Building a 800€ pc for a friend

Hello,a friend of mine finally wants a nice gaming rig and I volunteered to help him build it. I am just not up to date what the best parts might be. The budget is strict and we need to get keyboard and monitor aswell. I could use some advice boys :) !

My thoughts: His main game is rainbow six, shouldnt be to heavy ~144 fps might be possible

maybe a b40m motherboard of some kind, a ryzen 5 2600 and a gtx 1660 super alongside with 16 giggs ddr 4 dual channeled, 120 gb ssd and 1 tb hdd + full hd 120 hz monitor (22-24inch)

My system has similar specs, but I built it nearly a year ago and I think I should be able to do better now (but I really have no clue) It doesnt need to be fancy, just functional, please hit me up with some suggestions, noise doesnt matter, it doesnt have to be clean or rgb.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and dropp a comment :)) ! 

PS: We are from germany, but this shouldnt have such a massive effect r8?

I’m assuming you mean “b450”

lowballing as hard as I can here.  At least some of this (maybe all of it) will be useless.

If you don’t need Nvidia there are some super cheap rx590s now with only slightly lower performance but theyre $100 cheaper.

there are some big m.2 SSDs out that are the same price or even cheaper as that tiny ssd/storage combo. Faster too.  

Gonna need 144hz for 144fps.  Freesynch if you go with the rx580, gsynch if you go with the 1660S.  makes things tons smoother I understand.  If you do go with the 580/590 ignore the dvi port.  Makes sure the monitor has DisplayPort.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hello, Thanks for your response. 

We r definitally concidering a rx 590, thanks for that tipp. It comes in at 200€ here and the gtx 1660 super is 240€, if the budget gets thingt we may cut corners there. Unfortunally the ssd storage combo is still cheaper for us here. M.2 SSDS are not rlly affordable (~70€ for 500 gigs). We found a monitor on sale ~190€ which seems just great. (it has free sync, and may have g sync compatibility, thats to be researched tho). We r definitally cutting corners on casing and maybe even psu, dont wanna go over 40€ for that component. 

I found some ram that looks great, but I dont know, maybe some one could help me with that ?

https://www.amazon.de/G-Skill-AEGIS-F4-3000C16D-16GISB-Memory-2x8GB/dp/B01HFR8R2S/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2ACUY8A50R3B8&keywords=g.+skill+aegis+f4-3000c16d&qid=1575395552&sprefix=g.+skill+aegis+F4%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-1

Thanks for the tipps so far :)

6 minutes ago, Bladzy said:

Hello, Thanks for your response. 

We r definitally concidering a rx 590, thanks for that tipp. It comes in at 200€ here and the gtx 1660 super is 240€, if the budget gets thingt we may cut corners there. Unfortunally the ssd storage combo is still cheaper for us here. M.2 SSDS are not rlly affordable (~70€ for 500 gigs). We found a monitor on sale ~190€ which seems just great. (it has free sync, and may have g sync compatibility, thats to be researched tho). We r definitally cutting corners on casing and maybe even psu, dont wanna go over 40€ for that component. 

I found some ram that looks great, but I dont know, maybe some one could help me with that ?

https://www.amazon.de/G-Skill-AEGIS-F4-3000C16D-16GISB-Memory-2x8GB/dp/B01HFR8R2S/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2ACUY8A50R3B8&keywords=g.+skill+aegis+f4-3000c16d&qid=1575395552&sprefix=g.+skill+aegis+F4%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-1

Thanks for the tipps so far :)

What matters for memory is speed and cas.  The speed is listed but the cas isn’t which makes it kind of an unknown.

it’s probably fine though.

from what I’ve been reading here the attitude used to be “Ryzen is super sensitive to memory speed! Get the absolute fastest stuff possible!”

it’s still true but the attitude seems to have relaxed a bit.  People started recommending 3200mhz 16 cas, then 3000mhz cas 16 for lowball machines.

this isn’t a 3700x though.  Cas is probably still important, but I’m suspecting that even 3000mhz isn’t super critical for a 2600.  The lower the speed of the memory the lower the cas can be.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Most likely smarter to just get a 500GB ssd instead of small ssd and hdd. You can always add more storage later and 1tb hdd offer bad value as you can get 2TB for 60€ and 4tb for 95€.

10 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Most likely smarter to just get a 500GB ssd instead of small ssd and hdd. You can always add more storage later and 1tb hdd offer bad value as you can get 2TB for 60€ and 4tb for 95€.

We went away from that option cauz we hit budget with our current plan, we opt for a 1tb hhd and getting an ssd later on at the moment, we also removed keyboard from our budged since its christmas soon.

35 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What matters for memory is speed and cas.  The speed is listed but the cas isn’t which makes it kind of an unknown.

it’s probably fine though.

from what I’ve been reading here the attitude used to be “Ryzen is super sensitive to memory speed! Get the absolute fastest stuff possible!”

it’s still true but the attitude seems to have relaxed a bit.  People started recommending 3200mhz 16 cas, then 3000mhz cas 16 for lowball machines.

this isn’t a 3700x though.  Cas is probably still important, but I’m suspecting that even 3000mhz isn’t super critical for a 2600.  The lower the speed of the memory the lower the cas can be.

thanks, we might end up taking this memory and a r5 2600x, I ll post the whole plan (at this moment) in a couple of secs

4 minutes ago, Bladzy said:

thanks, we might end up taking this memory and a r5 2600x, I ll post the whole plan (at this moment) in a couple of secs

My memory is the difference between the normals and the x ones is mostly the cooler and binning.  If you’re going to use the stock cooler it could be a good idea.

The plan at this very moment is: a cheap micro atx case with motherboard Asus Prime B450M-A Mainboard Sockel AM4 (mATX, AMD AM4, DDR4-Speicher, natives M.2, USB 3.1 Gen 2)

with this CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Prozessor (Basistakt: 3.6Hz, 6 Kerne, Socket AM4) YD260XBCAFBOX

This RAM: G.Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16D-16GISB Memory 16GB DDR4 ( 2x8GB )

This GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC Ultra Black Gaming, 06G-P4-1066-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fan, Metal Backplate

And this PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S 450W PC-PSU

and HDD: WD Blue 1TB Internal Harddrive (8,9 cm (3,5 Zoll)), SATA 6 Gb/s BULK WD10EZEX

And finally this Monitor: AOC Gaming C24G1 59,9 cm (23,6 Zoll) Curved Monitor (FHD, HDMI, 1ms Reaktionszeit, DisplayPort, 144 Hz, 1920 x 1080 Pixel, Free-Sync) schwarz

Do you see anything right away that wouldnt work out or is straight up a dumb idea ? some of those are deals and we might buy it today if soone finds any mistakes made by me

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is the difference between the normals and the x ones is mostly the cooler and binning.  If you’re going to use the stock cooler it could be a good idea.

we ll use the stock cooler and it also has higher boost clock

AOC Gaming C24G1 This monitor has free sync, does this mean its g sync compatible ? (I am not into that, and I couldnt find out)