Is the WD mainstream 2TB good?

GlowingTurtle54

I have recently killed my WD barracuda  2TB and I need a drive ASAP and bestbuy has a 2TB WD mainstream HD for $70. Is it a good drive?

49 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Barracuda compute is 50$ for 2TB.

You know I'm still skeptical of Seagate but not as much as I used to be, I mean nothing beats WD reliability right? :)

11 minutes ago, PrankishTrac said:

You know I'm still skeptical of Seagate but not as much as I used to be, I mean nothing beats WD reliability right? :)

Brand biases are probably some of the worst things to rely on. They're both very good drives. Both can fail.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Both WD and Seagate have bad and good models. 

(Bad as on many fails).

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

BlackBlaze publish comprehensive failure rates of hard drives. They don't test every hard drive but it should give you an slight indication of the reliability of particular brands since a lot of the hard drives from the same brand would leverage similar technologies. Sometimes they have consumer variants of the same enterprise drives.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q3-2019/

They specifically used the Barracuda 4TB and the failure rate is the highest at 2.67% annual. Its not bad but if you can buy something with a lower failure rate and its the same price, might as well go with something else.

In this report they dont use any Western Digital drives. Thats mostly because Western Digital bought out Hitachi and the Hitachi Ultrastars are basically hands down better than the WD Enterprise drives. But previously the WD Gold drives have similar failure rates as the Seagate Enterprise drives around the 1% mark.