$350 Audiophile USB Type B cable / $1000 Ethernet Cable

antipolar
1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

Yep, you had it coming and your sadness is deserved, your Bifrost 2 is made for peasants, so suck it up, sucker!

58K on that cable........ What.The.Actual.Steamy.Crap?! I just lost my braincells and now I need Derkoli's cable to revive mine...

Just curious, why?

If there is a market for it, then why the hell wouldn't you sell it? it probably costs max 50 dollars to make, so you're making over 100,000% profit!

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

4 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

If there is a market for it, then why the hell wouldn't you sell it? it probably costs max 50 dollars to make, so you're making over 100,000% profit!

Probably a few dollars to make so more than 100,000% profit!!!!!11!11

But damn, had no idea there are people actually wasting that much on...shit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

12 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I remember that video. And the guy had a noisy fridge right behind him lol.

And it's 58,000 USD for a god damn 2 metre RCA cable, not XLR or anything fancy like that, just plain old RCA.

I do have a "custom" power setup for all my audio gear, but it's because I need the power, each of my conditioners/distribution unit's draw 32A, and a UK Type G plug is only rated for 13A, hence the need for everything to be different to most, 64A cabling, Neutrik PowerCON plugs etc. But only for high power, not power quality.

What's the point of having high quality power if your power conditioner is supposed to clean up the "bad power" anyway? It's stupid.

The guy with the fridge (behind the sofa) is from another video. That's the one with the USD100,000.00 speakers that lived in a dump out of choice, so he could afford the freaking audio stuff. I mean, if you have enough cash, going nuts is more than ok in my opinion, but lacking the common sense (maybe not that common) to prioritize the right stuff in your life is just stupid.

Just now, CTR640 said:

Proably a few dollars to make so more than 100,000% profit!!!!!11!11

Hm well, lets price this out. I'm genuinely interested in how much a cable like this costs to make lol.

Well, an RCA cable has two conductors, so 2 conductors per channel, so 4 conductors overall, and 2 metres. So 8 metres of silver wire.

Quick search results in this price:

image.thumb.png.ca1e0f1cdab99ad1247a81112289d683.png

But obviously the company will get discounts as they probably buy a fair amount of it at once to make other products, so lets assume roughly 350 pounds of silver in this pair of 2M cables

Then, the connectors, which have silver plating. A small ring will run you roughly 90 pounds to have re-plated in silver. So lets assume 180 pounds for cost of plating overall.

Sheathing/shielding, which is as far as I can tell from their god awful website looks to be a form of rubber, or something similar. So maybe 10 pounds for the pair.

Actually making the cable I have included in other costs.

So probably an over-estimate of roughly 540 pounds per pair of 2M RCA cables, most likely closer to £450. Which gives them a profit of roughly £44,600 per 2M of RCA.

Fucking hell.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

The guy with the fridge (behind the sofa) is from another video. That's the one with the USD100,000.00 speakers that lived in a dump out of choice, so he could afford the freaking audio stuff. I mean, if you have enough cash, going nuts is more than ok in my opinion, but lacking the common sense (maybe not that common) to prioritize the right stuff in your life is just stupid.

Atleast I got my house sorted before I went nuts on my HT/Audio setup lol.

3 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Hm well, lets price this out. I'm genuinely interested in how much a cable like this costs to make lol.

Well, an RCA cable has two conductors, so 2 conductors per channel, so 4 conductors overall, and 2 metres. So 8 metres of silver wire.

But obviously the company will get discounts as they probably buy a fair amount of it at once to make other products, so lets assume roughly 350 pounds of silver in this pair of 2M cables

Then, the connectors, which have silver plating. A small ring will run you roughly 90 pounds to have re-plated in silver. So lets assume 180 pounds for cost of plating overall.

Sheathing/shielding, which is as far as I can tell from their god awful website looks to be a form of rubber, or something similar. So maybe 10 pounds for the pair.

So probably an over-estimate of roughly 540 pounds per pair of 2M RCA cables, most likely closer to £450. Which gives them a profit of roughly £44,600 per 2M of RCA.

Fucking hell.

I guess I'm in the wrong business. Time to buy some cable material, DIY books, and use all my knowledge in design to brand the shit out of myself before I start my crusade to brainwash the masses into buying my magic cables. 

3 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I guess I'm in the wrong business. Time to buy some cable material, DIY books, and use all my knowledge in design to brand the shit out of myself before I start my crusade to brainwash the masses into buying my magic cables. 

I honestly think it's quite clever. Saw something stupid to make a tonne of profit off, and they've done it pretty well. Apparently Siltech has been around for almost 4 decades, selling snake oil. Atleast people like Audioquest sell "budget" "HiFi Cables", such as the C-Screen stuff.

Edit: Just found out the owner is an electrical engineer? Wtf this get's even more confusing.

image.thumb.png.b1e54ee289c89e5d6502729c0045bdfe.png

5 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I honestly think it's quite clever. Saw something stupid to make a tonne of profit off, and they've done it pretty well. Apparently Siltech has been around for almost 4 decades, selling snake oil. Atleast people like Audioquest sell "budget" "HiFi Cables", such as the C-Screen stuff.

Edit: Just found out the owner is an electrical engineer? Wtf this get's even more confusing.

image.thumb.png.b1e54ee289c89e5d6502729c0045bdfe.png

It's all about the story. The more personal it looks, the better. Most people are sold to products, experiences, and ideas that represent something, not the product itself. Make no mistake, sweet talking is literally the way to go. No joke.

18 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Atleast I got my house sorted before I went nuts on my HT/Audio setup lol.

Atleast I paid my loansharks before going nuts on buying Fiio E10K lmfao

But holy shit, profit of £44,600 per 2M of RCA.

13 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

That will be easy to brainwash masses. Just glue Apple logo on them and iSheeps will be gladly selling their home including their children, wife, sister, brother, brother from another mother, sister-in-law and even their cats.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, HumdrumPenguin said:

It's all about the story. The more personal it looks, the better. Most people are sold to products, experiences, and ideas that represent something, not the product itself. Make no mistake, sweet talking is literally the way to go. No joke.

And when you add in buzz words and stuff that sounds cool, it just becomes even more effective, Words like "Quantum aligned" and "cryogenically treated" and "aligned crystal structure" come up alot in "audiophile" cables that are snake oil. Most older audiophiles who have the money for this stuff won't be bothered to google about "quantum aligned" and "crygenically treated" properly to understand it, so you can just rob them blind.

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

And when you add in buzz words and stuff that sounds cool, it just becomes even more effective, Words like "Quantum aligned" and "cryogenically treated" and "aligned crystal structure" come up alot in "audiophile" cables that are snake oil. Most older audiophiles who have the money for this stuff won't be bothered to google about "quantum aligned" and "crygenically treated" properly to understand it, so you can just rob them blind.

They think it's next-gen level audio lol. But why quantum aligned? Are you nuts? Bro, do you even sell? Just call it "Quantum tunneling" because cables looks like tunnels. MInd is blown!

DAC/AMPs:

Just now, CTR640 said:

Atleast I paid my loansharks before going nuts on buying Fiio E10K lmfao

But holy shit, profit of £44,600 per 2M of RCA.

Yeah it's silly. My main L/R speakers cost that much, and they make that much on 4 metres of wire with 4 connectors. Must be great to know that they can sell 4 metres of cable and buy a car, or put a down payment on a very big and expensive house.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:52 AM, HumdrumPenguin said:

I remember that guy. I can just say: moron. His room is acoustically sh*t and not even one million dollars worth of speakers and cables would not do anything to improve the sound in his dump. 

If you don’t see any acoustic treatment in so called “high end audiophile’s” listening room, you can tell that they are listening music with their eyes, not ears. 

Some types of "audiophiles" are just..pure shit. Just get what you want/can and like but the most important: common sense.

DAC/AMPs:

7 hours ago, Niksa said:

I remember that guy. I can just say: moron. His room is acoustically sh*t and not even one million dollars worth of speakers and cables would not do anything to improve the sound in his dump. 

If you don’t see any acoustic treatment in so called “high end audiophile’s” listening room, you can tell that they are listening music with their eyes, not ears. 

Agreed, one of the biggest upgrades I've done is suspending my floor and treating the entire room.

I recently managed to solder my own balanced headphone cable for around 20€, not counting the connectors I destroyed in the first try.

But I felt that something was missing in the sound, so I added these cellulose-based, printed acoustic enhancers provided by Draghi-Lagarde to the connectors...

Spoiler

255917295_150-Cable-Kopie.thumb.jpg.660e7ae3146abaa048d1718abbd57c25.jpg

...now it sounds like a 170€ cable. The sound is just hard to describe, but I guess richer is the proper term.

