Linus office upgrade video problematic

Nene

So I couldn't find a way to bring this up privately, but there's something that's bugging me from the Linus office upgrade video. It probably means everything to me but nothing to most people.

At 18:16 Linus starts reading a quote off the poster that YouTube sent them, and finishes up " ... which I took to mean that someone at YouTube figures I'm differently abled." There's some laughter and it's made a bit of a joke of. Like I said, I didn't want to put this up publicly but I can't find a different way to do this.

First of all, using the phrase 'differently abled' was an in-thing for a while, but mostly now comes across as being condescending, or as if talking about a disability is somehow shameful or to be avoided. To be honest it was probably better than some of the things it replaced, but it's still not appropriate. I'm disabled, and it stung.

Secondly, come on, disabilities aren't a joke. That's just not cool.

I'm not looking for a big deal, or a song and dance, some big apology or something. I just wanted to say to someone "this isn't cool, and I think you should change it in future" and to have some acknowledgement that it wasn't done in the best way it could have been, and that you'll try to avoid it happening again. In my turn I acknowledge that making this number of videos on this schedule is really hard, and that mistakes happen, or some words can come across in a different spirit to what they were said. A little mistake doesn't detract from the massive body of good work that LTT does, but you know I just wanted to speak up.

YouTube is a platform where people can speak openly, and objectively. What he said wasn't ill-natured by any definition of the word, and I think if anybody is even remotely offended by what he said, then they need to do a little soul-searching and open their mind a little.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

8 minutes ago, Nene said:

So I couldn't find a way to bring this up privately, but there's something that's bugging me from the Linus office upgrade video. It probably means everything to me but nothing to most people.

At 18:16 Linus starts reading a quote off the poster that YouTube sent them, and finishes up " ... which I took to mean that someone at YouTube figures I'm differently abled." There's some laughter and it's made a bit of a joke of. Like I said, I didn't want to put this up publicly but I can't find a different way to do this.

First of all, using the phrase 'differently abled' was an in-thing for a while, but mostly now comes across as being condescending, or as if talking about a disability is somehow shameful or to be avoided. To be honest it was probably better than some of the things it replaced, but it's still not appropriate. I'm disabled, and it stung.

Secondly, come on, disabilities aren't a joke. That's just not cool.

I'm not looking for a big deal, or a song and dance, some big apology or something. I just wanted to say to someone "this isn't cool, and I think you should change it in future" and to have some acknowledgement that it wasn't done in the best way it could have been, and that you'll try to avoid it happening again. In my turn I acknowledge that making this number of videos on this schedule is really hard, and that mistakes happen, or some words can come across in a different spirit to what they were said. A little mistake doesn't detract from the massive body of good work that LTT does, but you know I just wanted to speak up.

I noticed that too.

Then so did he... he noted how bad that comment sounds out of context.   He was talking about how the XBox adaptive controller was pretty good for an accessibility device.  I could state my own opinion but I will instead refer to this thoughtful writing about the issue of that phrase. 

https://www.autistichoya.com/2013/08/differently-abled.html

"The problem arises when the term "differently abled" is used to refer to an individual disabled person."

ll instead refer to this thoughtful writing about the issue of that phrase. Now that writing is from the perspective of reclaiming the term "disabled" as being positive.  However I am certain not all disabled or differently abled people feel the same.  My sister says, of herself " My brain is different... and that's ok".  To her thinking of herself as different is something that makes her smile.  

Marginalized groups all have terminologies and not all members agree on what they prefer.  I am a male to female transsexual... there are people like me who like that word... there are others who insist it is offensive that I use that word.  There are people who spend their lives arguing over which word is better.    When considering what people outside of a marginalized group use most people consider the intent.  

Linus clearly intended no harm, at all.  He used a term a large number of disabled/differenly abled people like.   He did not set out to hurt anyone.  He perhaps should regret that he did ... but there is no single word he could use that wouldn't be offensive to someone or the other.  

CGP Grey made a great video about this sort of topic. 

I'm not even sure what the politically correct term is anymore, I don't think anybody really knows.

You can't say "disabled person", can't say "differently abled" now apparently, what is anyone supposed to say? 

I've heard "person who has a disability" is the newly approved version, but that's absurd. It's not really grammatically intuitive and goes against all of the other ways we apply descriptors to humans. We don't say "male who possesses Asian DNA", we say "Asian male" and nobody seems to care. Why is this different?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

15 minutes ago, Statik said:

YouTube is a platform where people can speak openly, and objectively. What he said wasn't ill-natured by any definition of the word, and I think if anybody is even remotely offended by what he said, then they need to do a little soul-searching and open their mind a little.

This, right here, is why I tried to find some way to bring it up in private.

Please read what I said.

1 minute ago, Nene said:

Please read what I said.

I read exactly what you said. What's your point?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

I'm not even sure what the politically correct term is anymore, I don't think anybody really knows.

You can't say "disabled person", can't say "differently abled" now apparently, what is anyone supposed to say? 

I just can't get over people who say "politically correct" in actual conversation. It just looks like a way to minimise the consequences of being an ass.

You can say whatever you want, you're not supposed to say anything! What I'm saying is "this hurt me, consider changing it" which presumably means that it's going to get further piled on with something about how fragile I must be to be hurt like that.

1 minute ago, Nene said:

I just can't get over people who say "politically correct" in actual conversation. It just looks like a way to minimise the consequences of being an ass.

You can say whatever you want, you're not supposed to say anything! What I'm saying is "this hurt me, consider changing it" which presumably means that it's going to get further piled on with something about how fragile I must be to be hurt like that.

You can't be serious... Now you're triggered by the phrase "politically correct"?!

What in the world are people supposed to say? You're complaining about how these widely used and socially accepted phrases are upsetting you, yet you absolutely fail to provide any example of what terminology you'd rather have people use. 

"This hurt me, consider changing it."

TO WHAT?!

4 minutes ago, Statik said:

I read exactly what you said. What's your point?

Where did I say I was offended? Where did I say that anyone was offended? Where did I even say that what he said was meant as ill-natured?

I even addressed that it wasn't intended in any sort of bad way.

This just makes it so tiring

10 minutes ago, Nene said:

Please read what I said.

https://www.linusmediagroup.com/contact-us

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

3 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

You can't be serious... Now you're triggered by the phrase "politically correct"?!

"This hurt me, consider changing it."

TO WHAT?!

... and using the term triggered is all about minimising the impact your words have on other people.

Seems ironic that you're the one being so angry? I dunno, I just wanted to say something, to make the world just a little better.

As for to what? Well I don't have that answer, as much as I would love to, I've no editorial input and that's fine too. I'm a set of eyeballs here. I figure some folks who are smarter than me could give some advice, like the National Center on Disability and Journalism and they seem to be pretty on top of things.

1 minute ago, Nene said:

... and using the term triggered is all about minimising the impact your words have on other people.

Seems ironic that you're the one being so angry? I dunno, I just wanted to say something, to make the world just a little better.

As for to what? Well I don't have that answer, as much as I would love to, I've no editorial input and that's fine too. I'm a set of eyeballs here. I figure some folks who are smarter than me could give some advice, like the National Center on Disability and Journalism and they seem to be pretty on top of things.

You can't just say stuff offends you and provide no reason or solution without people criticizing it. You keep saying I'm minimizing you by using terms like "politically correct" or "triggered", yet these are words that the social movements themselves use. Is there a new set of words that I'm unaware of?

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

You can't just say stuff offends you

but ... I didn't? I'm not offended.

Uttamattamakin made the best point so far, that some people prefer it. She's right as well. To some it is hurtful though.

Overall it's not a big deal, it's not like a pattern of behaviour or harm, and it wasn't done with ill intent. I'm just trying to put something where it can be seen, to make something good even better.

I'll address the rest of the stuff about terms tomorrow or something. As you've probably guessed from my spelling I'm from the UK - it's 1am, and yes I am disabled, and also pretty tired.

Just chill everyone, please?

33 minutes ago, Nene said:

Where did I say I was offended? Where did I say that anyone was offended? Where did I even say that what he said was meant as ill-natured?

I even addressed that it wasn't intended in any sort of bad way.

This just makes it so tiring

You literally said what he said is condescending, that "it stung", and that he shouldn't say it anymore. If you don't want it to be "tiring" don't say stupid shit. 

EDIT: I'm not saying your opinion is invalid or stupid. I'm saying that you're complaining about something pretty rediculious and now, you're butthurt that people are calling you out.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

7 minutes ago, Statik said:

You literally said what he said is condescending, that "it stung", and that he shouldn't say it anymore. If you don't want it to be "tiring" don't say stupid shit. 

EDIT: I'm not saying your opinion is invalid or stupid. I'm saying that you're complaining about something pretty rediculious and now, you're butthurt that people are calling you out.

A thousand things sting every day. It's part of being chronically sick and a wheelchair user. It's just life. I'm not offended and raging on a path to their doorstep, just want to ask for a little thing.

It might seem ridiculous to you, but it's not to me. I watch youtube, and LTT, for a way to escape from the grind of life. It's just this little thing, like if you find a stone in your sock when you're doing something you like. It's not the end of the world, it's nothing you can't ignore, but it's just a little sting that you find in a place you usually find peace.

42 minutes ago, Nene said:

If everything everyone says gets you upset thats a you problem. 

Dont act like everyone should be upset because you are.

7 minutes ago, Nene said:

A thousand things sting every day. It's part of being chronically sick and a wheelchair user. It's just life. I'm not offended and raging on a path to their doorstep, just want to ask for a little thing.

