Australia considering introducing new laws to stop internet piracy

silencerbob

And that's part of their faulty logic: if you were to measure how much sells pick up when you drop prices you would see a pretty significant change. This is because many (in fact, almost all) anti-piracy arguments fail to understand something quite fundamental which is correlation does not means causation. The amount of people who pirates something is NOT the amount of people who would have otherwise bought a full product. This has been confirmed time and time again with games that have been released with no DRM at all that still do perfectly fine in sales and there's no significant increase or decrease in their "pirated" copies.

Games maybe. I can easily see the logic in that, but not movies in theaters.

The game you're gonna play it at home either way, so if you can get it for cheap, why not?!

The movies on the other hand, if you and your friends are just lazy, or busy, or just plain don't wanna go all the way to the theater to see a movie, then why bother?! Stay home and pirate.

Figure it would be Australia they take evdryones rights away there, have you seen their cigarette packaging and their insane retarded gun control lmao

Don't confuse limiting corporation greed with limiting people's rights.

Don't like our gun laws? As long as we don't end up like the USA, I don't see a problem. Guns are a solutions to non-existent problems.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Even if the legal option was more convenient, piracy of said legal option would still exist on quite a large scale. As I have already explained that shows like How I Met Your Mother for example are still heavily pirated, despite the fact that new episodes air on normal cable packages within a week of their premier, if not within the same day (this is at least the case where I live: Canada The Death Star)

As for shows that air on exclusive packages like Game of Thrones, the question you should ask yourself is, what benefit would come to HBO if they weren't so exclusive?

Would their shows be less pirated? Somewhat, but they would still be pirated as much as the shows on the normal packages, which is quite a bit.

Would they make more money? HEEEEELL NO! Piracy of their shows might drop a bit if they were in a normal package, but their profit will take a big punch as well, even if you factor in that they might make more advertising money (because they would now have a bigger audience)

The fact of the matter that as big as the pirating community is, the community that wants to watch these shows and are too ethical to pirate and/or are technologically inept that they don't know how, is even bigger. As such, these people will pay for these exclusive packages, and so guys like HBO make use of this knowledge and charge so much money for their channels.

I will never pay for tv

I cannot see the only good series legally.

I cannot individually stream channels like espn,

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

THOUGHTS?? THEY SHOULD GET US F**KING FIBER FIRST THE DUMB C*NTS, THEN WORRY ABOUT BLOODY INTERNET PIRACY, WE CAN'T EVEN DOWNLOAD 30GB'S OF MOVIE ATM BECAUSE IT WOULD TAKE 100000 F**KING YEARS. There bringing Australia down. They f**ked the car industry which means they lost thousands of jobs, not just in car factory's, but in the people who make parts for cars.  Then, they basically made a load of people who would of had a job of laying out fiber for the next ten years lose work, and then made the whole National broadband network board resign.  They f**ked up good this time.  Censoring the internet is just a load of bull. 

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Don't confuse limiting corporation greed with limiting people's rights.

Don't like our gun laws? As long as we don't end up like the USA, I don't see a problem. Guns are a solutions to non-existent problems.

taking away someone's basic human right and freedom to be armed is s good thing? Btw the shootings in the usa are caused by too much gun control because they only happen places with no guns like schools and malls... And corporations have a right to free speech just as much as a person.

Anyway my point was these ridiculous totalitarian laws ate nothing new for Australia

So giving us inferior internet wasn't enough.... good thing i am with iiNet though

I don't mind Australia. However I am getting a bit tired of some of the nanny laws we have had to endure,  "quick that man is thinking for himself, write up a law prohibiting him from doing that before he gets any ideas"... :rolleyes:

Its just another one in a long line of stupid laws they have tried to introduce:

-insulting someone is an offense

-publishing pictures of illegal boats is prohibited

-media articles that tell us about proof that our politicians are crooks, Even if they have the evidence is now cause for an inquiry.

-right of reply and freedom of speech removed if your accuser is aboriginal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

taking away someone's basic human right and freedom to be armed is s good thing? Btw the shootings in the usa are caused by too much gun control because they only happen places with no guns like schools and malls... And corporations have a right to free speech just as much as a person.

