High-end Membranes vs. Low-end Mechanicals(Keyboard)

Noob.exe

More often than not Mechanical keyboards beat Membranes hands down but is it always the case?

I ask this because my high end membrane keyboard is great but with all this talk on the ease and use of mechanicals , I've wanted to switch but sadly my budget isn't great so if i do buy a mechanical key board it'll be the lower end ones. 

So if you guys had a choice would you go for a high end membrane or low end mechanical?

Keyboards are not a "X is better than Y" thing. It is 100% personal prefrence and there are oddballs who prefer membrane although they are extremely uncommon. The odds are you will like a cherry MX switch more than a membrane but it is not the end of the world if you are satisfied with your current keyboard.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

What do you mean by "low-end" mechanical? Some "mechanical" keyboards use imitation Cherry MX switches which, although not necessarily a bad thing, may not have been validated for as many key presses as generally accepted. As such, you may be expecting a mechanical keyboard to last you X number of years when in reality is lasts a much shorter time simply because the quality is not there. In this case, buying a higher end membrane from a more reputable brand would be the better option. Of course, you also have cheaper Cherry switch mechanical boards such as CM Storm Quickfire which are more than adequate and would be better than membrane in terms of typing experience, but may lack some added features. 

Low end mechanical. The actual board and plastic housing may be better on a high end membrane, but the switches and typing and gaming experience will be better on the low end mechanical. 

I will never go back to membrane keyboards

Well quality wise mechanical keyboards really aren't low-end imo. But features like 20 macros and fancy lcd screens are not that common on cheaper mechs, sometimes even more expensive ones don't have e.g. macros.

One thing that more expensive mechanical keyboards often have is more lighting modes, but my friend has a ducky and always uses just all keys illuminated, so I don't consider them as that important.

As for macros some cheap ones probably have them

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Keyboards are not a "X is better than Y" thing. It is 100% personal prefrence and there are oddballs who prefer membrane although they are extremely uncommon. The odds are you will like a cherry MX switch more than a membrane but it is not the end of the world if you are satisfied with your current keyboard.

To me it sounded like as if you're about to code the explanation to him, just for that reason I will do it.

String prefs;public static void main(String[] args){prefs = System.getProperty("user.keyboardprefs");System.out.println(prefs.toString()+" is better");}

Thing about low-end mechanicals.

They still have the same switches (assuming you mean Cherry MX boards) So they will always be better.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

To me it sounded like as if you're about to code the explanation to him, just for that reason I will do it.

String prefs;public static void main(String[] args){prefs = System.getProperty("user.keyboardprefs");System.out.println(prefs.toString()+" is better");}

Whadawha?

Whadawha?

basically it gets the users preferences in keyboard and says: {{keyboard preference}} is better

so in theory it says whatever you like is better

That Java though.

#!

Thanks for the feeds , i think I'll opt for the mechanical though to be honest I've never used a mech b4 and I'm still skeptical about how adding resistance makes typing and gaming better.

Thanks for the feeds , i think I'll opt for the mechanical though to be honest I've never used a mech b4 and I'm still skeptical about how adding resistance makes typing and gaming better.

It's like walking on a cement sidewalk for mechanical switches compared to rubber done which are like trekking in dirt. It's more solid and tactical feeling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

To be honest, "low end" mechanical keyboards still have good build quality, so I'd always buy a low end mechanical.

Well my keyboard is a corsair k60, which means it has cherry mx reds, and the function keys (f1, f2, f3....) and the inster, home, pageup, pagedown, delete and end keys are membrane (thx corsair /s) and I prefer mech, the membrane keys just don't feel good, idk, they feel like they a bad quality, so idk, that's my personal preference

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

Actually that's wrong. Mechanical keyboards are better. They're better ergonomically and you should be more concerned about ergonomics than your whining/opinions on how a switch feels.

The difference from a QFR and a Ducky Shine is nothing(aside from stabilizers). Same exact Cherry MX switch and they're both plate mounted so you just spend and extra ~$60 for pretty lights.

The only thing that would be considering a lower end MKB, such as a monoprice keyboard, is that you get a lower build quality, but the switch should still feel the same.

Actually that's wrong. Mechanical keyboards are better. They're better ergonomically and you should be more concerned about ergonomics than your whining/opinions on how a switch feels.

You say "ergonomically" like it is a specific measurable property. Ergonomics are a highly personal preference so no mechanical is not definitively better. Lots of people love the Roccat Kone but I find it an uncomfortable mouse, same with the G700, and I love the deathadder even though others hate the feel of it. So none of these mice are the best same as a mech keyboard is not better than a membrane. Sure 95/100 people prefer it but those 5 people still exist (I know a few). If anything if a switch that feels better it is ergonomic and if a switch feels unsatisfying it is not ergonomic it is simple as that.

