quiet too. Help
the prices i mentioned are the prices from my local stores and thats where i want to buy them not online.

About cooling it all depends where you live.

Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo Cooler wolud be a good buy almost anywhere...

gammax 400 GTE v2 

is good also though.

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

About cooling it all depends where you live.

Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo Cooler wolud be a good buy almost anywhere...

is good also though.

Thanks i was looking for a quiet cooler but also a good one that performs, and im only limited to the cooler that are in my local shops.

4 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

A 120 mm liquid cooler will not perform significantly better (or at all) compared to a mid-tier air cooler like the 212. It will be louder due to having a pump, and has more parts (a pump) that can fail when compared to an air cooler. In your case, do not go for the liquid cooler.

As for which air cooler, I don't have a strong opinion, but think the CM H212 would be better just due to it's reputation in my head.

30 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

So ive been eyeing 3 coolers for the past 2 months since i built my PC i have a ryzen 3600 with the stealth cooler and im not happy with the temps reaching 80c and sometimes spiking to 85c under heavy cutscenes and places where it needs to be used a lot. Im just a gamer i dont use any other programms for productivity. 
so the 2 coolers i really have my eye on are: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML120L (RGB1.0)

and

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

I was just wondering if anyone who had these can vouch for them, if they are between 1-2 degrees difference i want to get one thats silent, which one is less noisy. I can cop the masterliquid for 55usd and the hyper 212 for 45usd. Another one that ive considered is the gammax 400 GTE v2 rgb but theres almost no reviews on this one so im skeptical but its a lot cheaper at 29usd.

if they all perform the same withing 1-2 degrees difference should i get the cheaper gte?? I want it to be quiet too. Help
the prices i mentioned are the prices from my local stores and thats where i want to buy them not online.

I’ve got the original hyper212 which is the same  cooler though the fan is different (and improved) in the black edition.

the hyper 212 is not as powerful as a 2 fan AIO.  To get that kind of power in air cooling one of the big 6 pipe multi fan air coolers is necessary.

The hyper 212 is more than adequate for your needs though.  It was designed long ago to cool processors much hotter than yours.  Because it is old it has adaptors and the adaptors tend to be a bit finicky to use.  They work though.  the hyper212 will also be more long lasting, quieter under lower load, and more reliable than an AIO because it has no moving parts.

One thing to look out for is am4 is rectangular and the hyper212 was designed originally for a square mount.  This means depending on how they did the adaptor bracket it may point in only 2 directions instead of 4, which means it is possible you may be stuck with a cooler that points only up. IF this is the case the type of fan bearing the hyper212 black uses becomes important.  The old hyper212 used a sleeve bearing fan, which is a fan type that does NOT do well mounted in that configuration.  My memory is that the hyper212 black solves this problem.  I don’t have the particulars though.  Both are worth looking up.  My suspicion is the hyper212 will do more than you need, and cost less even if you wind up replacing the fan with something with a modified rifle bearing.  If you do decide you need more power the “big air” air coolers will provide the same advantages as the hyper 212 while having just as much power as the AIO you mentioned.   They are larger and have case and memory height requirements though.  They also don’t like to be moved much because the weight of the big cooler can stress the motherboard.  Makes them more fragile in transfer situations.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You can probably get a lot better air coolers like one from Thermalright, Scythe or Alpenföhn if you willing to ditch the overhyped coolermaster coolers.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition, and it works great. I've never had any overheating issues with my CPU at all, and it's really quiet. I would highly recommend it.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

-= Topics Merged =-

Multiple posts of the same topic are not allowed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

42 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

gammax 400 GTE v2 rgb

Seems like normal temps. If you want lower noise, that's a good reason to get a better cooler. Where are you shopping / located? Why do you prefer buying locally as opposed to online?

The Gammaxx 400 and Gammaxx GTE V2 are different coolers. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

15 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Seems like normal temps. If you want lower noise, that's a good reason to get a better cooler. Where are you shopping / located? Why do you prefer buying locally as opposed to online?

The Gammaxx 400 and Gammaxx GTE V2 are different coolers. 