Anyway my point was these ridiculous totalitarian laws ate nothing new for Australia

Shootings in the USA are caused by the culture. People there believe that their problems can be gunned down. 

If you believe that a corporation that spends millions to push what is known to be a damaging substance should not be regulated, I believe your idea of freedom of speech is warped.

Shootings in the USA are caused by the culture. People there believe that their problems can be gunned down. 

If you believe that a corporation that spends millions to push what is known to be a damaging substance should not be regulated, I believe your idea of freedom of speech is warped.

Shootings in the USA are not caused by culture, and mostly happen in strictly controlled areas like NYC, chicago, schools and malls. areas where a good portion of the population open carries a side arm you rarely see crime. 

a corporation has a right to advertise what it wants, a warning on the side is enough, its up to the consumer to do as they wish. i dont even smoke cigarettes and the advertising doesnt make me wants to smoke two packs a day

Shootings in the USA are not caused by culture, and mostly happen in strictly controlled areas like NYC, chicago, schools and malls. areas where a good portion of the population open carries a side arm you rarely see crime. 

a corporation has a right to advertise what it wants, a warning on the side is enough, its up to the consumer to do as they wish. i dont even smoke cigarettes and the advertising doesnt make me wants to smoke two packs a day

So if gun control is an issue, how come we got less than a tenth of gun crime per 10,000 as opposed the USA?

No, the fact that nicotine is an addictive substance is what makes you want to smoke 2 packs a day. It is a health issue and it is a government's duty to control hazardous substances.

But you know what? We're not going to convince each other no matter what we say and this is not the forum to discuss such issues.

thats what happen's when the goverment has an agreement with the USA and a prime minister thats best buds with rupert  murdoch

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I havent really read all the valid arguments but it is this simple in Australia. We are currently behind in most shows by about 4-5 weeks compared to US and canada. When we go onto these sites aka The Big Bang Theory all the news and spoilers are out before we get to see the show. Also in forums we are behind 4-5weeks which annoys every one. Also the adds in Australia for The big bang theory usually have nothing to do with the episode.

For instance the series 7 episode 11 when sheldon is with his sister who is pregnant they have dream scenaro's about sheldon.  Wel the aussie add said penny is hitting on sheldon and is this the end of leonard. When clearly it had nothing to do with the episode.

Thats why i search for an alternative method to see these episodes without adds. I think i will be investing in hotspot shield shortly.

How to stop a lot of piracy in Australia in two steps.

1. Netflix

2. Affordable internet plans with higher or no bandwidth caps.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

So if gun control is an issue, how come we got less than a tenth of gun crime per 10,000 as opposed the USA?

No, the fact that nicotine is an addictive substance is what makes you want to smoke 2 packs a day. It is a health issue and it is a government's duty to control hazardous substances.

But you know what? We're not going to convince each other no matter what we say and this is not the forum to discuss such issues.

there has actually been a steady increase in gun crime since the gun ban in australia(look up the statistics for yourself). and in area of the USA where a lot of people freely open carry firearms there is hardly any crime, like i said, we have so many large areas with gun control like chicago and NYC and schools that thats where all of our shootings happen because no one can defend themelves. its proven statistically time and time again gun control does not work, it only dis arms innocent people and the actual criminals run rampant. Also after almost every major gun ban, crime in general rises including rapes, assaults  and such because people can not defend themselves from it.

how in the hell is it a governments duty to control somthing like tobacco? let alone the advertising. if people want to smoke then they can, advertising and case packaging is not going to stop those people or make new people start to smoke. why should a company be penalized by not being able to advertise because some people dont like it. should we ban soda advertisements or mcdonalds advertisements or cake advertisements or alcohol advertisements? no, because its the consumers responsibility to make the right choices for themselves. i can see you have obviously been brainwashed by your totalitarian state. its like the liberals here in the USA and less so the republicans too. i hope one day the whole world will be free, and run be a free libertarian government. and that the sheeple will no longer be brainwashed by fools. 

