X299X Designare 10G New build question

Hello to the community! 

i have recently built a pc using the following parts,

Gigabyte X299X designare 10g

intel 10900x cpu

g.skill trident z royal series RAM (4 x 16 GB)

corsair hx1000 PSU

corsair h150i pro RGB 

“I have not yet added a gpu”

So far I still did not buy a monitor and that is why I was planning to use a TV to check my new build. This is when I realized that the TV only supports HDMI input and my motherboard has only DisplayPort outputs. That is why I purchased an adapter that will convert an HDMI cable to DisplayPort. 
so I connected one side of the HDMI cable to the TV, and the other side of the HDMI cable to the adapter, and then I connected the adapter (which is a DisplayPort) to the back of my case (my motherboard output)

problem is that I am not receiving any signal ir any display on the TV. Any ideas in how I can fix this problem?

I must also mention that, when I turn on the PC, a series of codes are showing on the motherboard LED, the codes cycle really fast, some stay for a second or so but they all change till the last code is “AE” and that code stays. 
Is this cycling through codes normal? Should I debug all of them? Or shall I only be concerned about the last code that stays there? What about the ones that are only shown for a second or so and then change? 

i have attached a video of the motherboard LED codes. I have also attached a photo of the HDMI cable plugged into the adapter. 

it would be great if someone could help me. :)

thanks! 

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you need to add a gpu to use that pc at all. Do that first

Those mobo outputs only work when a gpu is added

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain more please? I am not familiar with this as I have never heard this before. Any sources? 

Like Wizardy said, you need a GPU to use it. Like every other HEDT platform I know of, the CPUs do not have iGPUs built in, so there's no display out unless the OEM builds something into the motherboard (some server boards), or you use a GPU (basically everything else). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Like Wizardy said, you need a GPU to use it. Like every other HEDT platform I know of, the CPUs do not have iGPUs built in, so there's no display out unless the OEM builds something into the motherboard (some server boards), or you use a GPU (basically everything else). 

Thanks for the reply, I recall a few years ago I could have easily used the HDMI/DVI/VGA outputs on the back of my motherboard even when not having a GPU. 

is this something that is only applicable to DisplayPort?

Just now, Xtorsam said:

Thanks for the reply, I recall a few years ago I could have easily used the HDMI/DVI/VGA outputs on the back of my motherboard even when not having a GPU. 

the CPUs do not have iGPUs built in

The CPU literally does not have a GPU of any kind onboard lol, it doesn't matter what outputs the board has. 

Some older boards had the built in graphics too, nowadays it's mostly a few server boards that actually need that functionality. 

And more than a few years ago, that was like Core 2 era, around 2007-8. That's 12-13 years ago now. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

the CPUs do not have iGPUs built in

The CPU literally does not have a GPU of any kind onboard lol, it doesn't matter what outputs the board has. 

Some older boards had the built in graphics too, nowadays it's mostly a few server boards that actually need that functionality. 

And more than a few years ago, that was like Core 2 era, around 2007-8. That's 12-13 years ago now. 

I see, anyways, the board that I am referring to is MSI Z97 Gaming 5, I recall that board didn’t need a GPU in order to send signals to a monitor/tv. 

Just now, Xtorsam said:

I see, anyways, the board that I am referring to is MSI Z97 Gaming 5, I recall that board didn’t need a GPU in order to send signals to a monitor/tv. 

The board did. 

The CPUs for that board have iGPUs onboard, the board is using the CPU's built in GPU to do that. The board still needs a GPU, just the CPU has one. 

HEDT CPUs don't, I've never seen a single HEDT CPU with an iGPU. They might exist, but I don't know of any. 

Main PC 

16 minutes ago, Xtorsam said:

the display port on that board is for thunderbolt i think, and a passthrough from a gpu, its useless if y ou don't have a gpu

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the display port on that board is for thunderbolt i think, and a passthrough from a gpu, its useless if y ou don't have a gpu

Thank you for the helpful information! I’ll be getting a GPU soon, Can you please give me some GPU suggestions? Budget around 1000 USD

I don’t need something extremely powerful, just something that can help me get an output signal to the monitor. 