Im in macedonia europe so online shopping is a no go for me as no warranty  and there will be huge shipping fees for me. Plus the difference will be minimal in price i think, when i pay for the shipping fee it will be the same price, so i prefer to shop from here localy. I know they are different but the gte v2 has rgb and looks sleeker and has a black top which is nice, but im guessing cooling is the same of not better.

28 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition, and it works great. I've never had any overheating issues with my CPU at all, and it's really quiet. I would highly recommend it.

What temps do you get under load or while gaming and what processor do you have?

Just now, NewbieGamer69 said:

Im in macedonia europe so online shopping is a no go for me as no warranty  and there will be huge shipping fees for me. Plus the difference will be minimal in price i think, when i pay for the shipping fee it will be the same price, so i prefer to shop from here localy.

Do the local shops have any stores you can link us to? 

The Gammaxx GTE performs slightly worse than the Hyper 212 RGB BE but isn't noisy and would be an upgrade over the stock Wraith Stealth. 

33 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve got the original hyper212 which is the same  cooler though the fan is different (and improved) in the black edition.

the hyper 212 is not as powerful as a 2 fan AIO.  To get that kind of power in air cooling one of the big 6 pipe multi fan air coolers is necessary.

The hyper 212 is more than adequate for your needs though.  It was designed long ago to cool processors much hotter than yours.  Because it is old it has adaptors and the adaptors tend to be a bit finicky to use.  They work though.  the hyper212 will also be more long lasting, quieter under lower load, and more reliable than an AIO because it has no moving parts.

One thing to look out for is am4 is rectangular and the hyper212 was designed originally for a square mount.  This means depending on how they did the adaptor bracket it may point in only 2 directions instead of 4, which means it is possible you may be stuck with a cooler that points only up. IF this is the case the type of fan bearing the hyper212 black uses becomes important.  The old hyper212 used a sleeve bearing fan, which is a fan type that does NOT do well mounted in that configuration.  My memory is that the hyper212 black solves this problem.  I don’t have the particulars though.  Both are worth looking up.  My suspicion is the hyper212 will do more than you need, and cost less even if you wind up replacing the fan with something with a modified rifle bearing.  If you do decide you need more power the “big air” air coolers will provide the same advantages as the hyper 212 while having just as much power as the AIO you mentioned.   They are larger and have case and memory height requirements though.  They also don’t like to be moved much because the weight of the big cooler can stress the motherboard.  Makes them more fragile in transfer situations.  

Wow i appreciate the in dept reply, i saw on a youtube guide the 212 rgb black edition has the fan blow on the back on a ryzen build, which is how my case is possitioned. I think you just convinced me to get that one over the gte v2 as it has a better reputation and looks much nicer with the black paint in my opinion. Thank you 

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Do the local shops have any stores you can link us to? 

The Gammaxx GTE performs slightly worse than the Hyper 212 RGB BE but isn't noisy and would be an upgrade over the stock Wraith Stealth. 

http://setec.mk/index.php?route=product/category&path=10019_10020_10027

https://m.anhoch.com/category/403/ventilatori-i-ladilnici

here you got these 2, and is the paste given by the cooler itself good enough or should i buy one?

40 minutes ago, For Science! said:

A 120 mm liquid cooler will not perform significantly better (or at all) compared to a mid-tier air cooler like the 212. It will be louder due to having a pump, and has more parts (a pump) that can fail when compared to an air cooler. In your case, do not go for the liquid cooler.

As for which air cooler, I don't have a strong opinion, but think the CM H212 would be better just due to it's reputation in my head.

Thanks for that, i appreciate it, most likely will get the 212 black edition then, has better mounting system aswell.

1 minute ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

http://setec.mk/index.php?route=product/category&path=10019_10020_10027

https://m.anhoch.com/category/403/ventilatori-i-ladilnici

here you got these 2, and is the paste given by the cooler itself good enough or should i buy one?

The included paste is fine. 

10 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

the 212 rgb black edition has the fan blow on the back on a ryzen build

Most tower coolers support that including the Gammaxx GTE / V2  which is probably the better buy due to the lower price. The Hyper 212 RGB BE performs a bit better but has to be noisier to do it. 

A 212 is basically a stock cooler, maybe slightly better. It’s performance is not legendary, it is abysmal at best. If you want one bad enough you can have the one in my closet for free, you cover shipping.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14