I'm getting unauthorized information release threats after selling my old ROBLOX account.

GetacFanboy

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum for this, so if this doesn't belong here, let me know and I'll delete this topic and repost in Off Topic. 

I recently ran into financial hardships and decided to sell my old ROBLOX account. As a youngster, I used to spend a lot of time and money on ROBLOX, and so my account became somewhat valuable. But now that I'm older, I've outgrown ROBLOX, so I decided to sell my account. I joined a Discord server that advertised itself as a ROBLOX marketplace and found people interested in buying my account rather quickly. I sold my account for $50, and everything seemed like it was going well until about a week later. I guess the buyer had done some "secretive stuff" and ROBLOX has a system that reset the email account to my email, and he needed me to reset the password. I did that for him, gave him the new password, and figured what he did with the account was his business and didn't think too much of it.

Then about a week later, he says he lost the password and accused me of stealing the account back. I didn't steal the account. I told him this, and he accused me of lying. 

Here are the chatlogs

Capture.thumb.PNG.9a3cdd9154e3ed4f464914f378e5c479.PNG

Also, I gave him the account info for the email associated with the account.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.b0c7a820596955b2651f471d9e2584a6.PNG

Capture3.thumb.PNG.f94fa5b89783a23723b6297f32e71240.PNG

Capture4.thumb.PNG.963b58dfeb37581626bafcd2f7a1af95.PNG

Capture5.thumb.PNG.ac5ad655dae4c811b1983c931832bad0.PNG

Basically we argued a bunch until this happened:

Capture6.thumb.PNG.60894e58aae581eaef64d22defd307ef.PNG

Capture7.thumb.PNG.909452214916088080aa0f363c146946.PNG

Capture8.thumb.PNG.2999bca2e094760cae30e4a420c9d3ff.PNG

Capture9.thumb.PNG.b9a49a7a4fc2807099e4889411586dcd.PNG

Whoever hacked the account had changed the phone number on the account so I wasn't getting a code. I tried sending it again a few times hoping it would come, and it never did.

Then I saw he sent me a message with my full name that he got from when he payed me with Paypal. I have a unique name and searching it on google gives the name of the town I live in as I show up on honor roll documents posted publicly from high school. He also has my address from the Paypal Transaction. 

That's when I started to get scared. 

After that screenshot, he sent me more information and threatened to release information without my consent multiple times.spacer.png

Capture12.thumb.PNG.1d426bb19488e59b94b9bbe7fb5f348d.PNG

I offered to refund him, he refused.

I also sent him a screenshot. I accidentally forgot to censor the phone number to two of my contacts in the screenshot I sent him proving I didn't get the code. He later texted them and slandered me. 

After I sent the screenshot:

13.thumb.PNG.9a500f3a06cb421316a055d8144876ca.PNG

Capture13.thumb.PNG.ea8d291cab931098991da7c27bd03ac7.PNG

Capture14.thumb.PNG.fc7feff24c6126412d343df2cb1e5874.PNG

Capture15.thumb.PNG.ba71fc0e411aacbf518e2fd92e73bf97.PNG

I sent the password in the group chat. He had a friend of his pay for it, and that friend was the other guy in the group chat.

Capture16.thumb.PNG.d7818edb6d5e6140aa16b81d561ab44f.PNGCapture17.thumb.PNG.135e1928a276443488f2cb254b8b9596.PNG

That's the last message I got from the guy

He has a lot of my information and I'm really scared he could do some damage.

What should I do??

Just now, Aimi said:

So uh, what do you want us to do, exactly?

This guy has a lot of information on me and is threatening to doxx me. I've never been in this situation before and I don't know how to respond to it. I posted this thread in hopes I could get advice on how to respond to a situation like this. 

4 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

This guy has a lot of information on me and is threatening to doxx me. I've never been in this situation before and I don't know how to respond to it. I posted this thread in hopes I could get advice on how to respond to a situation like this. 

