$350 Audiophile USB Type B cable / $1000 Ethernet Cable

antipolar

So I found the Curious USB cables first on a well known audiophile forum. I saw the $350 price tag they wanted for a simple USB Type A -> USB Type B cable. I thought it must've been a troll post at first. Then I googled their website, and found out people actually somehow believe that a USB Cable is somehow going to "affect the sound" when running to a dac. This is just as bad as those HDMI cables Linus reviewed a while back. I love music and I believe there are plenty of ways to affect how music sounds. But the existence of these cables are causing me to lose faith in the audiophile community. What's even worse is well known audiophile sites actually buy into these claims.

Just when I thought that was the worst the audiophile community could throw at me, I found an "audiophile" class ethernet cable from JCAT which retails for $1000. I can't believe how gullible the audiophile community is. I'm all for spending a bit of cash for a better sound (on the analog side of the DAC), but this is ridiculous. There's even more products on the JCAT website that just send me into a fury, but I can't even find the words to express my frustration at this point.

this isnt new.

also, "the audiophile community" isnt gullible, there's just a select group of audio snobs that'll to go every extent to make themselves believe they got the absolute best audio setup.

Honestly that side of audiophelia has lost the ability or concept of enjoying the music and they are just too focused on trying to "tell the difference"

Lol, that shit is pure...shit. And why a USB type-B? And why in the world a €1100 ethernet cable???

This is exactly why I don't take some "audiophiles" serious when it comes to shit like that. I'm all for spending cash on very good headphones but that...?

I'm glad I bought the Fiio E10K instead of wasting €1000+ on something I won't notice a difference and am speaking for myself.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

42 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Lol, that shit is pure...shit. And why a USB type-B? And why in the world a €1100 ethernet cable???

This is exactly why I don't take some "audiophiles" serious when it comes to shit like that. I'm all for spending cash on very good headphones but that...?

I'm glad I bought the Fiio E10K instead of wasting €1000+ on something I won't notice a difference and am speaking for myself.

Psshhht!! Even something like a Fiio E10k makes no noticeable difference VS the onboard audio on your PC... 

2 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Most of our DAC's use USB-B, Both my Schiit YGGDRASIL and Chord DAVE do, so does something like a dCs Vivaldi DAC.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

5 hours ago, antipolar said:

So I found the Curious USB cables first on a well known audiophile forum. I saw the $350 price tag they wanted for a simple USB Type A -> USB Type B cable. I thought it must've been a troll post at first. Then I googled their website, and found out people actually somehow believe that a USB Cable is somehow going to "affect the sound" when running to a dac. This is just as bad as those HDMI cables Linus reviewed a while back. I love music and I believe there are plenty of ways to affect how music sounds. But the existence of these cables are causing me to lose faith in the audiophile community. What's even worse is well known audiophile sites actually buy into these claims.

Just when I thought that was the worst the audiophile community could throw at me, I found an "audiophile" class ethernet cable from JCAT which retails for $1000. I can't believe how gullible the audiophile community is. I'm all for spending a bit of cash for a better sound (on the analog side of the DAC), but this is ridiculous. There's even more products on the JCAT website that just send me into a fury, but I can't even find the words to express my frustration at this point.

Welcome to the ultra high-end audiophile world. Remember the people who buy stuff like this also have 25k+ pairs of speaker cable.

Another funny thing some audiophiles do is suspend the hard drives in their PC with rubber to "isolate" them and "make them sound better", Go fucking figure.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm

And, if you think that cable is overpriced, take a look at this absolute unit:

image.png.5e7c8aceb4e6c354da2c21f9bd4cb2d4.png

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

So called audiophiles buy 10000€ unobtanium cables, but 99% of them don’t have any acoustic treatment in their rooms. Professional studios are stupid for spending money on the acoustic treatment instead of 1000€ power cables. 

21 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Most of our DAC's use USB-B, Both my Schiit YGGDRASIL and Chord DAVE do, so does something like a dCs Vivaldi DAC.

So does the cook Chinese dacs tile topping d50s , d10 , the Su 8. Hi early just happy to move away from micro b

22 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Psshhht!! Even something like a Fiio E10k makes no noticeable difference VS the onboard audio on your PC... 

