Need to build now, but no 3950x... help

So, I’m a media professional really needing to finally upgrade my 3770k build to something in the high end but not quite tr4 range now that I can finally afford to. However, there are no 3950’s to be found today and I don’t know what to do in the unknown amount of time before they are actually in stock... please advise and thanks.

john

I use premiere pro, after effects and various AE plugins from red giant and video copilot. Also photoshop, and illustrator, and often several of or all of these at the same time. Looking to get 64gb of ram, 2070/80 super probably and some gen 4 name’s for software and cache.

Just need to be patient, usually on new product launches they get bought up quickly by scalpers who try and flip them for large profits the first month or 2. Usually by about month 3, things settle down and return to normal with stock.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

There's always the option of buying a processor like Ryzen 3600 for example, and use it for a couple months or until 3950 is easy to order, in stock.

Then buy the 3950 and sell your 3600 for something like 10-25% off - you'll easily find buyers for a popular/competitive processor like Ryzen 3600

The 3600 is probably more than twice as powerful as 3770k

Or buy a Ryzen 2600 for ~115$, it's probably 50%+ more powerful than 3770k ... sell it for 75$ or more when 3950x is in stock.

I literally watched this processor like a hawk but gave up after couple hundred page refreshes yesterday morning. I went to a doctor's appointment to get some blood work and right as the needle as jammed into my forearm, I heard my phone buzzing in my pocket but I waited 15 minutes to see what my phone was alerting me about and it was because at 9 am CST Amazon finally had the 3950X available to sell but it sold out in less than 15 minutes. I was so angry lol ??.I did decide to check ebay not long after and sure enough there were assholes on there selling the same processor for at least $1000. They are not getting my money and I'd rather wait till they are back in stock ?

I'd check the benchmarks for the Ryzen 3600 and 3700 on your tools and see if it is a significant enough improvement to increase your earnings and get that set up now while you look for a 3950 to drop in. The 2700 is also an option, but I'm not sure how it's ram compatibility works. 

The thing I'm noticing is, if your current work machine is cutting into your earnings, it's better to replace it with something better, even if you can't get the full thing you want yet. 

5 hours ago, pixelrubbish said:

So, I’m a media professional really needing to finally upgrade my 3770k build to something in the high end but not quite tr4 range now that I can finally afford to. However, there are no 3950’s to be found today and I don’t know what to do in the unknown amount of time before they are actually in stock... please advise and thanks.

john

Grab something now to hold you over like a 3600 which will be a huge upgrade for what  you do and then buy a 3950x when its in stock you will get like 130$ of the 190$ back on the 3600, in the used market

10 hours ago, graberweg said:

I literally watched this processor like a hawk but gave up after couple hundred page refreshes yesterday morning. I went to a doctor's appointment to get some blood work and right as the needle as jammed into my forearm, I heard my phone buzzing in my pocket but I waited 15 minutes to see what my phone was alerting me about and it was because at 9 am CST Amazon finally had the 3950X available to sell but it sold out in less than 15 minutes. I was so angry lol ??.I did decide to check ebay not long after and sure enough there were assholes on there selling the same processor for at least $1000. They are not getting my money and I'd rather wait till they are back in stock ?

Why is someone an asshole if they are trying to flip something for a profit?  Supply and demand.  I am sorry that not everyone cares about the "community" and not everyone is all about tech and gaming.  I am never going to blame someone for hustling instead of sitting on their ass.  Is it fair?  probably not since AMD should have had better stock but maybe I am not jaded because I got a 3950X on launch.  On the flip side I have been on the other end where I paid a premium to get a case that was sold out since I paid $350 for a $200 case.  Insane for most people but for a lot of people anything more than a potato of a computer is insane waste of money.  

Either way the 3950X will come but if it's worth anything as a now former 3900X owner, the R9 3900X is still a really great high core count CPU that goes toe to toe with a Threadripper 2950X and is available for $500

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

21 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

but if it's worth anything as a now former 3900X owner, the R9 3900X is still a really great high core count CPU that goes toe to toe with a Threadripper 2950X and is available for $500

Yeah i was going to say 3900x is still perfectly suitable for what he needs in the meantime, and will be a definite upgrade.  As somebody who had the none hyper-threaded sister of the 3700, the 3570 and going to a basic 3600 the difference is profound, hes still getting better then 9900k performance in most work related applications related to a professional

21 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

Why is someone an asshole if they are trying to flip something for a profit?  Supply and demand.  