You say "ergonomically" like it is a specific measurable property. Ergonomics are a highly personal preference so no mechanical is not definitively better. Lots of people love the Roccat Kone but I find it an uncomfortable mouse, same with the G700, and I love the deathadder even though others hate the feel of it. So none of these mice are the best same as a mech keyboard is not better than a membrane. Sure 95/100 people prefer it but those 5 people still exist (I know a few). If anything if a switch that feels better it is ergonomic and if a switch feels unsatisfying it is not ergonomic it is simple as that.

wot

You're comparing opinions on how a mouse feels to ergonomics of a keyboard. You're just talking about opinions like switch preferences. You don't like how a mouse is shaped has nothing to do with how ergonomic it is. Either way if you're using a mouse you're going to be moving your wrist and applying a grip which both can lead to RSI. 

Your examples of ergonomics are like saying getting an A on a math test is ergonomic and getting an F isn't.

Edit: I realize now that my example is pretty trashy. What I'm trying to say is that an A is something you want or something that you're more inclined to want. Just because you want something, it does not mean it is good for you. A mechanical keyboard is better than a membrane keyboard ergonomically. You can attempt to measure it with studies. If you have a group type on a membrane keyboard 8 hours a day for 10 years, and another group do the exact same, but on a mechanical keyboard (assuming that they're typing properly), they should be in equal or better shape.

You're confusing ergonomics with opinions. Ergonomics can be measured, and opinions can't.

wot

You're comparing opinions on how a mouse feels to ergonomics of a keyboard. You're just talking about opinions like switch preferences. You don't like how a mouse is shaped has nothing to do with how ergonomic it is. Either way if you're using a mouse you're going to be moving your wrist and applying a grip which both can lead to RSI. 

Your examples of ergonomics are like saying getting an A on a math test is ergonomic and getting an F isn't.

Edit: I realize now that my example is pretty trashy. What I'm trying to say is that an A is something you want or something that you're more inclined to want. Just because you want something, it does not mean it is good for you. A mechanical keyboard is better than a membrane keyboard ergonomically. You can attempt to measure it with studies. If you have a group type on a membrane keyboard 8 hours a day for 10 years, and another group do the exact same, but on a mechanical keyboard (assuming that they're typing properly), they should be in equal or better shape.

You're confusing ergonomics with opinions. Ergonomics can be measured, and opinions can't.

Honestly I am not sure you know what ergonomics mean :/ An ergonomic mouse or keyboard or machine gun is a comfortable mouse, keyboard, or machine gun. The durability is a completely different attribute. And in that sense mech beats membrane 10/10 times.

I am not using the mouse as a literal example but I am trying to demonstrate that ergonomics cannot be measured. If a keyboard manufacturer makes some person a keyboard either membrane or mech and that person likes it that then mission accomplished by that KB manufacturer. Odds are it would be mechanical but some still prefer membrane. I manufacturer can design an ergonomic product but if it is extremely uncomfortable than it is not ergonomic. Ergonomics are a matter of opinion.

One thing I forgot to add is that the high end Membrane has a very comfortable ergonomic hand rest but the lower end mech does not. Im gonna miss the hand rest when i make the switch >_<

It's like walking on a cement sidewalk for mechanical switches compared to rubber done which are like trekking in dirt. It's more solid and tactical feeling.

This is really the best way to put it.

I've had a K60 for a week or so which I'm soon selling but that keyboard has the very distinctive fact that it has both mechanical and membrane keys and I really don't think there's a more obvious way to notice how big the difference in feel is than using both at the same time.

As soon as my fingers are getting used to the pressure required to active a mechanical key and I have to press on a membrane key it's not enough to have it activate.

If you like pressing down on keys hard and you're under no desire to lessen the force applied (I've actually met people who've said this) then you might not notice the difference. But if you want to practice pressing with just the right force to activate a mechanical key you'll save yourself some fatigue and will be typing faster.

It's like comparing a rugby player's running to a ninja's. Seriously.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

low end mechanical? I don't think there are. They are all around 100 dollarish and you can get some around 70s on sale. The best membrane keyboard i can think of is the one from dell, but I forgot which one, and I can't comment on it because I haven't used it. So get a mechanical on sale.

It's still personal preference. But sometimes high-end membrane switches are actually more costlier than cheap mechanical keyboards so why not just get the equivalent of that high-end membrane with a mechanical keyboard that fits in that budget? :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62