That's correct. I really hear no difference. Sound is just exact the same, I only needed the E10K to provide my headphones with high impedance plenty of juice. This little thing can crank up my most least efficient DT770 all the way to get deaf lol

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

10 hours ago, CTR640 said:

That's correct. I really hear no difference. Sound is just exact the same, I only needed the E10K to provide my headphones with high impedance plenty of juice. This little thing can crank up my most least efficient DT770 all the way to get deaf lol

You are hearing no difference because of the cable that you use. You need at least $1000 USB cable for the better sound. 

(sarcasm)

17 minutes ago, Niksa said:

You are hearing no difference because of the cable that you use. You need at least $1000 USB cable for the better sound. 

(sarcasm)

I don't believe that such cheap cable can make a difference, I mean, I must go premium so started to save up for the €13k gold plated cable.

DAC/AMPs:

20 hours ago, CTR640 said:

I don't believe that such cheap cable can make a difference, I mean, I must go premium so started to save up for the €13k gold plated cable.

sigh If you insist on being premium...

image.png.f953eacc885adbc850f72bdc597b0302.png

52 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

sigh If you insist on being premium...

image.png.f953eacc885adbc850f72bdc597b0302.png

Ugh, eat $#$%^&@, I just received my €13k cable and now I am already a filthy peasant?!?!?!

Dat cable looks nice and attractive but I have no idea what it is but just started saving up... (again)

DAC/AMPs:

On 2/29/2020 at 12:32 PM, ShearMe said:

Just gonna add to the pile... https://www.lessloss.com/dfpc-series-p-213.html?zenid=ori23nm9nbmhm1psbjp4bm0m14

I've seen similar companies at CES. Some big rich dummies out there for sure.

Don't forget that a lot of is so you can brag about how wealthy you are indirectly by how much you spent on things.

There are a few roaming the forums here that have these items or similar.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Don't forget that a lot of is so you can brag about how wealthy you are indirectly by how much you spent on things.

There are a few roaming the forums here that have these items or similar.

Yeah there is. A while back a guy was saying he had a better power cable than me. I was so dumbfounded lol

10 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Yeah there is. A while back a guy was saying he had a better power cable than me. I was so dumbfounded lol

A better power cable for what? Probably for his brain that have died and he needed a better and powerfull cable to revive his braincells lol

DAC/AMPs:

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

A better power cable for what? Probably for his brain that have died and he needed a better and powerfull cable to revive his braincells lol

Why don't you ask Derkoli what power cable he has as well ;)

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

Why don't you ask Derkoli what power cable he has as well ;)

Aha! Mine are for looks. With the way my crap is setup you can see everything, they make no difference. Even MartinLogan says new power cables aren't needed with their 102k flagship speakers. Most of us are sane.

20 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Aha! Mine are for looks. With the way my crap is setup you can see everything, they make no difference. Even MartinLogan says new power cables aren't needed with their 102k flagship speakers. Most of us are sane.

Don't forget about those Japanese guys that paid USD10,000.00 to get a freaking power pole installed directly at their back garden to have the most pure electricity even the old gods haven't heard of. The report that came out was about Morita Takeo, but I do remember reading that the company responsible for that said that there were more people paying them to do the same. 

PS.: I just notice the 58,000.00 cable, whatever currency it is. And here I was feeling sad for spending my pennies ordering a Bifrost 2...

11 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Don't forget about those Japanese guys that paid USD10,000.00 to get a freaking power pole installed directly at their back garden to have the most pure electricity even the old gods haven't heard of. The report that came out was about Morita Takeo, but I do remember reading that the company responsible for that said that there were more people paying them to do the same. 

PS.: I just notice the 58,000.00 cable, whatever currency it is. And here I was feeling sad for spending my pennies ordering a Bifrost 2...

I remember that video. And the guy had a noisy fridge right behind him lol.

And it's 58,000 USD for a god damn 2 metre RCA cable, not XLR or anything fancy like that, just plain old RCA.

I do have a "custom" power setup for all my audio gear, but it's because I need the power, each of my conditioners/distribution unit's draw 32A, and a UK Type G plug is only rated for 13A, hence the need for everything to be different to most, 64A cabling, Neutrik PowerCON plugs etc. But only for high power, not power quality.

What's the point of having high quality power if your power conditioner is supposed to clean up the "bad power" anyway? It's stupid.

19 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Yep, you had it coming and your sadness is deserved, your Bifrost 2 is made for peasants, so suck it up, sucker!

58K on that cable........ What.The.Actual.Steamy.Crap?! I just lost my braincells and now I need Derkoli's cable to revive mine...

Just curious, why 58.000$ and are there seriously people out there actually buying it?

DAC/AMPs: