Added 1 more fan , temps higher

Matpc

I added two fans in my case

One in the back and one in the front(middle)

Now i´ve decided to put one more at the front ( up in the front ) and temps are somehow worse

I was getting 70c gpu and 70c cpu in battlefield 3 multiplayer with 2 fans

Now i´m getting 75c both cpu gpu (tested same map , same settings)

Is there something i´m doing wrong? The fan does spin as i´ve checked and it is the same model as the previous two

Is it bad to put one in the middle and one up?

Where should i put the third or should i just leave with 2 fans?

Thank you

9 minutes ago, Matpc said:

depends on the air flow, pusher puller fans placement too

5 degrees aint much at all

There’s positive pressure, negative pressure, and neutral pressure.  With one in one out you have a fairly neutral pressure case.  Possibly a hair one way or the other depending on how the case is laid  out.  With 2 up front you have positive pressure.  There are advantages, mostly having to do with dust, and negative ones.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s positive pressure, negative pressure, and neutral pressure.  With one in one out you have a fairly neutral pressure case.  Possibly a hair one way or the other depending on how the case is laid  out.  With 2 up front you have positive pressure.  There are advantages, mostly having to do with dust, and negative ones.

So it is actually worse putting it in this position

Should i put i front down or top or just leave two?

Thank you

7 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

depends on the air flow, pusher puller fans placement too

5 degrees aint much at all

I bought one more to help cpu ( since i have 1 front middle but i´ve wanted to add 1 front but up to the cpu since the middle has one for gpu)

I thought this would help but it is actually worse

Should i put it in a different place or should i just leave two?

Thank you

4 minutes ago, Matpc said:

So it is actually worse putting it in this position

Should i put i front down or top or just leave two?

Thank you

The idea with fans is to create air flow. If you have a 2/1 split that’s pretty uneven pressure.  Adding 2 more fans, 1 in and one more out would make more neutral air flow.  Adding just the one might create more airflow in a particular place.  You’d have to experiment.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The idea with fans is to create air flow. If you have a 2/1 split that’s pretty uneven pressure.  Adding 2 more fans, 1 in and one more out would make more neutral air flow.  Adding just the one might create more airflow in a particular place.  You’d have to experiment.

But i currently have 3

Having 1 front 1 back and 1 top is better?

I´m pretty tired of swapping fans xD

Thank you

9 minutes ago, Matpc said:

But i currently have 3

Having 1 front 1 back and 1 top is better?

I´m pretty tired of swapping fans xD

Thank you

I don’t know if it’s better or not.  It might be better, it might be worse.  This is airflow.  It’s analog.  There are some very general rules, but a lot of it is going to be how the air happens to swirl in that case with those fans and those parts in that configuration.

It’s complicated

enough that people build wind tunnels to check airflow.  Only recently have supercomputers even gotten powerful enough to model airflow and they still do testing in wind tunnels to verify it.

When I did the airflow on my case I wound up buying more than half a dozen different fans and wound up with 5 actually in the case.  

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

depends on the case but usually no since rear and top fans will fight over airflow

I have 2 front intakes and top+right side (behind mobo) exhausts and temps are good, if I add a left side intake they get worse so it's trial and error I guess.

I did some tests

1 front 1 back cpu was 74 peak and gpu 72 peak

2 front 1 back cpu was 75 peak and gpu 78 peak

1 front 1 back 1 top cpu was 73 peak and gpu 71 peak

Well i guess there is not much improvement adding a third fan since using 2 was most beneficial

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Pressure has very little if any to do with temps. It has more to do with how much and where dust enters the case. Overall airflow is what matters and where air is going.

8 hours ago, Matpc said:

I did some tests

1 front 1 back cpu was 74 peak and gpu 72 peak

2 front 1 back cpu was 75 peak and gpu 78 peak

1 front 1 back 1 top cpu was 73 peak and gpu 71 peak

Well i guess there is not much improvement adding a third fan since using 2 was most beneficial

Can you post pic of inside the case? Or tell which case, CPU cooler, GPU etc. you are using? Since this is mainly about airflow, I would be interested to know what kind of CPU cooler benefits more for exhaust instead of intake.

E: And also why GPU gets that hot. Only reason I can think of is that you have GPU and CPU fan curves set as auto and they are adjusting differently when fan placements change. This would require some more testing, and you recording each fan rpm along with temps you are getting.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Pressure has very little if any to do with temps. It has more to do with how much and where dust enters the case. Overall airflow is what matters and where air is going.

Can you post pic of inside the case? Or tell which case, CPU cooler, GPU etc. you are using? Since this is mainly about airflow, I would be interested to know what kind of CPU cooler benefits more for exhaust instead of intake.

E: And also why GPU gets that hot. Only reason I can think of is that you have GPU and CPU fan curves set as auto and they are adjusting differently when fan placements change. This would require some more testing, and you recording each fan rpm along with temps you are getting.

I would get about 82 degrees on gpu and about 80 cpu when my case did not have any fans

I have 3 https://www.terabyteshop.com.br/produto/9466/cooler-para-gabinete-deepcool-xfan-120mm-dp-fdc-xf120

And this is my case https://www.pichau.com.br/gabinete-pichau-gamin-dragoon-r-led-rgb-lateal-em-vidro-temp-pgdr-01-rgb?gclid=Cj0KCQiArdLvBRCrARIsAGhB_sxyvlSodyGjYL2POp-01xPfBbVsn7gvXVdlmXaek-RN97tcrvLki9UaApAYEALw_wcB

I have a i5 9400f and a 1060 6gb

When playing single player games (60fps locked) these temperatures are way low

I have 70~75 when playing multiplayer games ( since i play with v sync off , cpu and gpu have higher temperatures)

I have 1 fan in the back and one in the front middle

Added one more in front up and temps got worse

Also tested on top but not much improvement

I also use default fan curve for both cpu and gpu

Is your room temperature higher because it’s winter and you’re running the heat?

1 hour ago, StarsMars said:

Is your room temperature higher because it’s winter and you’re running the heat?

Since i live in brazil , temps are high and yet it is hot now

Surprisingly enough , adding the third one in the front down actually helped the gpu ( 4 degrees)

I think i´m going to leave it there and also top fans are very ugly xD they make the case look very ugly

But anyway , i think i´ve found the right place for the third

1 hour ago, Matpc said:

Since i live in brazil , temps are high and yet it is hot now

Surprisingly enough , adding the third one in the front down actually helped the gpu ( 4 degrees)

I think i´m going to leave it there and also top fans are very ugly xD they make the case look very ugly

But anyway , i think i´ve found the right place for the third

That's more what I expected. I think some of this is related to automatic fan control, but results are still bit odd.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

51 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

That's more what I expected. I think some of this is related to automatic fan control, but results are still bit odd.

Do you have a fan curve? I don´t like adjusting fans that much but my temps are about 70 degrees while gaming both cpu gpu

60 fps locked games these temperatures are way low ( 60 gpu 55 cpu)

I´m only getting 70 in multiplayer games since i play unlocked

4 minutes ago, Matpc said:

Do you have a fan curve? I don´t like adjusting fans that much but my temps are about 70 degrees while gaming both cpu gpu

60 fps locked games these temperatures are way low ( 60 gpu 55 cpu)

I´m only getting 70 in multiplayer games since i play unlocked

I have, but it's more about controlling noise than temps. I don't mind having bit higher temps while gaming as long as they are under the 85C hot levels. This is mainly with GPU which goes to 80C with fan limited to 60%.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

How are you orienting the fans? Are you using a stock Intel cooler? It blows air downwards, so if you surround it with exhaust, you could be robbing it from sufficient airflow. What style of cooler does your GPU have? Where does your PSU intake its air (namely is it helping exhaust air the GPU heats up, if it doesn't exhaust its own air)?