Help me choose parts for my new pc.

Hey, i have been thinking of byuing a new pc. Right now i am thinking of gtx 1660ti with i5-9400f, 16gb ram 2666 MHz. 2tb HDD. But i can't choose a motherboard. If you can help me choose a mobo that would be great. Also tell me what you think about the other parts. I will be glad to hear your opinion.

9 minutes ago, AbdulAziz113 said:

i5-9400f

Any particular reason you are choosing this? Highly recommend going Ryzen right now in this price bracket. 

Also, what will you be doing with this PC?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

The main reason there’s this gigantic shift towards AMD AM4 stuff and away from intel atm actually is the motherboards. AM4 has been guaranteed by AMD to be usable for at minimum several more years and it’s not impossible that come 2020-2021 anything with less than 16 threads is going to be in trouble gaming wise.  There’s an argument that anything fast with 12 threads will be OK, but less than 8 threads is real unlikely.  Going AM4 has a lot of future proof.  No new mobo.  A lot of people are buying higher end b450s and putting the cheapo 6 core in them, which is currently a 2600.  Slower than a 9400f for gaming, but a good deal cheaper, and the mobo and ram won’t have to be swapped for years.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

shift towards AMD AM4 stuff and away from intel atm actually is the motherboards

not actually, its for price and the fact the CPUs are ore or less allways better below the 500$ price bracket. 

17 minutes ago, AbdulAziz113 said:

Right now i am thinking of gtx 1660ti with i5-9400f

budget? the 9400f at this moment in time is a pretty poor choice. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the 9400f at this moment in time is a pretty poor choice. 

strong agree. 2600, 2600x or 3600 are a perfect paring with a 1660ti right now with an upgrade line.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

not actually, its for price and the fact the CPUs are ore or less allways better below the 500$ price bracket. 

budget? the 9400f at this moment in time is a pretty poor choice. 

Also those.  AMD mobos and that fast memory they need is expensive though.  Not having to replace them is what makes the zen stuff cheap to begin with. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

fast memory they need is expensive though

it's... really not that much more expensive. Certainly not enough it justify going Intel. Memory prices are so low right now anyway.

AMD mobos

B450 can be picked up for ~$80. 

ask me about my homelab

As others have said, you might as well go with AMD. In this tier, they actually perform better.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The main reason there’s this gigantic shift towards AMD AM4 stuff and away from intel atm actually is the motherboards. AM4 has been guaranteed by AMD to be usable for at minimum several more years and it’s not impossible that come 2020-2021 anything with less than 16 threads is going to be in trouble gaming wise.  There’s an argument that anything fast with 12 threads will be OK, but less than 8 threads is real unlikely.  Going AM4 has a lot of future proof.  No new mobo.  A lot of people are buying higher end b450s and putting the cheapo 6 core in them, which is currently a 2600.  Slower than a 9400f for gaming, but a good deal cheaper, and the mobo and ram won’t have to be swapped for years.

Uh..what?

• AM4 support ends next year. So no, there aren't several more years of support.
  • You can just as easily get an 8 core/16 thread CPU on the Intel platform, even on this socket. Which will last you a very long time.
  • Less than 16 threads is going to be a problem next year? No. Simply, no. The majority of gamers have less than 4, game devs aren't going to alienate most of their user base.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I love how instead of helping OP, this ended in a debate lol

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

2 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

it gives insight into some of the information that has been posted so op hopefully reads it all and get's a little more understanding of some tech things he/she might not know.

Asking for help on forums always* ends up in a debate about specs since it's different people recommending things.

*it doesn't always happen but it happens quite often, at least on the threads i look at however this is an overexaggeration to prove my point and should not be taken litterally

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

AMD mobos and that fast memory they need is expensive though

no?

unless you have really odd regional pricing, its unlikely to be any different pricing wise than the slower 2666mhz ram and B365 motherboards. 