3 hours ago, Xtorsam said:

Thank you for the helpful information! I’ll be getting a GPU soon, Can you please give me some GPU suggestions? Budget around 1000 USD

I don’t need something extremely powerful, just something that can help me get an output signal to the monitor. 

what are you using the pc for?

1000 budget will get you almost any gpu, but for just put video on the screen can be done by a 30 dollar gpu. 

Do you play games? Do you edit video?

What res and num of monitors?

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what are you using the pc for?

1000 budget will get you almost any gpu, but for just put video on the screen can be done by a 30 dollar gpu. 

Do you play games? Do you edit video?

What res and num of monitors?

I am using the computer for music production only, I just need something that is compatible with my system and will put a video on the screen. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. However I just realized something while reading the manual and also the product specifications page on Gigabyte. Attached two images from the manual,

does it mean that I can continue by only using a Thunderbolt 3 monitor and not buy a graphics card for now?

DAF6EA39-806E-4F09-B174-3AF8D1AA5209.jpeg

7D4C7BEF-28F6-4D83-AD2A-AD3F41437ADA.jpeg

10 hours ago, Xtorsam said:

I am using the computer for music production only, I just need something that is compatible with my system and will put a video on the screen. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. However I just realized something while reading the manual and also the product specifications page on Gigabyte. Attached two images from the manual,

What displays? What res

Id probably get something like a rx550, more than fast enough for a basic display out, and enough extra to run a few 2160p screens or basic games or gpu accerlated things.

10 hours ago, Xtorsam said:

does it mean that I can continue by only using a Thunderbolt 3 monitor and not buy a graphics card for now?

You can't use the thunderbolt without a gpu, you still need a gpu.

You got an HEDT for music productions???
I don't even.....

First of all, you do not have anything to process graphics.
Slots on motherboard are irrelevant to having a graphics processor.

These are done by GPU on a videocard or iGPU integrated on CPU.

Intel HEDT does not come with an iGPU so you have no other option than buying a GPU.

If you don't mind, what software do you use for music production?

I feel like you might wanna invest in an audio card or other amp/dac. 

i9-10940X @5.40GHz (currently the top OC record):  https://valid.x86.fr/5jiapc

i9-10940X Regular 24/7 @5.1GHz all core: http://valid.x86.fr/bj13uz

48 minutes ago, ImNotNeko said:

You got an HEDT for music productions???
I don't even.....

First of all, you do not have anything to process graphics.
Slots on motherboard are irrelevant to having a graphics processor.

These are done by GPU on a videocard or iGPU integrated on CPU.

Intel HEDT does not come with an iGPU so you have no other option than buying a GPU.

If you don't mind, what software do you use for music production?

I feel like you might wanna invest in an audio card or other amp/dac. 

The reason that I got this CPU is the number of cores and the clock speed. I have been producing music for short films and artists for the last 7 years and in all this time the most vital component have been the CPU and the RAM for my production software.

the softwares that I use are Steinberg Cubase and Avid Protools. I already have a dedicated amp and audio interface: Universal Audio Apollo 16 is my audio card(audio interface)

initially I wanted to purchase a graphics card at a later stage because I also do 3D Engineering designs and FEA analysis from time to time. That’s another reason that I bought this CPU to be sure and future proof.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What displays? What res

Id probably get something like a rx550, more than fast enough for a basic display out, and enough extra to run a few 2160p screens or basic games or gpu accerlated things.

You can't use the thunderbolt without a gpu, you still need a gpu.

Thank you for your reply, one last question. I plan to use the thunderbolt 3 ports to connect them to an audio interface. Is the GPU responsible for that as well? 

42 minutes ago, Xtorsam said:

Thank you for your reply, one last question. I plan to use the thunderbolt 3 ports to connect them to an audio interface. Is the GPU responsible for that as well? 

You can connect the gpu to the thunderbolt on the gpu, so you can connect a monitor over thunderbolt, but for a audio interface it won't matter.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can connect the gpu to the thunderbolt on the gpu, so you can connect a monitor over thunderbolt, but for a audio interface it won't matter.

