Why is everyone using "Water Cooling Fittings"

Hello,

I just wanted to ask all you water cooling people out there if you're using hose/pipe fittings designed for watercooling?

I recently installed the EKWB Monoblock on my X570-F Gaming Board and it is my first water cooled PC.

All the stuff I've seen on youtube before everyone is using expensive fittings that are designed for PC water cooling, but why don't use industrial air hose fittings, all of them are availiable with any possible thread in any possible angle and form and they are mostly much cheaper. Also ultra durable and designed to hold up to 20bar for decades.

I work in a big company where I gott some of them for a cup of coffee for the depot man. But even if you buy them they are way cheaper and will shurely never fail, we use those fittings for 8bar of compressed air in constantly heat changing envoirements and in the last 6 years I worked there not one failed.

For example on my block I've Stasto PI12-12-14-N-0 fittings, they are nickel plated what's great for my water Block and cost about 3$ a piece. But there are even cheaper ones out of Black Plastic which are still very durable and also I find them very cool looking.

So what about you guys any of you ever used such fittings for a water cooling, or didn't you even know those exist or don't you like the design?

I'm curious about you oppinions.

I should also say that for those quick fittings it's very importend that the outer diameter of the hose/pipe you stick in has to be perfectly right otherwise they will leak for shure, if someone plans to use such things now.

well, usually we don't use that stuff because it looks kinda shitty. also, the hoses available for fittings like that are generally just not great looking either.

the pro's of using actual watercooling gear are these among others:

-you don't risk losing your warranty when a block fails and leaks on the electronics. usually warranty for watercooling hardware reads that you need to use watercooling hardware.

-fittings made for the application are bound to be more optimized. usually with bigger holes for more waterflow (usually, not always)

-if you want to use hardline tubing, those industrial fittings are not going to work.

aesthetics

Normal pluming hardware doesnt fit the aesthetic of most builds.

They look perfectly fine in a 'steampunk' theme however.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

18 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

-you don't risk losing your warranty when a block fails and leaks on the electronics. usually warranty for watercooling hardware reads that you need to use watercooling hardware.

Good point but I don't expect my new EK Block to fail.

-fittings made for the application are bound to be more optimized. usually with bigger holes for more waterflow (usually, not always)

I don't believe that, I've never seen "Water Cooling Fittings" in RL but I'm quite shure industrial fittings are better optimized for Flow because the multi Million Commpany that design those are more the Cutting edge lead of fitting technology. Also that's a reason why they/ or I mostly use quick fittings because they don't restrict in any way.

-if you want to use hardline tubing, those industrial fittings are not going to work.

Yes they do, I did 12mm Plexi Tubing but not bend only straight lines with angele pieces beacuse I like the look, but no Problem with hard tubing if the outer diameter of the Tubing is perfectly correct, atleast with the quick fittings.

41 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Hello,

I just wanted to ask all you water cooling people out there if you're using hose/pipe fittings designed for watercooling?

I recently installed the EKWB Monoblock on my X570-F Gaming Board and it is my first water cooled PC.

All the stuff I've seen on youtube before everyone is using expensive fittings that are designed for PC water cooling, but why don't use industrial air hose fittings, all of them are availiable with any possible thread in any possible angle and form and they are mostly much cheaper. Also ultra durable and designed to hold up to 20bar for decades.

I work in a big company where I gott some of them for a cup of coffee for the depot man. But even if you buy them they are way cheaper and will shurely never fail, we use those fittings for 8bar of compressed air in constantly heat changing envoirements and in the last 6 years I worked there not one failed.

For example on my block I've Stasto PI12-12-14-N-0 fittings, they are nickel plated what's great for my water Block and cost about 3$ a piece. But there are even cheaper ones out of Black Plastic which are still very durable and also I find them very cool looking.

So what about you guys any of you ever used such fittings for a water cooling, or didn't you even know those exist or don't you like the design?

I'm curious about you oppinions.

I should also say that for those quick fittings it's very importend that the outer diameter of the hose/pipe you stick in has to be perfectly right otherwise they will leak for shure, if someone plans to use such things now.

It can work we use Festo stainless fittings for watercooling systems in industrial applications, as said most use it for the aesthetic look but it's not a problem to use brass or stainless based fittings such as for plumbing in watercooling loops long as they have the G1/4" thread. 

Couple reasons.

1st, Aesthetics.

2nd, Warranty.

-アパゾ

5 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

aesthetics

Normal pluming hardware doesnt fit the aesthetic of most builds.

They look perfectly fine in a 'steampunk' theme however.

I've seen fittings that look exactly the same as alphacool or thermaltake fittings in our companny, but I don't know the brand.

Also the SC12-11,6/9-14-A in black anodized aluminium look quite awsome.

most people probably don't have the expertise or time to research industrial fittings. They just get what is labeled for water cooling. same thing with oil filters for my truck, Dodge specs one filter size, but there are about 3 or 4 different sizes speced for different trucks that will work and allow me to use more oil while getting more filtration. most people don't know that. I'm the kind of person would would straight up use pex tubes and shark bite fittings with a automotive heatr core or aux trans cooler to create a custom water cooler though ^_^ (I eventualy will too. just need money and time lol)

Fittings are a small part of any build.  Not worth my time to source other fittings.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

8 minutes ago, Xplo1t said:

Fittings are a small part of any build.  Not worth my time to source other fittings.

Well my build had like 27 fittings so if all the sudden they were like half the price that would add up pretty quick

1 minute ago, Ravendarat said:

Well my build had like 27 fittings so if all the sudden they were like half the price that would add up pretty quick

Even at $10 per fitting, that's only $270.  Not worth my time.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

Just now, Xplo1t said:

Even at $10 per fitting, that's only $270.  Not worth my time.

That would depend on who you are, for some people thats a ton of money, for others not so much. But if you are trying to build with a budget in mind, saving $270 there would allow you to move up a couple levels on your processor, or a level in GPU or whatever. I get what you mean though

Because most wont actually work. Not sure what blocks you use that can take all that tread. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

7 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

That would depend on who you are, for some people thats a ton of money, for others not so much. But if you are trying to build with a budget in mind, saving $270 there would allow you to move up a couple levels on your processor, or a level in GPU or whatever. I get what you mean though

At this point you`re likely just getting an air cooler then, at 80 bucks either the DRP4 and NH-D15 will do more than fine enough for any mainstream build so I kinda get his point that usually enthusiast watercooling is no longer something where you get into with cheap up mentality.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

20 hours ago, Plermpel said:

Hello,

They look nice, are comfortable to work with and easier to find. I don't even know where I could find g1/4 fittings, maybe a hw store?

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II