Scrapyard Wars Season 8 - Feedback and Ideas

Lewubro

So I finally had the time to watch all episodes of Scrapyard Wars Season 8 and after watching them all, I thought I might give my opinion here in order to see if I am alone with what I think about it.

Tbh, I didn't think it was good. Scrapyard Wars has always been (at least for me) about the hunt and tension behind it. It has always been about finding the components, trying to get the best deals and combinations and then just praying and bug fixing while building the systems. 

This time, it felt like you missed this totally. At the end, almost every system has been a pre-build where some components where swapped. You all decided to skip the hurdle of the table and chair situation (which was a nice idea) by just not giving a f**k about what you ended up with. I also think that the teams where too big. A lot of times the tension in past Scrapyard Wars came from trying to get to a deal in time and organizting all pick ups. But with 3 guys per team, you basically got rid of this. 

Don't get me wrong: I love LTT, I love the content you do and that I can consume it for free. I hope you understand that this is also the reason for me trying to write this feedback down properly instead of doing a half-assed Youtube comment. 

Maybe some ideas for a possible next season:

• 2 members per team
  • 500 bucks per system
  • teams are not allowed to split up
  • teams can only buy one component per deal/seller
  • all items have be bought used. nothing new

I am very interested in what other forum members have to say to my feedback and ideas :)

I have my doubts about them making another season, it was not edited well imho and they already expressed how it's been going for too long (too many seasons) so it's hard to make it exciting or feel better than the previous seasons.

If they want to keep it going, then I feel like having a spin off in CSF whenever they revive it, would be better.

Well, I can agree on some points like how the teams were simply too big, reducing their overall stress and impact of the series... that the budget was a tad too high IMO and how buying a pre-built PC only to upgrade it slightly, is just as bad as going to freegeek dirt cheap parts in terms of entertainment factor...

That said, I still enjoyed it. But it does feel like Scrapyard wars kinda ran its course and a new project might be in order. It's a great concept, but once it's been done a few times, it's basically the same thing over and over again.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

They should do some kind of scrapyard wars based entirely around using decommissioned server parts

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

A proper challenge would be the following:

Limit the price spent to X number of dollars.

Limit the OS to something like Win2k. There's where the skill comes in. Finding drivers/patches and compatible parts in 2020.

In other words, make it difficult again. Let's see what kind of geek cred you *really* have.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Or maybe something like, no parts newer than year 2010? And the goal would be to play a 2019/2020 game at highest FPS using whatever overclocking or driver tricks you can. Highest average FPS wins. Could be fun to see the teams try to source top of the line ancient hardware and seeing what they can still do

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

what was the point of building a PC if the winner is decided on who can fucking win a CSGO match? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I think that it could be interesting if there was role reversal. Instead of Linus and Luke being the competitors, they are the judges, then pick 2-3 least "PC knowledgeable" people from the office, give them $400 to build the best tower they can. Challenge would be that they would have to use only used hardware, and they are not allowed to watch LTT videos to learn about parts.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

why dont they do scrap yard wards for something else than a PC. 

perhaps a tv set that people are throwing out.

the idea of finding a use for 2nd hand technology in our disposable society was what appealed to people.

2 hours ago, tech.guru said:

why dont they do scrap yard wards for something else than a PC. 

perhaps a tv set that people are throwing out.

the idea of finding a use for 2nd hand technology in our disposable society was what appealed to people.

I never heard someone say that finding a use for 2nd hand tech was what appealed to them. Thats not really a hard concept that would require an entire series. Basically everything we do today can be done with 2nd hand hardware.

For me it was more about the competition and the difficulty. 

i guess we all different. but its not just computers alot of things people no longer need can find a good second home

They should just go back to basics. No funny rules are challenges. No pre-build systems. Simple build a machine from scratch within a certain budget and lets benchmark at the end.

I personally really enjoyed the season where Linus was in the LA area. I enjoy the Canadian ones also, where they're always out and about hunting.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

I agree. I love almost all of the previous seasons of SW, and have rewatched them all a couple of times, simply because they're fun and entertaining.

But this season was just... meh...

I'd like to see a "back to basics" for a next season, if there will be one. Some suggestions:

- No parts released later than year X (could be 2013 or something like that) may be used in the build. Bonus points for every year older the component is. This both forces a lot of time spent researching parts, and limits the ability to just buy a complete, or almost complete build (since many systems that old will have some upgraded part). It also makes for more suspense, since older parts means a greater risk of faulty parts as well as compatibility issues.

- A strict color theme, where all parts have to be predominantly the specified color, in unmodified form (i.e. you can't paint them). Combined with a tight-ish budget, it should make things interesting.

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 CL18 LPX | GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC + Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

7 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

what was the point of building a PC if the winner is decided on who can fucking win a CSGO match? 

Yeah, I thought they'd at least test the performance since the verdict was literally based on how many hours the contestants had practiced in that game.

I think an interesting concept would be to start with $0 but an old machine. They then have to sell and negotiate to get upgrades parts. They have to have a completely new machine at the end.