Do You Think Games/movies/softwares Are Sold On Flash Drives Soon?

limetech

Do you think there will come a time when softwares, or games and movies are not sold on DVDs anymore but they come with flash drives?  Flash drives are becoming really cheap today.

Or maybe there are already stuff that are sold on flash drives and I just do not know about them?  :)

It would be pretty cool, but buying games from Steam and other download places is the future.

Yeah I agree, the future will all be cloud based gaming and what not and physical media will not exist

Personally i don't mind games being sold as discs at all, collecting video game boxes are always nice to have.

EUREKA MOMENT: SELL GAMES IN FLASH DRIVES INSIDE BOXES WITH COVER ART - And i'm satisfied :>

Personally i don't mind games being sold as discs at all, collecting video game boxes are always nice to have.

EUREKA MOMENT: SELL GAMES IN FLASH DRIVES INSIDE BOXES WITH COVER ART - And i'm satisfied :>

Genius idea especially since its easier for the companies to transfer data to the flash drive instead of having to burn them which takes longer. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more too, since I'll being getting a flash drive along with my game haha

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Its already happening, I know that VMWare Fusion comes on a memory stick, the memory sticks are read-only which is a shame though (we now have 50 of them at work with no use for them!).

Its pretty essential when you think about it, laptop disc drivers are being sacraficed in a lot of cases to make way for a smaller chassis, so I guess companies need to appeal to that segment aswell as everyone else.

I'd love to have the option of special editions that are digital to come with physical stuff

That'd be great. I love my physical game loot

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Manufacturing a flash drive is far to expensive, DVD's are just insanely cheap!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

No, everything will be on the cloud.

Don't be so sure.

A fully uncompressed Blu-ray movie can be from 35-60GB in size. 4K content is coming which has been estimated to be 100GB in size. Please don't confuse any of this to be comparable with terrible, lossy, compressed x264 encodes at low bit-rates from sources like Netflix or iTunes. Also take note this includes DTS HD Master soundtracks. These tracks are not available in lossy streams. Until fibre is ubiquitous (world-wide), which is still another 15 years away from fruition (an extremely optimistic forecast), physical media for moves in particular is not going anywhere.

Now take into account 8K content which will be coming in another 5 years..

This is what I foresee happening for movies and games. Considering the cost of a 32GB-64GB flash drive, the customisation that could be made to the physical device....it makes sense for games.

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Makes me sad as well.

me also

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Apple sold OSX Lion on Flash drive in stores when that came out, so it has been done before.

I do think that using flash drives as a physical media in stores will be skipped, DVD's and Blu-ray's still have long life in them until we start rolling fibre out everywhere and utilizing direct downloads for everything.

I think we need to go from CDs to flash drives

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

its not there yet but i could see it happening.  I thinkt plastic media is still the cheapiest option when dealing with the size of blurays and other large images.

My concern with flash drives(which id fully embrace if it can be overcome) is that the general quality in some of them can be very flaky and die unexpectedly compared to other mediums.

Imo cloud is the way to go with the ever increasing internet speeds.

If this was to happen we'll just have loads of cheapo flash drives of low quality.

Though I wouldn't mind having a whole wall of a movie collection of a million memory sticks hung up.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

My concern with flash drives(which id fully embrace if it can be overcome) is that the general quality in some of them can be very flaky and die unexpectedly compared to other mediums.

Thats true, but you could always save a copy of the game as a backup. But then again, there would probably be some kind of DRM stopping you from doing that. I would feel more secure having my content on a cd versus a flash drive, just because a flash drive can fail on its own and a cd can last for decades if you take care of them.

when they get a little cheaper they will but in the next 3-5 years i doubt it.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

that's more of a waste than dvd's does, the best solution of this problem is to use cloud, a clean environment is what we need today

Having a ton of flash drives with all your games and movies on would be silly. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I think it would be cool. Developers would be able to make the USB stick in the same design as their video game. For instance I got a Sims 2GB USB stick when I purchased one of the pre-order versions of The Sims 3. It was old stock EB had hanging around and it came with a cool USB :D

Id definatley buy more games if I knew I was getting something cool and pratical. OMG, brain wave...if everything still unlocked with Steam you could format the stick and suddenly you have an awesome USB stick.

3589583760_17fb0404a8_z.jpg

I don't have an issue with Steam. Yes the content is via cloud; but it's still downloaded to your PC and can be run without an Internet connection (unless the developer chooses to block that as a means of DRM). What I am not too keen on is streaming games from the cloud which a few people seem to think is the future.

Regarding physical copies and box art etc; I did used to appreciate them and I did love the smell and excitement of a new box when I was a kid. However over the years I noticed that there was just more and more clutter gathering dust; each time I cleaned and neatened everything up it wouldn't stay that way for long- plus it takes up so much space. Not very romantic I know but in the end have to say I prefer the modern origin / steam method of content delivery. Plus no more scratched disc problems