A13 Bionic chip vs snapdragon 855

Letgomyleghoe

Just bought my first iPhone and I am really impressed, I was deciding between The iPhone 11 and pixel 4 and the 11 actually ended up being cheaper so I went with it.

I didn’t look very far into performance besides camera performance (4K 60fps camera is what got me) 

is the snapdragon 855 a better chip when compared to the a13? Or is it more of a use case scenario? 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

17 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Just bought my first iPhone and I am really impressed, I was deciding between The iPhone 11 and pixel 4 and the 11 actually ended up being cheaper so I went with it.

I didn’t look very far into performance besides camera performance (4K 60fps camera is what got me) 

is the snapdragon 855 a better chip when compared to the a13? Or is it more of a use case scenario? 

This is really an apples vs oranges comparison. ?

Joking aside, Apple is really good at optimizing their OSes since they control all the hardware it's designed to run on. So the new devices, even though the hardware may be technically inferior (less ram, lower IPC, etc), usually perform in line with the same generation of android hardware. In terms of phone OEMs, Samsung and OnePlus are usually at the top of the charts in terms of android device performance. 
EDIT: Benchmarks actually have A13 above Snapdragon, thought this was reversed.

Sauce: https://browser.geekbench.com/mobile-benchmarks

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

15 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

It's weird, Apple claims their a13 bionic is faster, and  Qualcomm claims the same (obviously) the s11/20 series will launch in literally 2 days, with an upgraded spec sheet (Qualcomm Snapdragon 865, bigger battery, better cameras, ect), so it might be close. Currently though, I would say the the 13 bionic is somewhat faster (No big impact though) , but ask somebody who did real benchmarks, not a research nerd. I would persoanlly, choose a 'old' (new) note 10+ which probs. will go for like 700 on amazon on a good day, rather than a iphone 11 or 11 "pro" - Apple does optimize their software ALOT better though, becuase they are the only makers of iphones, which are the only phones that run IOS and all its apps, insted of andriod having to make a middle ground between thousands of phones from different price points. Allthough apple phones don't have the specs to back it up (like 4gb of ram, compared to the current 12 of samsung's flagships, and 16 for the upcoming), their software and games in particular) are REALLY WELL OPTIMIZED, meaning while using apple, the games might actually get higher fps, but you'd need a faster display (that andriod could provide, and possbily get to in terms of fps, like 90). But in preformacne tests not optimized for ios/andriod, the 855/865 usually win, dpending on the circumstances. . .  

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

The A13 Bionic is essentially superior in every metric that matters. It’s voltage gated to hell and back so it’s super power efficient, has a beast mode GPU, and really strong single and multicore performance. If I’m not mistaken, the A13 Bionic should beat the 855 in basically every benchmark. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Define better chip.

Looking at Benchmarks, Apple's A13 (late 2019) will even beat the 865 chip.

However, Apple's A-Chips are usually larger, and quite "unique".

Since the A-Chips are only in iPhones, and Snapdragon only in Androids, you don't just have the SoC Comparison, but also in addition 2 different Systems.

My advice: Forget this kind of Question.
If you use an iPhone, the A13 is a Beast.

If you use an Android, the Snapdragon 855 is a Beast.

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Define better chip.

Looking at Benchmarks, Apple's A13 (late 2019) will even beat the 865 chip.

However, Apple's A-Chips are usually larger, and quite "unique".

Since the A-Chips are only in iPhones, and Snapdragon only in Androids, you don't just have the SoC Comparison, but also in addition 2 different Systems.

My advice: Forget this kind of Question.
If you use an iPhone, the A13 is a Beast.

If you use an Android, the Snapdragon 855 is a Beast.

