Is 98% load normal on a RTX 2080?

Wally Del Oeste

Hello,

Yesterday i tried to stream Apex Legends using OBS but i juts couldn't i kept getting encoding overload using nvenc, then i noticed that my gpu was at 98% load while playing, i thought there was something wrong with the game so i tried Fortnite and i realized that gpu was at same load, i use a FHD 240hz as my main monitor and a FHD 144hz as my second monitor, i tried changing to 144hz from 240 and the gpu load droped to like 82% is this normal or should i send my gpu for warranty?

This is my rig:

Intel i9-9900K

Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200MHZ

MSI RTX 2080 Gaming Trio  

NVME 256GB

thank you very much for the help and sorry for my bad English so is not my main language

Screenshot_4.png

Sometimes software shows a fully utilized gpu as 98% or 99%, this is normal and is most likely just the software.

Maybe you set your stream to also be at 240fps, so your gpu is just overwhelmed by your settings in obs

That's normal when paired with a 240hz monitor. Your hardware is trying to render 240fps, and it's impressive that it can do that at all.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

19 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's normal when paired with a 240hz monitor. Your hardware is trying to render 240fps, and it's impressive that it can do that at all.

so i wont be able to stream then?

20 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

Sometimes software shows a fully utilized gpu as 98% or 99%, this is normal and is most likely just the software.

Maybe you set your stream to also be at 240fps, so your gpu is just overwhelmed by your settings in obs

stream is set to 1600x900 60fps

Just now, Wally Del Oeste said:

You can always lower your stream settings. Over 144hz in a stream is not really necessary. I downscale my streams to 1920x1080p 60 fps and my rig can handle it with no issues.

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1000w Case: Corsair 680X RGB Black

NAS/Media Box

CPU: Ryzen 3200G  MB: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 M.2: WD Blue 500 GB

PSU: Rosewill Photon 850W 80+ Gold Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

Also, your GPU is having to encode the stream, as well as display to your two monitors at those high refresh rates. If you lower any screens you are not using for the game itself, it will improve your performance both in stream, and in game as the GPU has to handle less.

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

NAS/Media Box

Just now, LaughingHyena said:

You can always lower your stream settings. Over 144hz in a stream is not really necessary. I downscale my streams to 1920x1080p 60 fps and my rig can handle it with no issues.

but stream is set to 1600x900 60fps, should i chage 240hz monitor to 144hz when i stream?

but stream is set to 1600x900 60fps, should i chage 240hz monitor to 144hz when i stream?

I'd rather say set your second to 60 Hz

You can, it will take some load off of your GPU. If you are not playing the game on your 144hz monitor, there is no reason to have it that high, it's just using up resources on your GPU at that point. Might as well drop it down to help take some load off.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

Just now, Mephi00 said:

I'd rather say set your second to 60 Hz

ok i will try that later today, i hope it works, i was worried that the gpu or any other commponent was faulty 

5 minutes ago, Wally Del Oeste said:

Yes, just not if you're running the game at the settings you are.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Why not stream on the CPU? if the screenshot shows the usage during gaming then using the CPU to stream is obviously going to be better.

1 minute ago, LaughingHyena said:

You can, it will take some load off of your GPU. If you are not playing the game on your 144hz monitor, there is no reason to have it that high, it's just using up resources on your GPU at that point. Might as well drop it down to help take some load off.

I tried that once when I used 144hz monitor and 60hz monitor as a secondary in the past, but I was getting stutter when something with movement showed in the 60hz monitor 

Just now, KaitouX said:

Why not stream on the CPU? if the screenshot shows the usage during gaming then using the CPU to stream is obviously going to be better.

NVENC Encoder is really well done and probably the best one out there at the moment. I use it for my streams and it does great.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

1 minute ago, KaitouX said:

streaming with CPU makes the game looks like little stutter 

I tried that once when I used 144hz monitor and 60hz monitor as a secondary in the past, but I was getting stutter when something with movement showed in the 60hz monitor 

Were you running the game across both screens, or just one? If you run a game in more than one screen, that will drastically increase your GPU usage.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

Were you running the game across both screens, or just one? If you run a game in more than one screen, that will drastically increase your GPU usage.

I use the game in one screen and obs preview and chat in the other one

I use the game in one screen and obs preview and chat in the other one

Okay, if you drop that second screen down to 144hz or lower, that should help take some load off your GPU. Also, don't use Ray Tracing. It's cool and all, but does not give enough benefit to outweigh the resource drain, especially while streaming. You should also be able to take your 240hz down to 144hz without much of a noticeable difference to get some better performance.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

Okay, if you drop that second screen down to 144hz or lower, that should help take some load off your GPU. Also, don't use Ray Tracing. It's cool and all, but does not give enough benefit to outweigh the resource drain, especially while streaming. You should also be able to take your 240hz down to 144hz without much of a noticeable difference to get some better performance.

so down my main monitor from 240hz to 144hz and my second monitor from 144hz to 60hz will do the trick?

so down my main monitor from 240hz to 144hz and my second monitor from 144hz to 60hz will do the trick?

Most likely. Having high refresh rate monitors is great, but they do require more power for your GPU to run, as does NVENC.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

NVENC Encoder is really well done and probably the best one out there at the moment. I use it for my streams and it does great.

CPU still better quality, even when the difference is smaller than it was in the past, and in case that you're completely GPU bound using the CPU should be the obvious choice.

2 minutes ago, Wally Del Oeste said:

streaming with CPU makes the game looks like little stutter 

On the stream or the game itself? I personally would try various settings using the CPU as encoder to try to fix the problem, the end result should be better if you're able to balance the load between the CPU and GPU.

Most likely. Having high refresh rate monitors is great, but they do require more power for your GPU to run, as does NVENC.

well I'll try it later and tell you how that went, thank you all for your help

1 minute ago, KaitouX said:

CPU still better quality, even when the difference is smaller than it was in the past, and in case that you're completely GPU bound using the CPU should be the obvious choice.

On the stream or the game itself? I personally would try various settings using the CPU as encoder to try to fix the problem, the end result should be better if you're able to balance the load between the CPU and GPU.

any advice on what settings should I use in obs for cpu?

2 minutes ago, Wally Del Oeste said:

any advice on what settings should I use in obs for cpu?

It really depends on the game. For a GPU-heavy game like Apex, x264 might be best, but it really depends on your build. With a 9900K, it probably wouldn't hurt to try. That said, there are no 'Best Settings'. You can try to find a guide online, but your PC might need different settings. It took me trial and error to find good settings for my stream.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box