Building a router for future isp?

mamamia88

So right now I have a pfsense apu box running my 200mb/s network. Right now 1 gigabit is the highest speed I'm capable of getting but, won't have that for at least 2  years now unfortunately. Anyway I was considering building a router that would be future proof and wondering what we expect internet speeds to be in 2022? Probably need a 10gbe card now right? 

I don't see 10Gb rolling out to the average consume for at least another 5 to 10 years. Sure there are sparse pockets but that's the exception and not the norm. If you're not getting 1Gb for another 2+ years then I wouldn't worry about 10Gb for a while.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

I don't see 10Gb rolling out to the average consume for at least another 5 to 10 years. Sure there are sparse pockets but that's the exception and not the norm. If you're not getting 1Gb for another 2+ years then I wouldn't worry about 10Gb for a while.

No I understand that I just want the hardware itself to be capable of running a lan as fast as say 2-3Gb like some of these AX routers I see on the market now. I don't know if they make cards between 1 and 10 or if it's even worth going with say a 5Gb card

You could outperform even the most advanced consumer category routers with relatively basic hardware. Their all pretty weak in the CPU/RAM dept. You can install a 10Gbit NIC if you're so inclined but I'd only see it worth it if you want to have more than one 10Gig network within your home or to use it as an aggregation point for a lot of 1Gig clients.

As far as WAN goes once you get Gigabit you won't be seeing 10G for quite some time. Even once you do the cost will probably not even be worth it.

Why would you do this now? Do you have a need for a better router right now?  10gig right now? If not, just buy a 10gig NIC when you actually need it. Prices are always coming down on this stuff, so buying one now without using it is a colassal waste of money.

Just upgrade the APU box when it becomes available tbh.  I move a lot of data but 10g needs some more dollars thrown at it if you want to do it properly.  

41 minutes ago, mamamia88 said:

No I understand that I just want the hardware itself to be capable of running a lan as fast as say 2-3Gb like some of these AX routers I see on the market now. I don't know if they make cards between 1 and 10 or if it's even worth going with say a 5Gb card

You don't really need a beefy router CPU for fast wifi, the APU should be able to route multi gigabit, but LAN transfers are switched which don't forward through the APU side.  

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

1 hour ago, mamamia88 said:

So right now I have a pfsense apu box running my 200mb/s network. Right now 1 gigabit is the highest speed I'm capable of getting but, won't have that for at least 2  years now unfortunately. Anyway I was considering building a router that would be future proof and wondering what we expect internet speeds to be in 2022? Probably need a 10gbe card now right? 

10 Gb won't be mainstream for a while...heck, 1 Gb is overkill for 99% of us right now.