In their own phones with their own operating system’s.

which one would be better for what scenarios 

AMD blackout rig

1 hour ago, scuff gang said:

It doesn't matter, phone processor speeds have been more than fast enough for general use for about 5 years. Besides, if you need to ask something tells me you aren't dissatisfied with the performance you're getting.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It doesn't matter, phone processor speeds have been more than fast enough for general use for about 5 years. Besides, if you need to ask something tells me you aren't dissatisfied with the performance you're getting.

im no where near dissatisfied with the perormance, i had a moto e4 before which is about as low as you can go with modern smartphones

AMD blackout rig

Just now, scuff gang said:

im no where near dissatisfied with the perormance, i had a moto e4 before which is about as low as you can go with modern smartphones

Exactly... so don't worry about it!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

These benchmarks are worthless (to an extent). The types of tests these benchmarks run often don't apply to the average user. Check out the Phonebuff (youtube channel) speed runs where they open up a bunch of apps on each device, and then redo it to see which apps were kept open. iPhone's tend to win the first lap off of sheer CPU processing power, but they don't win it by much (contrary to what Geekbench suggests). High end Android phone's tend to dominate the second lap due to having more RAM and holding apps open in the background, which sometimes wins them the entire race.

The reality is, most of what is done on a daily basis will be differentiated by less than 2 seconds between different high end devices. The A13 is a high end and efficient chip, but is it a game changer? Not really.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

37 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

In their own phones with their own operating system’s.

which one would be better for what scenarios 

Can't really be answered. 
There is no "scenario" where the one is better of the other.

Just because of the Chip itself: The A13 is better, because it's more powerful.

Well, since the Pixel 4 is one of the worst Flaggships 2019, and one of the biggest disappointments 2019, that decision wasn't really bad (if he doesn't care if it's iOS or Android).

Like, make a Pixel 4 vs. any flaggship, and the other one will most likely be the better choice :P

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

Well, since the Pixel 4 is one of the worst Flaggships 2019, and one of the biggest disappointments 2019, that decision wasn't really bad (if he doesn't care if it's iOS or Android).

Like, make a Pixel 4 vs. any flaggship, and the other one will most likely be the better choice :P

The only reason why I was considering the pixel 4 was the camera and I wanted to stick to android, but it seems the camera is basically equal in quality and my workplace and friends are starting to switch to iOS for iMessage.

when I got there and figured out I could pay less and get the 11 I just decided to get the 11.

im also paying like six a month for an Apple Watch series 3 (no ugly red on the scroll week for some reason) and it’s really nIce not having to pull my phone out to change music or check a text, which is really nice while rock climbing or running. 

AMD blackout rig

15 hours ago, scuff gang said:

The only reason why I was considering the pixel 4 was the camera and I wanted to stick to android, but it seems the camera is basically equal in quality and my workplace and friends are starting to switch to iOS for iMessage.

when I got there and figured out I could pay less and get the 11 I just decided to get the 11.

im also paying like six a month for an Apple Watch series 3 (no ugly red on the scroll week for some reason) and it’s really nIce not having to pull my phone out to change music or check a text, which is really nice while rock climbing or running. 

Red on the scroll wheel means it has mobile data (cellular for the yanks). r that's what it used to mean.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

20 hours ago, scuff gang said:

Apples chips have been ahead of Qualcomm for a while now, at least on CPU, GPU on android is more powerful but the iPhone isn't trying to drive a 4K screen on a smartphone (dunno why you would tbh). Think the 855 is between the A11 and 12 in terms of geek bench. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, scuff gang said:

A13 beets Snapdragon 855 in every benchmark. It scores up to 78% better in GB5 single core test. In Antutu we have only 10% of A13 superiority, but it's more platform-dependent test, than Geekbench. Even new Snapdragon 865 can't beet A13.

23 hours ago, macforever said:

A13 beets Snapdragon 855 in every benchmark. It scores up to 78% better in GB5 single core test. In Antutu we have only 10% of A13 superiority, but it's more platform-dependent test, than Geekbench. Even new Snapdragon 865 can't beet A13.

Be surprised if the 855 beats the single core A12 score tbh in GB