Dox implies you kept that information private, but clearly you didn't since it's all over your Paypal, and that was your chosen payment method.
What do you even expect from someone that's probably a dumb teenager that wanted a good Roblox account? No one's gonna show up at your door with a gun, or get you fired from a job, or anything really bad.

A girl who loves to love.

6 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Dox implies you kept that information private, but clearly you didn't since it's all over your Paypal, and that was your chosen payment method.
What do you even expect from someone that's probably a dumb teenager that wanted a good Roblox account? No one's gonna show up at your door with a gun, or get you fired from a job, or anything really bad.

I apologize, I didn't realize I was misusing the word "Dox" and I will edit the original post such that the revision will reflect improvements in the wording. 

I certainly didn't expect much from the ROBLOX community, but I didn't necessarily expect them to get a hold of my bosses phone number from a screenshot on my phone and tell them I scammed them. I haven't gotten fired and I don't expect to, but my boss knows about the situation, which certainly isn't desirable. 

With the information this guy has, I'm scared as to what he can do. 

Selling your account is usually against the rules for most games but I doubt that it could get you in real trouble so, if I were you, I'd probably just contact the local police and let them know what's happening.

They most likely won't do much but at least they'll be aware.

If the guy tries to get you fired or harass you in a serious way, the police can step in and help you out.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

Selling your account is usually against the rules for most games but I doubt that it could get you in real trouble so, if I were you, I'd probably just contact the local police and let them know what's happening.

They most likely won't do much but at least they'll be aware.

If the guy tries to get you fired or harass you in a serious way, the police can step in and help you out.

Yeah, it's definitely against the ROBLOX TOS, but like you said, that's not a big deal.

I appreciate the advice! 

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I'd probably just contact the local police and let them know what's happening.

What would they even do?

A girl who loves to love.

Just now, Aimi said:

What would they even do?

Get annoyed about the fact they need to document it.

If it becomes a bigger deal, the documentation could be useful in court and they could get a search warrant for discord to get his IP, then contact his ISP and get the address associated with the account, figure out who he is, and that could be useful.

Obviously we're not to that point yet, but I would assume it's still worth contacting them now just in case. 

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

What would they even do?

Right now? Most likely nothing. But if the guy tries anything stupid, then they could step in.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

3 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

Yeah, it's definitely against the ROBLOX TOS, but like you said, that's not a big deal.

I appreciate the advice! 

There are two main reasons why services are against sharing/trading accounts. One is monetary value they lose. The other is bad side-effects to their brand name. Like this one. As this can be scam buy buyer, they are extorting you after all.

Valve has been active to shutdown skin gambling sites which have been exposed to be fake or otherwise scam Steam users. This type of things are also reason why LTT forum doesn't allow any trades of digital items.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

There are two main reasons why services are against sharing/trading accounts. One is monetary value they lose. The other is bad side-effects to their brand name. Like this one. As this can be scam buy buyer, they are extorting you after all.

Valve has been active to shutdown skin gambling sites which have been exposed to be fake or otherwise scam Steam users. This type of things are also reason why LTT forum doesn't allow any trades of digital items.

At the time I sold the account, I was unaware of the fact that it was against their Terms of Service. I became aware of that after discussing the situation depicted in this thread with some friends of mine.

As for the quote you originally responded to, I am aware of the reasons that companies would make it against their rules, and my intention was not to downplay that, so I appreciate you pointing that out. I was saying that from a selfish perspective, as we were discussing what that meant for me, and not what it meant for ROBLOX as a company :)

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much. Doxxing gets often thrown around as a scare tactic and from what I could tell, he doesn't have any truly delicate information on you. At least I wouldn't be concerned that he knew what to do with it even if he did have anything worthwhile. He clearly thought you were at fault and tried to force you for an response. And if he calls your boss and he takes this guys word over yours, you know, the person he personally knows, then he's a pretty bad boss. But if you want to be on the safe side, then you could report it to the local authorities, just in case there will be harassment later on.