PSU power cable connections help

wittydavid

My first time build adventures continue..?

So my graphics card has two 8 pin power connections, I opened my rm650i box and took both pcie power cables.

I notices that at the end that connects to the GPU the cable splits to two -

image.thumb.png.a41f7e758515c17fd92017e15cc45e38.png

Do I connect both the red end and the blue end to the GPU as a 8pin + 8(6+2)pin connections or do I need to take another pcie cable and use two separate cables and use just the red end on both of them?

Examples on Youtube have both people who use custom dedicated 8 pin power for each connections and people who use the cable shown in the pic and connect both ends (red and blue).

My logic tells me that using just one cable will cause for a bigger load on the cable, Am I wrong?

Do I need to use two separate cables and just connect the red end on each?

!!Thank you people

2 minutes ago, wittydavid said:

Do I connect both the red end and the blue end to the GPU as a 8pin + 8(6+2)pin connections

Yes

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, wittydavid said:

My logic tells me that using just one cable will cause for a bigger load on the cable, Am I wrong?

Do I need to use two separate cables and just connect the red end on each?

!!Thank you people

1. Yes, obviously. But if the PSU wasn't designed to handle this load, it wouldn't come with such a cable. It will work fine.

2. You don't need to do that.

Just use the single cable with both the PCIE ends.

PCIE is always 6+2 pin, I think I even see the +2 on the blue circled cable.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Do note if you look closelier both visible ends of the PCIE power cable are 6+2. Just use them.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

@Slottr @Wh0_Am_1 @minibois

Thank you!

So I understand that I need to use the single PCIE cable and connect both ends of that cable (blue and red in my pic) to the GPU - correct?

Sorry for having these kind of obvious questions - this is my first build and i spend a good amount on to so I don't want to mess anything up.

30 minutes ago, wittydavid said:

So I understand that I need to use the single PCIE cable and connect both ends of that cable (blue and red in my pic) to the GPU - correct?

Yes that is exactly what you need to do. 

32 minutes ago, wittydavid said:

Sorry for having these kind of obvious questions - this is my first build and i spend a good amount on to so I don't want to mess anything up.

It's fine, we have all been there.

31 minutes ago, wittydavid said:

Thank you!

Your welcome!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

6 hours ago, wittydavid said:

Correct indeed.

6 hours ago, wittydavid said:

These things may be obvious to some, but I can understand it can be super confusing. We all had to spend time learning this stuff before we understood it all!

Have fun with your new PC!

If you have any other questions, you know where to find this forum :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/