18 minutes ago, Skipple said:

upgrade line.

you dont need to look at the upgrade line tho, as the 9400f is a worse option that all of those. 

4 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

Dude is going to come back to these forums in a day going "oh my god what have I done."

ask me about my homelab

6 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

ive asked for a budget for further recommendation. 

hopefully it contains country/region aswell, that way i can look at regional pricing. 

he should also look at an SSD

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

I think the point is at this price bracket at this point in time it makes far more sense to go AM4. 

That doesn't change the fact that false information shouldn't be spread ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What if their user base isn’t PC gamers though?  You maybe lived through the major iterations of the consoles?  I did.  I watched what happened.  Past tense.

Developers built games for consoles first.  They built them often to the very limit of the console to run them, and they worried about ports after the game was out.  It’s happened 3 times now.  There’s going to be a major console change soon.  Developers weren’t so good at doing multi thread when the last set came out, so low core CPUs survived, but they’re better at it now and the new consoles are slow multithread 8 cores.  4 threads won’t even work now for newer games, completely ignoring that the console thing hasn’t happens yet.  I’ve got an 8 thead, and while I’m hoping it will game in 2021 I don’t actually expect it to.  It is not impossible that developers will run to the full 16 thread limit of PS5/Scarlett, and do it in a required way, not because they have to but simply because they’re in a hurry.  Chances are low but they’re non zero.

3 bullets into one

• i didn’t say anything against the 9900k performance wise.  It’s a hella expensive chip though. And intel prices do not go down.  They make cheaper versions on different mobos but the prices do not drop. If he’s looking at a 9400f a 9900k is already off the table.  I don’t mention it at all because I’m pretty sure that for purposes of this discussion it doesn’t exist. 

Edited by Bombastinator
Bullet added

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That doesn't change the fact that false information shouldn't be spread ;)

So don’t.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It is not impossible that developers will run to the full 16 thread limit of PS5/Scarlett, and do it in a required way, not because they have to but simply because they’re in a hurry

missrepresentation of console development. cores and part of Ram is made unnavavible to the developer for overhead for the OS etc. 

Consoles wont be increasing the threadcount used as companies are doing that independantly from console development.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So don’t.

the only one spreading clear missinformation has been you...........

54 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Any particular reason you are choosing this? Highly recommend going Ryzen right now in this price bracket. 

Also, what will you be doing with this PC?

I guess just playing games.

2 minutes ago, AbdulAziz113 said:

I guess just playing games.

Where are you located ? And what is the budget for the complete build ?

45 minutes ago, Skipple said:

strong agree. 2600, 2600x or 3600 are a perfect paring with a 1660ti right now with an upgrade line.

Last time i checked i5 9400f was 11% better than the 2600x

18 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

missrepresentation of console development. cores and part of Ram is made unnavavible to the developer for overhead for the OS etc. 

Consoles wont be increasing the threadcount used as companies are doing that independantly from console development.

the only one spreading clear missinformation has been you...........

Ok. Where ami wrong?  Every bit of ps5/Scarlett data has said 8 cores with multi threading,  thats 16 threads.  You’re saying that they’re NOT going to be multi thread?  If true that’s really important data that is diametrically opposite to not only PS and Microsoft announcements but also AMD’s.  Maybe they’re all putting out disinformation.  That’s happened before.   Knowing it’s false is still big stuff though.  Since the post you just made is the only place on earth I’ve ever seen it and I’ve been looking, I’m going to go with “doubtful”.   Without multithread the new consoles almost aren’t with doing for the console makers.  They won’t be able to muster the power to accept ports of PC games which is why they went amd65 in the first place.

I could pull the same misrepresentation BS on you because you just technically claimed all cores are for OS bit that’s stupid it can’t be what you meant.  They’ll grab some.
So They grab a core for OS. 14 thread.  They grab 2 cores 12 thread.  It might explain why all of a sudden 6 core multithread chips are so popular.  Still a lot more than 6 threads.