Navi to go pro - AMD launches workstation version 5700

williamcll

After the Radeon VII, the 5700 now gets a Pro edition and also comes with the virtualLink USB-C connector that Nvidia cards get.

The Radeon Pro workstation series is receiving an update. The WX series will be succeeded by the W series. This is probably due to the fact that AMD is trying to unify naming schemas across the whole Radeon lineup. It is still not perfect, also constant changes are not helping, as customers are just required to constantly check what’s the latest.The latest is Radeon Pro W5700, a Navi 10 based workstation graphics card. AMD calls it the first 7nm workstation card. It is not a 16GB model, but 8GB GDDR6.

This is not the full chip, Pro W5700 features 36 Compute Units (2304 Stream Processors), which aligns with WX 7100 and Quadro RTX 4000, to which AMD is comparing their new model.In terms of actual performance, the maximum 32-bit floating-point throughput is 8.9 TFLOPs, this is more than RTX 4000 and much more than the Polaris-based WX series.The W5700 features six display connectors: 5x mini-DP and USB-C (this is the first Radeon Pro card to have this connector).image.png.466de6e13a1f86d5b6dde22be485586a.png 

Source:https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-radeon-pro-w5700-with-2304-stream-processors-for-799-usd

https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-w5700

Thoughts:Considering that the Radeon VII is also built on the TSMC 7nm node, can you really call the W5700 the first 7nm workstation card? Regardless it certainly looks like a better deal than what Nvidia is offering at a similar performance.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Was only matter of time. The big die Navi will follow for sure. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

>5 miniDP

Hope a board partner makes a Eyefinity 6 card again just for fun.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Is the entire professional graphics card market a bold money making scam?

Take Graphics Card X and make it a "Professional" model.

Profit.

Rinse.

Repeat.

I have yet to have an incompatibility issue using the standard GTX 1080 in my Dell "workstation", so the idea that I would pay twice for a pro version (that's usually clocked a bit lower) is just odd.

9 hours ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Profit.

Rinse.

Repeat.

I have yet to have an incompatibility issue using the standard GTX 1080 in my Dell "workstation", so the idea that I would pay twice for a pro version (that's usually clocked a bit lower) is just odd.

Licensing for certain Programmes raise the cost considerably though the enduser will only see it listed as supported for a certain application it takes a whole lot of work on the development side (drivers etc). Also these products are more of a liability to the manufacturer where they have to work in mission critical scenarios so it’s understandable they will let people pay mirror the extra risk and care they have to take with the product. It’s not just taking a card and slapping a pro sticker on it. 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

9 hours ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Profit.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Workstation cards are what enable the consumer cards to exist. There are nowhere near enough gaming cards sold to justify the R&D costs of the technology.

There are also many more differences than just clock speeds. Compute functions are typically unlocked, memory is error correcting and chips are binned. Not to mention support. These are things that are very important in the industrial/commercial/compute sector, and they pay for it accordingly.

Then they take these parts and cut them down in price and features and sell them to consumers at a more palatable price to supplement their revenue.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

15 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Workstation cards are what enable the consumer cards to exist. There are nowhere near enough gaming cards sold to justify the R&D costs of the technology.

There are also many more differences than just clock speeds. Compute functions are typically unlocked, memory is error correcting and chips are binned. Not to mention support. These are things that are very important in the industrial/commercial/compute sector, and they pay for it accordingly.

Then they take these parts and cut them down in price and features and sell them to consumers at a more palatable price to supplement their revenue.

What you pay for with a workstation card is validation. They have to test that card with many, many different pieces of software, workstation specific drivers are made to ensure compatibility. All that takes extra time, so should cost extra. 

A consumer card may work with all the professional software (as long as the software itself doesn't recognise that it's a consumer card and intentionally block it out), but only because all that time and money was spent validating the workstation card

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

What you pay for with a workstation card is validation. They have to test that card with many, many different pieces of software, workstation specific drivers are made to ensure compatibility. All that takes extra time, so should cost extra. 

A consumer card may work with all the professional software (as long as the software itself doesn't recognise that it's a consumer card and intentionally block it out), but only because all that time and money was spent validating the workstation card

I agree, I was alluding to that with "support", it encompasses a lot. They need to also test and optimize a buttload for super compute scaling and the like as well.

2 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

you are wrong in that, the consumer sales are their biggest earners for both amd and nvidia, the workstation market is a nice bonus

49 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

you are wrong in that, the consumer sales are their biggest earners for both amd and nvidia, the workstation market is a nice bonus

I believe you're wrong. Looking at Nvidia's financial reports, they report under 2 billion in "gaming" revenue as compared to almost 12 billion overall. Workstation cards aren't just workstation cards, they get dumped into server solutions, super computers, cluster applications with Tesla cards, etc.

Do you have a source other than just your opinion?

8 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I believe you're wrong. Looking at Nvidia's financial reports, they report under 2 billion in "gaming" revenue as compared to almost 12 billion overall. Workstation cards aren't just workstation cards, they get dumped into server solutions, super computers, cluster applications with Tesla cards, etc.

server is not workstation. its two very different segments both in volume and margin. they also look for 2 different products. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

server is not workstation. its two very different segments both in volume and margin. they also look for 2 different products. 

Quadro is used in servers, often. This is even suggested by Nvidia themselves: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/graphics-cards-for-virtualization/

Further, you're pretty much just moving goalposts. In your previous post you stated that gaming is their biggest earner. Now that you realize you were wrong, you're arguing the semantics of their professional and commercial naming schemes and implementations. 

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

In your previous post you stated that gaming is their biggest earner. Now that you realize you were wrong, you're arguing the semantics of their professional and commercial naming schemes and implementations. 

i never claimed that. im a different poster. 

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

Quadro is used in servers, often. This is even suggested by Nvidia themselves: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/graphics-cards-for-virtualization/

and those are sold in bulk to servers........... which would go under their server branch when it comes to income. as those would be the people distributing them.

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i never claimed that. im a different poster. 

and those are sold in bulk to servers........... which would go under their server branch when it comes to income. as those would be the people distributing them.

While I did get mixed up with who I was replying to, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make to me.

I never debated where they report Quadro sales, I was pointing out that they do indeed use "workstation" cards in servers quite often after I saw you incorrectly state that they don't.

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

While I did get mixed up with who I was replying to, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make to me.

I never debated where they report Quadro sales, I was pointing out that they do indeed use "workstation" cards in servers quite often after I saw you incorrectly state that they don't.

well i was mostly reffering to big bulk servers that use passive cards, so yes i didnt immidietly think of the non-passive variants, thats on me. 

On 11/20/2019 at 10:53 AM, VegetableStu said:

WHY DON'T BOARD PARTNERS DO THIS?! although the lack of HDMI and the prospect of buying new cables or adaptors would turn many away, but DAMMIT LOOK SIX PORTS

... actually, HDMI over type-c is also a thing. WHY NOT TYPE C EVERYTHING AAA *wishlist screaming intensifies*

God how rad would it be for a consumer card to come with 6-8 USB-C ports on the back. Throw a dongle or two each for DP and HDMI in the box and suddenly you have the most flexible card in the world. Especially if you added in a proper USB driver to use the extra ports for non-monitor devices. 

On 11/22/2019 at 1:58 AM, Vitamanic said:

From the latest Q3 earnings report.

image.png.079ccb0dc4af1fb5f1d129466455162e.png

Gaming the biggest by FAR. Think you may have compared a quarterly revenue of gaming to the entire year total revenue or something?.