there has actually been a steady increase in gun crime since the gun ban in australia(look up the statistics for yourself). and in area of the USA where a lot of people freely open carry firearms there is hardly any crime, like i said, we have so many large areas with gun control like chicago and NYC and schools that thats where all of our shootings happen because no one can defend themelves. its proven statistically time and time again gun control does not work, it only dis arms innocent people and the actual criminals run rampant. Also after almost every major gun ban, crime in general rises including rapes, assaults  and such because people can not defend themselves from it.

how in the hell is it a governments duty to control somthing like tobacco? let alone the advertising. if people want to smoke then they can, advertising and case packaging is not going to stop those people or make new people start to smoke. why should a company be penalized by not being able to advertise because some people dont like it. should we ban soda advertisements or mcdonalds advertisements or cake advertisements or alcohol advertisements? no, because its the consumers responsibility to make the right choices for themselves. i can see you have obviously been brainwashed by your totalitarian state. its like the liberals here in the USA and less so the republicans too. i hope one day the whole world will be free, and run be a free libertarian government. and that the sheeple will no longer be brainwashed by fools. 

Whatever you say, man. We still got less gun crime and that is a fact.

Brainwashed? As opposed to being brainwashed into thinking that corporations should be allowed to run wild? Man, you've been brainwashed by free marketers and are good little consumer, aren't you?

Like I said, this is not the forum for this discussion, and I doubt we're going to convince each other.

Brainwashed? As opposed to being brainwashed into thinking that corporations should be allowed to run wild? Man, you've been brainwashed by free marketers and are good little consumer, aren't you?

Like I said, this is not the forum for this discussion, and I doubt we're going to convince each other.

less gun crime as a whole yes, but still more gun crime then areas in the USA which have a lot of people carrying firearms. 

and how is giving the freedom of speech to a corporation letting them run wild, if marlboro wants to run an advertisement on TV saying their product taste better than another, along with a warning at the end saying smoking does this and that, whats wrong with that, obviously they can not be allowed to straight up lie to consumers and say it makes you in to superman or something, but as long as they are being honest, then why shouldnt they be able to? 

anyway i do have one question for you? does Australia have caps on internet usage? i remember when i lived in canada a few years back i had like some stupid 20 gb a month cap, they charged a like 10 bucks for going over it but then just stopped charging if i went over 50gb. is it similar in australia?

Piracy is always the result of not delivering the product in a satisfactory manner. 

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

less gun crime as a whole yes, but still more gun crime then areas in the USA which have a lot of people carrying firearms. 

and how is giving the freedom of speech to a corporation letting them run wild, if marlboro wants to run an advertisement on TV saying their product taste better than another, along with a warning at the end saying smoking does this and that, whats wrong with that, obviously they can not be allowed to straight up lie to consumers and say it makes you in to superman or something, but as long as they are being honest, then why shouldnt they be able to? 

anyway i do have one question for you? does Australia have caps on internet usage? i remember when i lived in canada a few years back i had like some stupid 20 gb a month cap, they charged a like 10 bucks for going over it but then just stopped charging if i went over 50gb. is it similar in australia?

20Gb per month in Canada? Really? Jesus!

Here they throttle your speed once you reach a certain limit, I'm on a terabyte cap before they drop me to 256kps.

It's funny how people think they can stop piracy. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

20Gb per month in Canada? Really? Jesus!

Here they throttle your speed once you reach a certain limit, I'm on a terabyte cap before they drop me to 256kps.

yeah it was super cheap though, plus I haven't lived there for almost three years, but Canada is really bad in terms of internet too, especially with cell phone data, but my internet would only charge me s few bucks if I'd go over the data cap and then just ignore it lol

its easy for ISPs to block sites just black list them on the DNS servers

wont cost them a thing

Don't tell them that!

We don't want this blocked.

You have no idea what movies and other shit like that costs in Australia do you?

WE DONT HAVE LEGAL AVENUES TO ACCESS THIS SHIT.

We can't just go onto Netflix and watch something like everyone else.

There is still daily gun crime here so cares either way?