Sorry I didn’t get this part “connect the gpu to the thunderbolt on the gpu”

4 minutes ago, Xtorsam said:

Sorry I didn’t get this part “connect the gpu to the thunderbolt on the gpu”

The displayport ports on the back of the board are inputs, you plug your gpu into them, then connect the thunderbolt port to a monitor. This is only needed if you need to use a thunderbolt monitor. FOr your use it won't matter

honest answer due to what you are working with in terms of hardware and production material. if you have the oppertunity to, id suggest returning the CPU, Motherboard, and Ram. 

that would allow you to start over and get something much better for less while its up and running immediately. 

edit: and id suggest getting some advice. 

Relevant to what @GoldenLag said:

The i9 10900X is of awful value across the board... If you want a 10 cores Intel processor I strongly suggest waiting 10th gen i9 10900K coming in April.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 hours ago, Xtorsam said:

The reason that I got this CPU is the number of cores and the clock speed. I have been producing music for short films and artists for the last 7 years and in all this time the most vital component have been the CPU and the RAM for my production software.

the softwares that I use are Steinberg Cubase and Avid Protools. I already have a dedicated amp and audio interface: Universal Audio Apollo 16 is my audio card(audio interface)

initially I wanted to purchase a graphics card at a later stage because I also do 3D Engineering designs and FEA analysis from time to time. That’s another reason that I bought this CPU to be sure and future proof.

I didn't personally run any test on those software, but it seems that Stenberg Cubase benefits from HEDT platform while Avid Protool might have been better with 9900K.

But in this situation, I would for for HEDT as well. So I take back my HEDT for music comment.

But a HEDT motherboard has A LOT of settings and you really need to know your settings to benefit from it.

I use Aorus X299 Gaming 9 motherboard which is VERY similar to your board and it has tons of options.

I suggest getting a cheap videocard like GTX 1650.

6 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Relevant to what @GoldenLag said:

The i9 10900X is of awful value across the board... If you want a 10 cores Intel processor I strongly suggest waiting 10th gen i9 10900K coming in April.

His values comes from either gaming or video rendering. This video is irrelevant to this topic.

Also he admitted later that he needs to correct this video. 10900X is a good CPU for budget PCI-E lane heavy computer.

Furthermore, this video is in comparison to Ryzen. We don't even know if Stenberg Cubase and Avid Protool works well with Ryzen CPUs.
Many professional software still don't scale well with Ryzen.

i9-10940X @5.40GHz (currently the top OC record):  https://valid.x86.fr/5jiapc

i9-10940X Regular 24/7 @5.1GHz all core: http://valid.x86.fr/bj13uz

15 hours ago, ImNotNeko said:

I didn't personally run any test on those software, but it seems that Stenberg Cubase benefits from HEDT platform while Avid Protool might have been better with 9900K.

But in this situation, I would for for HEDT as well. So I take back my HEDT for music comment.

But a HEDT motherboard has A LOT of settings and you really need to know your settings to benefit from it.

I use Aorus X299 Gaming 9 motherboard which is VERY similar to your board and it has tons of options.

I suggest getting a cheap videocard like GTX 1650.

His values comes from either gaming or video rendering. This video is irrelevant to this topic.

Also he admitted later that he needs to correct this video. 10900X is a good CPU for budget PCI-E lane heavy computer.

Furthermore, this video is in comparison to Ryzen. We don't even know if Stenberg Cubase and Avid Protool works well with Ryzen CPUs.

Thanks for your reply, would a GTX 1650 be compatible with my board and cpu? How can I accurately check that? 

On 1/29/2020 at 2:45 AM, ImNotNeko said:

We don't even know if Stenberg Cubase

this piece of software appears to work fine. and actually seems to favor a lot of cache and hyperthreading. 

Avid Protool works well with Ryzen CPUs.

also appears to work well as long as you dont want to use macOS. 

10900X is a good CPU for budget PCI-E lane heavy computer.

kinda, its 44 CPU lanes are really nice, but he is not using it for that. and if someone is using it for that, then there are also better offerings. like the 1920x for about 230$ that has 64 lanes to play with. 

what settings does a HEDT motherboard have that a consumerboard hasnt that is relevant?

true, but those are (outside of edge cases) limited in singlethread performance, which the 9900k is better at, and the 3900x is close behind that. and when stuff scales at all, it scales well with cores.