It might seem ridiculous to you, but it's not to me. I watch youtube, and LTT, for a way to escape from the grind of life. It's just this little thing, like if you find a stone in your sock when you're doing something you like. It's not the end of the world, it's nothing you can't ignore, but it's just a little sting that you find in a place you usually find peace.

Theres absolutely no reason for this to sting. If it does then you need to work on yourself.

Nothing was said with ill will towards you or anyone else. 

Sensitive much? He said it then addressed it. Why so hung up about it?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Lemme give you my perspective.

I have autism, tourettes, ADHD, dyslexia, clinical depression, and severe anxiety. I've been to three psychiatrists for all of this. 

You wanna know what I though of when he said that? I giggled. I took it as word play and thought it was funny. I'm also the same person who does not care about the "R" word. I'll use retarded alot, and it pisses me off when people say "don't say that!" I say "fuck off, it's what I got." I never call an individual "retarded" but I do call actions and objects the latter. If there's one thing I've learned through nothing but experience: If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't help yourself.

Another example, I dated a girl who had been previously raped. Seeing R34 images would put her into a PTSD episode. However, when having a conversation with someone, she could play certain things off as a joke, or joke about sex stuff in general. She learned joking about it helped her to cope.

I'm gonna be real here. If you don't have a mental disability, shut the fuck up. Hardly anyone with mental disabilities takes offense to the stuff that people who white knight us do.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Lemme give you my perspective.

I have autism, tourettes, ADHD, dyslexia, clinical depression, and severe anxiety. I've been to three psychiatrists for all of this. 

You wanna know what I though of when he said that? I giggled. I took it as word play and thought it was funny. I'm also the same person who does not care about the "R" word. I'll use retarded alot, and it pisses me off when people say "don't say that!" I say "fuck off, it's what I got." I never call an individual "retarded" but I do call actions and objects the latter. If there's one thing I've learned through nothing but experience: If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't help yourself.

Another example, I dated a girl who had been previously raped. Seeing R34 images would put her into a PTSD episode. However, when having a conversation with someone, she could play certain things off as a joke, or joke about sex stuff in general. She learned joking about it helped her to cope.

I'm gonna be real here. If you don't have a mental disability, shut the fuck up. Hardly anyone with mental disabilities takes offense to the stuff that people who white knight us do.

This 100%.

My aunt and nieces are all autistic. On thanksgiving i was helping her put together a play set and i kept having to change bits because the damn thing used different torx screws all over the place.

Her exact words "this is retarded. What the shit were they thinking".

Ive personally never met someone who cares.

No idea why anyone would let a word that isnt directed at them hurt them. Makes no sense.

40 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

No idea why anyone would let a word that isnt directed at them hurt them.

From what I understand: The mindset is that certain people with certain mental disabilities aren't able to understand the situation, or are unable to defend themselves for one reason or another. With people like that, yeah they do need someone to defend them. But not unless someone is directing hate at them. Otherwise people are taking offense to something that is neither directed at them nor the disabled people.

1 hour ago, Nene said:

I just can't get over people who say "politically correct" in actual conversation.

Well you'll need to learn to, or you won't survive. Not everyone has your mindset.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, Nene said:

Dude what do you want me to say? If you want me to be gut-wrenchingly honest, it sounds like you're seeking sympathy and throwing around your disability so people don't argue with you and feel bad for you. Yeah, I'm sorry, that fucking sucks, but it doesn't change anything.

You clearly came here with the intent of telling people that it offended you for whatever reason that may be, and that you think that they should shape their media around your sensitivity, and ideals of censorship. Well that's not the case here, no matter your physical situation. And while the term "offensive" is an objective matter, the comment wait in no way shape or form could be perceived as offensive unless you're purely looking for an argument, or are living in a bubble.

"A thousand things sting everyday" for everybody. Everyone has their own issues and problems, whether they be physical, mental, or emotional. I don't think your particular situation gives you the right to dictate what he can and can't say on a free speech platform. Especially something as mild, and frankly, not even remotely offensive as that.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I was curious what the correct term was so I googled it... and it only gets complicated there. Apparently "differently abled": is an "outdated term"... but you can use the word "disabled" but not if referring to a parking space. You simply cant knock someone just because they have not kept "up to date" with politically correct speech... 

From my perspective - you ABSOLUTELY need to get a thicker skin. Its a very VERY good choice of words from Linus that literally cannot offend anyone, unless you WANT to be offended. Everyone has some sort of "ability", and thats whats this phrase speaks of with a little touch of fun and giggles.

My fiancee has physical disabilities and therefore has a 90% disabled ID card (which comes in really handy sometimes btw ? ) and i myself have PTSD, depression, anxiety disorder, social phobia and an eating disorder (have been in a clinic once and will do so again in the next months) - so we both are literally different-abled *kek*. I have a hard time myself about not taking things said to me personally and get hurt, but its getting better if you work on it. Don't take things more serious then needed!

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB