Do You Think Games/movies/softwares Are Sold On Flash Drives Soon?

limetech

Media in general is on the way out, but it doesn't keep anyone from making a CD/DVD or Flash Drive of their game installer.

The cloud will hold the installer which is a good thing for me as I don't want to have to keep copies of everything, its much easier to log on to which ever game company and just download it when I need it. Also, not all games will run on the cloud, sure your simple games are fine on the cloud but anything really intense will need an intense computer and no cloud will be able to hold that many intense computers, well for a resonable price.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

The rate at which DVDs can be created and printed is was above what you can do with flash drives, however, DVDs will die out.

I personally havn't brought any game/film on DVD for a long time.

it would make things allot cheaper for people cause it will make shipping them allot cheaper, for every DVD of a peice of software u can get about 10-30 flash drives so it would make sense

Character artist in the Games industry.

Having a ton of flash drives with all your games and movies on would be silly. 

have a flashdrive nas lol

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Sold on flash drives? Not going to happen. You would need an 8-16gb usb for each game/movie/program, 8gb flash drive = $7, same cost of around 32 dvds, which can hold 16 copies of the same files. By the time flash drive cost gets as cheap as dvds, there is a good chance dvds would almost be not as popular, or even almost dead.

A good chunk of dvds sold today holds console games and movies. So the next generation consoles would affect the popularity of dvds by quite a lot. If they continue to use dvds as their main source of storing and distributing games, then dvds will still live for another 7 years at least. If they don't and move on to cloud like what PCs already have, then dvd popularity will go down by quite a bit (although not completely die as many programs such as windows os are still sold with dvds).

Movies... I don't know really, I'm not a movie person so I don't know what's going on with it now. I know there's some streaming services that's quite popular like Netflix and I saw news a while ago such as block buster being dead and stuff. It's a rental store though, not a retail store (someone update me on how movie retail stores are doing). So not sure on movies, if they live on even after next generation consoles switch to cloud, then dvd popularity will suffer a bit but not die. If both movies and next generation consoles goes to clouds, then dvd would almost die although as I've mentioned softwares would still be sold on dvds. 

So if both next generation consoles and movies switch to cloud, then dvds would be almost obsolete. External storage device may actually grow in popularity as they would be used for storing downloaded files lol. So in way they would replace dvds. If one or both of them don't switch to cloud then dvds wouldn't lose much popularity and when flash drive costs lower to a point of costing the same as dvds then we could possibly see them taking over dvds.

i don't think so, optical media is so cheap so it will hang on until everything is download only.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |