Clean Windows and I mean really clean

Gamer Schnitzel

I always hated Windows cause it's just so messy with its folders.

Soon I will be building my new PC and obviously installing Windows from scratch.

I was thinking... since in teh very beginning I wil have zero personal files on the computer.. could I perhaps go into the hard drive and simply put every single file on "Hidden"?

That way every file that would be created would be mine and I could always track all the trash files that are created and never deleted even if the program uninstalls.

Is this something I could do to make it less cluttery?

4 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I always hated Windows cause it's just so messy with its folders.

I'm going to go a different route here for a moment.

I'm no fan of Windows either, but since the "invention" of the User folder, the only things you create go there. It's very clean. Docs in docs, Downloads in downloads, Music in music, etc.

Yes, you can choose to change those rules, but by default it's not cluttered at all.

Program files go where they need to go, and the Widows folder gets the rest.

But if you are talking about setting the icon/folder flag to "hidden", I have no idea what that might do to a program, chances are, nothing at all, but it really wouldn't solve anything, since you shouldnt be mucking about in the Program Files and Windows directory to begin with, so what's in there is of no importance 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I am not talking about JUST Windows folder but literally all folders that are there in the beginning. I don't like it because apps are installed there and over time a ton of files are created that stay there even after you delete a program and you never really know what's what.

I don't think it should have an impact on the PC because the computer is able to open and work with files that are hidden, they follow a file path anyway. I think this is a good idea? I'm just a bit ocd

It is what it is.
Besides choosing another OS (which all of them use various folders for their files) theres not much option.

And dont even get me started for when you put in an SSD for OS, then you would want all you documents and stuff on the other driver thus more folders. It is what it is.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

14 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I am not talking about JUST Windows folder but literally all folders that are there in the beginning. I don't like it because apps are installed there and over time a ton of files are created that stay there even after you delete a program and you never really know what's what.

I don't think it should have an impact on the PC because the computer is able to open and work with files that are hidden, they follow a file path anyway. I think this is a good idea? I'm just a bit ocd

Setting files hidden won't remove issues like files left behind on uninstall. Simply because software don't create files to single folder, and this is something you can't control. Most software will create at least two folder. One for main components and other for user based settings. Some will have more than that. Only way to control files on Windows is to do it fully manually. Or create some really intelligent automation, or use 3rd party uninstallers (which may cause more harm than good).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I assume that you're some kind of clean freak. My advice is to change your habits. Do not compare computer virtual mess to mess on your physical desktop. It's like being maniac of creating too many subdirectories for files (opposite to your problem, but exists). This is computer - virtual folders do not flow out of your computer, your disk does not physically grow etc.

Want to have clean system? Do not use standard shortcut to explorer. Create own directory on C drive and make shortcut to it on desktop. And use only that folder.