If anyone is interested, I will sell some: 1 for 100€. A set of 3 for 250€ ?

6 hours ago, Arphis said:

I recently managed to solder my own balanced headphone cable for around 20€, not counting the connectors I destroyed in the first try.

But I felt that something was missing in the sound, so I added these cellulose-based, printed acoustic enhancers provided by Draghi-Lagarde to the connectors...

Hide contents

...now it sounds like a 170€ cable. The sound is just hard to describe, but I guess richer is the proper term.

You've just transformed your Sundaras into Susvaras. Marvelous.

6 hours ago, Arphis said:

Reveal hidden contents

Funnily enough, there is an actual product very similar to this, little material wraps for RCA cables. Literally tie them around the connectors of RCA cables lol, I think they were 200 for 4.

And this crap:

Image result for RCA snake oil

And yes, this is a power cable, it's full of Silica, AKA literal fucking sand. Some people are so gullible they'll buy power cables full of sand for 10's of thousands of of dollars.

4 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Funnily enough, there is an actual product very similar to this, little material wraps for RCA cables. Literally tie them around the connectors of RCA cables lol, I think they were 200 for 4.

And this crap:

And yes, this is a power cable, it's full of Silica, AKA literal fucking sand. Some people are so gullible they'll buy power cables full of sand for 10's of thousands of of dollars.

Anaconda.

12 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Anaconda.

Imagine if an actual anaconda crawls in your home and instead of gobbling your children up, it gobbles up your entire audiophile systems.

16 hours ago, Derkoli said:

And this crap:

With all that money they have (or had lmfao) they should've bought common sense and a couple of braincells.

DAC/AMPs:

That DCCA cable looks like something to keep your cat entertained while your gone. It seems great to sharpen the claws or maybe rubbing against.

Otherwise I think the only difference you notice will be when, instead of tripping over it, you just break your foot kicking it.

One of the few "hifi" stores in my general area is one of these voodoo shacks that only sell stuff like this. Half of their products are some disc's to correct acoustic space, they will easily ask several thousands for stuff that looks like left overs from an Ikea shelf.

1 hour ago, Arphis said:

That DCCA cable looks like something to keep your cat entertained while your gone. It seems great to sharpen the claws

Oh yes, it's great to sharpen the claws to rip all of the cables in house apart like Freddy Krueger lol

DAC/AMPs:

Just wanted to say if you have interference when using an external USB sound device, a cable can make a difference, but it has to be an isolated cable.  This is a USB cable that uses opto-isolaters to electrically separate everything.  It can stop both ground loop and some data line noise issues.

However that will not cost more than $20 to implement in any sufficient quality cable. so $350 is a wank.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/2/2020 at 3:55 PM, Derkoli said:

Fucking hell.

Sterling silver isn't pure silver, and is actually less conductive than copper. The type of wire you've linked is intended for jewelry making.

18AWG OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast – a cool process which results in virtually the entire wire being composed of a single crystal grain of perfectly pure silver – not that it matters all that much for audio cabling) costs about $25/ft to DIY'ers in small quantities.

Good insulation on a cable is cotton or something similar: you want to separate the conductors with a material that has a low dielectric constant to reduce parasitic capacitance, one of the few effects of a cable that is reliably measurable and audible at audio frequencies with a cable long enough (many meters). Air is most ideal; it's sometimes found in very high frequency IC's where it actually makes a difference, and you can look up Tara Labs if you want to see how absurd it looks when you apply the concept to audio cables.

3 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

Sterling silver isn't pure silver, and is actually less conductive than copper. The type of wire you've linked is intended for jewelry making.

18AWG OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast – a cool process which results in virtually the entire wire being composed of a single crystal grain of perfectly pure silver – not that it matters all that much for audio cabling) costs about $25/ft to DIY'ers in small quantities.

Good insulation on a cable is cotton or something similar: you want to separate the conductors with a material that has a low dielectric constant to reduce parasitic capacitance, one of the few effects of a cable that is reliably measurable and audible at audio frequencies with a cable long enough (many meters). Air is most ideal; it's sometimes found in very high frequency IC's where it actually makes a difference, and you can look up Tara Labs if you want to see how absurd it looks when you apply the concept to audio cables.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't accurate in any way. More of a ball-park kinda range.