Win 10 questions, still scary.

VIKINGS

Hello World,

As time goes by and more and more games that I might actually care about start to appear just for winshit 10(*imitating Cartman* I hate you devs) I've begun to ponder my options and have quite a few questions I'd really appreciate everyone's help with.

Starting with the more likely scenario where I would just dualboot I have the following question:

0. If I just dualboot winshit 10 and take out the internet cable from my pc every time before booting into it and keep it unplugged every second I am on it, do I still have to worry about anything?
In other words is there anything that an OS that you have on your hdd/ssd might still be able to do while the internet cable is plugged in even while you are not booted into it?

Moving on to the least likely to ever happen scenario where I would install winshit 10 as my main OS, I have the following questions:

1. Has anyone with the proper skills actually checked to make sure that if you disable telemetry with the option available only in enterprise(setting it to 0 I think it was) that telemetry it actually becomes disabled and the os stops sending anything?

2. By disabling updates following what is written here  does this part really become true "While automatic updates remains disabled, you can still download and install patches manually from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and clicking the Check for updates button."

And will it then make it work just like win 7 where I decide when and which updates get installed, or am I missing something?

3. Is there a way to completely remove cortana or alexa(or whatever piece of trash winshit 10 uses) from the OS, if not if there is a way to fully disable it, and if there is only a way to disable it, again, like question 1, has anyone checked to make sure that it is trully disabled and won't listen in on me whenever I talk into the mic?

4. Is there any way to protect myself from winshit 10 installing games and apps that I don't want without(or even with) my knowledge?

5.  Do I still have to go and redo all the settings and such from the previous four questions after each update?

6. Is there a place that has sort of a roadmap of the features and differences between the builds so I know what I am getting myself into if I were to install the latest one(assuming the nomvember 2019 build is even the best one for me, I'm mainly a gamer)?

7. Assuming I get nr. 2 to work properly and just in case I miss a Techquickie episode, is there a place that tests each new windows build/update where I can go and check before I update so that I can avoid another Octomber update?

Cause the thing is(and I don't care how pathetic or whatnot the following might sound to some people) the PC IS my life(mostly), my collection IS my legacy, and if I were to lose all my files because of a retarded update... I might even go as far as killing myself, no joke or exaggeration.

8. All that I've said so far should give you a pretty clear idea of what I think of winshit 10, is there anything else that I might have missed that you think someone that comes from my point of view should know/worry about?

Thank you.

If you're going to be totally tinfoil hat about it just use a different operating system.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, VIKINGS said:

winshit 10

Why do you have to be such a child about it?

If you already hate Windows 10, then just use another OS...

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Sure guys, no problem, just create/give me another OS that can run all the games I want to play and that doesn't have any of the issues 10 does, and I'll gladly use it.

Till then... the questions remain. :(

9 minutes ago, VIKINGS said:

Sure guys, no problem, just create/give me another OS that can run all the games I want to play and that doesn't have any of the issues 10 does, and I'll gladly use it.

If you're so eager to play these games get a console then.

Trying to avoid data collection would be like trying to not contract a disease in an unmedicated 18th century peasant town. It's 2019, that's how things are now.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

10 minutes ago, VIKINGS said:

You need to choose, use Windows 10 and play your games or use a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint and play some games. 

Or like @Slottr said, buy a console to play your games. 

22 minutes ago, VIKINGS said:

Any and all OSes have always had the update problem you mentioned.  You can’t really avoid it by jumping OSes.  

To make it more annoying modern  consoles collect just as much data as PCs do.  They just have less to collect.

this seems to me like a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too problem.

The most common attempt I’ve heard of to minimize data collection from wi10 is to run Linux and virtualize windows with a pass through for the GPU.  It doesn’t solve all the issues though and creates its own problems.  There are a few distros designed specifically to do this.  It’s a less than ideal way to go.  I looked at it hard and gave up on it.  It’s difficult and fragile and separating data a game requires from mining data is extremely difficult.  I just don’t have the skills.

The problem I think is you want something that is no longer possible to get.  Newly released games only run on systems with built in data collection.  You can refuse to run these systems but in doing so you lose the ability to play the games that only work on them.  A lot of games (not all of them) run on systems that do not have data collection issues.  You can give up the ability to play some games and use one of those instead, or you can open yourself to the winds of corporate data mining.  Should it be this way?  No.  It doesn’t need to be either.  It seems to be the way it is though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

52 minutes ago, VIKINGS said:

Then build a Windows PC that's exclusively for games and is possibly on a separate network or virtual network and have another computer to do all your other stuff.

Or play games on a console.

You're that kind of guy that says Windows 10 sucks. Seriously, is that still a thing? Calling it "Winshit" is a bit childish, in my opinion, but could you tell me if you have any experience with Windows 10, and if you do, why you hate it so much? Have you actually used Windows 10, before? Windows 10 is not perfect, by any means, and there have been fuck-ups in certain updates, but is there a good enough reason as to why it's a "shit" operating system?

58 minutes ago, VIKINGS said:

Cause the thing is(and I don't care how pathetic or whatnot the following might sound to some people) the PC IS my life(mostly), my collection IS my legacy, and if I were to lose all my files because of a retarded update... I might even go as far as killing myself, no joke or exaggeration

Also, I don't mean to be a dick, but what in the fuck?

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

1 hour ago, VIKINGS said:

Cause the thing is(and I don't care how pathetic or whatnot the following might sound to some people) the PC IS my life(mostly), my collection IS my legacy, and if I were to lose all my files because of a retarded update... I might even go as far as killing myself, no joke or exaggeration.

Because @Bruno_A pointed this out

If you don't have a backup system in place, that's kind of your fault. Data loss can happen regardless of what OS you use.

48 minutes ago, VIKINGS said:

that doesn't have any of the issues 10 does

Oh god, people like you are the worst... 

Any slight issue you have with Windows 10, you start making mountains out of molehills. The tiniest issue you have, you make it sound like the earths going to explode. Honestly people like you make my head hurt.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

Well... That's why you should have at least one backup... 

Just make another PC seperate from the GODLY DATA stash you don't want them seeing. Aka a small separated (also backed up again) File server LitePC for a file stash, and your Gaming PC using Windows 10.

Leaving your data out of it...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Because @Bruno_A pointed this out

If you don't have a backup system in place, that's kind of your fault. Data loss can happen regardless of what OS you use.

This is true, even if Windows 10 updates could not affect your data in any way, you're still vulnerable if you don't have any type of backup solution in place. As far as I'm aware, you're more likely to lose your date from user error, than a Windows 10 update.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

People like OP come and go every time there's a new product. When Windows 7 launched, they screamed at the top of their lungs they'll always stay in Windows XP and never install the "Winshit" 7. When 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 screens kept getting popular, they swore to God they're "useless and too big" and that they'd stay with their 1024x768, which is more than enough for them. When phones with touchscreens kept getting better, they kept being smug and snarky and speak how they'll always use their trusty feature phone or flip phone.

Point is, every time any kind of something new launches, you always meet the kind of people who desperately want to feel smarter by forcibly being contrarian to the trend, and there's not much you can do about it. As they say, you can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Well, I see trying to give this forum another chance after the last couple years was a great idea!!!(that was sarcasm btw)

Thanks for not trying to answer even one of my questions folks and instead just trolling/lecturing me.

I'm out. Bye.

P.S. You can close the account moderators, thank you.

trolling

We're trolling you? 

Don't make me laugh...

زندگی از چراغ

P.S. You can close the account moderators, thank you.

We can't.

Use the following form if you want to close your account ;

https://linustechtips.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

*Thread locked*

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !