Is ISP always better?

Gamer Schnitzel

I have been looking at monitors and I don't find any website online that tells you that ISP panels are definitely better than TN and yet this is what people always say.

Is ISP by default always the better panel to purchase if all other specs are the same?

I think you mean IPS, and no, one is not always better, it's a matter of priorities.  TN switch faster which is desirable for high refresh rate gaming monitors with minimal motion blur.  IPS has vastly better viewing angles so images look nicer.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

IPS.

Traditionally IPS has had better colour accuracy but with slower response times. TN has traditionally had better response times but less accurate colour.

The gap this narrowed quite a bit over the last few years. These days we are where for the vast majority of people, an IPS panel is fast enough.

-アパゾ

when you have always in you question, ans is mostly no

tn have better response time & no ips glow

38 minutes ago, APasz said:

These days we are where for the vast majority of people, an IPS panel is fast enough.

its at the point where VA is fast enough for most people. and since those are cheap enough to rival TN, it just makes TN look bad for most purposes outside of fast pased shooters. 

Okay guys... then if what you are saying is true, can someone please tell me why the flag ship 1080 monitors of several huge companies like ASUS and whatever, are always TN?

Tech is developed sufficiently for IPS to be 1ms, etc, so why do these companies not make their super duper expensive 1080 monitors not IPS? Like Zowie is TN. ASUS ROG is also TN if I recall. Why?

They use TN because they're marketed towards gamers, those who want high refresh rate.

The amount of time it takes for one pixel to change color varies, it depends if you change that pixel from a shade of gray to another shade of gray or if you change from a particular color to a totally different color (ex red to bright green).

In some situations, you can get 1 ms transition time, in other cases you may have up to 10-15 ms.  Good IPS panels will have an average of 6-8ms of time until the pixel settles to a new color.

TN is overall faster in all scenarios, which make them more suitable for 144 Hz or higher. 

Think of it like this : at 144 Hz, each frame must be shown on screen within 1000ms / 144 = 7ms. The processor in the monitor will probably need 1-3ms to decode the frame and get it prepared in the format the panel actually expects and then the processor starts changing the pixels, so you have less than around 5ms.

With a TN panel, they can flip those pixels in much less than that, but some pixels in a VA or IPS panels will need more than 5ms to settle down to the new color.

Some TN panels are also 6 bit per color + FRC ... this makes them faster compared to 8bit TN panels but they can reproduce less colors (only ~ 260k colors instead of 16 millions) but that FRC is used to trick your eyes into "seeing" more colors... Basically in very simple words, that FRC changes the color of a pixel between multiple values at a very fast rate, and your eyes mix the different colors together into a new color that otherwise the panel can not reproduce.

Okay guys so what I am understanding now is that depending on my Hz requirements IPS is always better. I see that the IPS with the most Hz is 165 so I am assuming that if I wanted 240Hz I have no choice but to go with TN.

I am happy with 144Hz so I assume I should therefore buy IPS. This one has 1ms reaction time so from what I understand this monitor should have the best of all worlds as long I am happy with it being 1080p and 144Hz?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y3RYLVH

I want to buy a good monitor with good colours and whatever but I am not sure how to distinguish them. Can someone tell me if the one I linked is good and if there is a stat I can check to see if it has good colours and so on?

7 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I have been looking at monitors and I don't find any website online that tells you that ISP panels are definitely better than TN and yet this is what people always say.

Is ISP by default always the better panel to purchase if all other specs are the same?

No.

There are 3 different panel types, each with pros and cons.

TN are fast, good for gaming. But look like ass with low contrast, grey blacks, poor viewing angles and usually not very uniform.

IPS have good color gamut, and good viewing angles, but suffer IPS glow and uniformity issues. They are slower than TN also.

VA, have great contrast and black levels, relatively good colors, and can be some of the best in regards to uniformity, but are slow; especially in regards to the 0-20% transitions (dark scenes), and have poor viewing angles.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Please comment on the monitor I linked in my last post. What I am finding is that the monitor I linked is one of the only ones that have a IPS panel, 1080p, 1ms reaction time and 144Hz.

Why? Why are major companies like ASUS not making them if it is possible? It makes me feel like I am making a mistake by wanting to buy it.

25 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Please comment on the monitor I linked in my last post. What I am finding is that the monitor I linked is one of the only ones that have a IPS panel, 1080p, 1ms reaction time and 144Hz.

Why? Why are major companies like ASUS not making them if it is possible? It makes me feel like I am making a mistake by wanting to buy it.

For the monitor u posted here is the only tested review i found.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-24g2u-24g2/

Not a bad little budget monitor.

So the reason ur finding it hard to find 1ms IPS budget displays is because for one, no display is technically 1ms. The response time specification seen in spec sheets is a rather pointless spec. Its very misleading and never in line with the real world response time of the monitor. Response time is more than just a single number, then number manufacturers give is always cherry picked and usually only achievable under very specific circumstances. E.G very high overdrive.

The LG 27GL83A-B is advertised as a 1ms display, the Asus ROG swift PG279Q is advertised as a 4ms display. They are both in reality very similar in response time. (~3ms average 80%, and ~8ms average 100%)

Second reason is IPS tends to be found on more expensive monitors rather than budget ones.

Asus do have a few good IPS displays, the VG279Q is one of the more popular examples of a 1080p 144hz IPS display. But because IPS is usually found on mid range to high end displays more commonly ull find 1440p and 4k resolution displays.

IPS is more expensive to make than TN, hence why u dont find many budget IPS displays and u find lots of budget TN displays.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

13 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

For the monitor u posted here is the only tested review i found.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-24g2u-24g2/

Not a bad little budget monitor.

So the reason ur finding it hard to find 1ms IPS budget displays is because for one, no display is technically 1ms. The response time specification seen in spec sheets is a rather pointless spec. Its very misleading and never in line with the real world response time of the monitor. Response time is more than just a single number, then number manufacturers give is always cherry picked and usually only achievable under very specific circumstances. E.G very high overdrive.

The LG 27GL83A-B is advertised as a 1ms display, the Acer predator XB271HU is advertised as a 4ms display. They are both in reality very similar in response time. (~3ms average 80%, and ~8ms average 100%)

Second reason is IPS tends to be found on more expensive monitors rather than budget ones.

Asus do have a few good IPS displays, the VG279Q is one of the more popular examples of a 1080p 144hz IPS display. But because IPS is usually found on mid range to high end displays more commonly ull find 1440p and 4k resolution displays.

IPS is more expensive to make than TN, hence why u dont find many budget IPS displays and u find lots of budget TN displays.

According to your review they are praising the VA counterpart of the monitor I linked. So basically they're saying that the VA monitor is better than the IPS one bcause it had better constrasts?

So is this better then?

https://www.cclonline.com/product/aoc-c24g1-curved-gaming-monitor-23-6-inch-1920-x-1080-full-hd-va-panel-amd-freesync-144hz-black-c24g1/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-ZY8pfNDWsLS0N41qdo1EBw

4 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

According to your review they are praising the VA counterpart of the monitor I linked. So basically they're saying that the VA monitor is better than the IPS one bcause it had better constrasts?

So is this better then?

https://www.cclonline.com/product/aoc-c24g1-curved-gaming-monitor-23-6-inch-1920-x-1080-full-hd-va-panel-amd-freesync-144hz-black-c24g1/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-ZY8pfNDWsLS0N41qdo1EBw

In addition what I put in my first post, VA is also a popular technology, with its claim to fame being better contrast, yes.  It also has nicer viewing angles than a TN, but not as good as IPS.  TN tends to have gamma vary strongly with one axis (usually vertically), where as VA experiences saturation loss and colour shift radially outward.  IPS for all intents and purposes is basically unaffected by angle unless you go to a silly extreme.

Again, it's a matter of priorities.  Each has their pros and cons.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

20 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

So is this better then?

They do indeed praise the VA 'counterpart' however do note that despite the praise it still suffers from classic VA slow pixel response.

At 144hz Strong overdrive and lvl 10 BFI, the moving image clarity is supposedly good, but they do still mention situations where slow pixel speed causes ghosting.

if your ok with that then yea the VA version will look better.

in the end its likely your simply goign to have to just buy one and try it out , if u dont like it , send it back and get the other one. if you goign to do that i would suggest starting with the VA 1st.