I don't think anybody is saying it should be illegal, but rightfully its going to annoy people, as obviously its selfish, albeit profitable

Philosophically one can make money by contributing to society, or one can make money by exploiting society, the best businesses probably have to thread a little bit of a balance of both.  No reason to take personal offence if one chooses purely the latter, people are free to do as they wish, but nobody is going to look back at said persons life who is known for such acts, if its all they do, and go "WOW What a wonderful contribution they made", although likewise how people view others based off business decisions may not tell the whole story of what said type of person they were in all parts of their life (maybe said flipper was a great parent and family member always looking out for others close to them, despite their selfish public business practices etc)

4 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

Yeah i was going to say 3900x is still perfectly suitable for what he needs in the meantime, and will be a definite upgrade.  As somebody who had the none hyper-threaded sister of the 3700, the 3570 and going to a basic 3600 the difference is profound, hes still getting better then 9900k performance in most work related applications related to a professional

I don't think anybody is saying it should be illegal, but rightfully its going to annoy people, as obviously its selfish, albeit profitable

Philosophically one can make money by contributing to society, or one can make money by exploiting society, the best businesses probably have to thread a little bit of a balance of both.  No reason to take personal offence if one chooses purely the latter, people are free to do as they wish, but nobody is going to look back at said persons life who is known for such acts, if its all they do, and go "WOW What a wonderful contribution they made", although likewise how people view others based off business decisions may not tell the whole story of what said type of person they were in all parts of their life (maybe said flipper was a great parent and family member always looking out for others close to them, despite their selfish public business practices etc)

So here is the thing we celebrate when people fight to have the best prices like on sites on Amazon, with sellers sometimes taking razor thin margins, yet it's philosophically incorrect for that same person to make a healthier margin?  On Ebay some people are asking $1500 for a 3950X and while that is a lot of a $750 chip this isn't oil or water we are talking about.  No one needs a high core count computer chip so the morality dilemma of jacking up prices is mute to me.  Also you would have to be an idiot to by that chip for that amount especially with Sky Lake readily available and the 3960X being $1400.  At the end of the day you are the consumer and you have the right to buy or not buy whatever, no one is putting a gun to your head and saying buy this chip for $1000+, sure AMD needs to get supply up and it should have been more plentiful.  Honestly I am even okay with with AMD not having stock for now, worked with Nvidia and the RTX 2080 ti.  It's a halo product and if people want to fight over the cost and stock let then, it just adds to the hype and prestige of the product 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

I'm saying people will find it annoying, and if it doesn't bother you, then hopefully likewise it shouldn't bother you that others care.  Its not food or water, but like OP mentioned it is a means to make money for him, which is essential if you want decent food or water, so ?‍♂️

Imagine you made money delivering goods, and you could deliver 5x more good with a truck but the only trucks are bought buy people reselling them for 2x the cost, in this case there are still people not receiving there goods even if you don't care about the worker who wants a truck.  its exaggerating the issue of supply and demand, especially with regards to actual work being done in the world.  Its not a flippers fault that AMD isn't pumping out enough CPU, but it does create a vacuum where work could be done and there isn't, while inflating the problem of (lack of) supply, by having multiple CPUs (trucks in the analogy) sitting idle doing nothing. 

Thank you everyone for all of your replies and insight! ? It is great to hear that the 3900, or even 3600 would be a noticeable improvement and honestly I don’t even know if the 3950 was in budget or not, was just going to try and squeeze it in. The rest of the build so far Was looking like: Asrock x570 Taichi, Gskill Neo 64gb (2 of the 32gb 16x2 kits??‍♂️), and maybe the corsair mp600 for a couple of the m.2 slots, probably just a gen 3 Samsung for slot 3... otherwise just looking for a good deal on the 2070/80 gpus. Seems like these cards don’t run too hot, so was going to use stock cooler for anything but the 3950, but for air cooling that ma620m from cooler master looked ok... anybody getting anything cool this season?

@Skiiwee29 @mariushm @graberweg @Harry Voyager @SMBGUY @Jrasero @Otto_iii

On 11/26/2019 at 2:58 AM, mariushm said:

There's always the option of buying a processor like Ryzen 3600 for example, and use it for a couple months or until 3950 is easy to order, in stock.

Then buy the 3950 and sell your 3600 for something like 10-25% off - you'll easily find buyers for a popular/competitive processor like Ryzen 3600

The 3600 is probably more than twice as powerful as 3770k

Or buy a Ryzen 2600 for ~115$, it's probably 50%+ more powerful than 3770k ... sell it for 75$ or more when 3950x is in stock.

But 3600 isn't that only 6 core ? 

He would probly be better off going with something like a 3800x 8 core till he could get his hand on the 16 core 3950x? 

Or maybe even the 3900x if he could get his hands on one